User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Dirt Diver OP
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Helmets off at the pump at servos

We pulled up to fill up two bikes at a service station yesterday to be signalled by the guy inside to remove our helmets before he'd turn the pump on! I just rode off and gave him the ADV salute!

Just wondering if this is becoming a normal practice in Australia (the helmets off, not me saluting people)?
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,586
its fairly common these days in qld, sa

they want to be able to see your face incase you try to rob the place or ride away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
I walked inside to pay a few months back. Didn't see the cop in his car on the other side of the forecourt. He got very fuckin excited when I walked in, helmet still on.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,156

this thread has a discussion on it. one guy says there is no law against it, but they can refuse to unlock the pump until you take the helmet off. i have heard staff at servos say it IS against the law so i don't know what the actual truth is.

personally i'm happy to take it off so the staff can chill. nice lady at rathdowney the other day said "don't bother takin' your helmet off, love too much hassle for ya".
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,009
When I worken in a servo, the boss would dock my pay for drive offs if I didn't have he rego numbers. Take a look at the cartoon. It's a shit job and at least once a week someone would pull a drive off, that was 20 years ago. Give them a break and take your lid off.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Among others, Australian Road Rider magazine (Peter Thoeming, aka The Bear) did a story on this subject and there is no law that motorcyclists must remove helmets before entering a servo.

The sticker on the shop window is invalidated by the fact the attendant authorised the pump for you, thus entering a "contract of sale" with you.

If they make it law for ALL headgear to be removed and/or advertise the fact that they won't authorise the pump until the headgear is removed with signage at the bowser they have no legal right to force you to remove your helmet upon entering the shop.

This topic has been done to death on many forums and usually ends up with members abusing each other for "not being sensitive" to how scared console operators feel when we approach, the other side of the argument is how we lose yet a bit more of our civil rights and freedoms as law abiding citizens.

I very rarely remove any of my helmets (full face, flip or dual sport styles, depending on what/where I'm riding).

And I have NEVER been asked to remove a helmet in a servo, I was once physically assaulted by another customer because he thought it was the "law" and decided he therefore should enforce said "law".

The person concerned chose to abuse me over the subject while I was actually paying for my fuel at the console, then after I had got back on my bike and put the sidestand up he came up behind me and hit me three or four times in the back of the head (glad I had my helmet on).

It is bloody hard to hold up a BMW while you are being hit in the head, by the time I'd got me and the bike balanced and back on the sidestand he'd jumped in his car and pissed off out of the servo.

I will continue to keep my helmet on when doing my usual quick refuels, if they make it mandatory for everyone to remove headgear that possibly conceals their identity (Burkas and the like included) then I will comply.

And when people here decide to abuse me for not being "sensitive" to the fears of console operators, keep in mind that I used to be one- and even back then servos were robbed at gunpoint, usually by "experienced" criminals who didn't even bother to cover their identity in any way, so they just looked like Joe Average when they walked in.

No it isn't law to remove our helmets, no we shouldn't allow ourselves to be discriminated against, yes we should leave our helmets on if we don't personally want to remove them for some reason.

We are motorcyclists, not criminals, like baseball caps with sunglasses, hoodies and Burkas, our helmets are legal apparel that we have the right to wear.

End of rant (obviously this topic really gets under my skin).

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
B1, if the nice lady said don't bother taking your helmet off, does that mean you didn't actually start to remove it until you were standing at the counter?

Kind of pointless removing it by then, if that was the case.

And yet another example of the fact that the MAJORITY of console operators don't feel threatened by motorcyclists with helmets on (and female console operators know they are the most likely of all console operators to be targeted for a robbery).

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,371
And again people are crying because somebody asked them to take a few seconds of there precious time to exercise a bit of common courtesy.

Fuck we have some sooks on here.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,666
It takes 30 seconds to take a helmet off. My day isn't that well structured that i'm going to miss those 30 seconds.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
blackness
more riding

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
It takes 30 seconds to take a helmet off. My day isn't that well structured that i'm going to miss those 30 seconds.
Ok but it is the real issue about our perceived lack of trust rather then the 30 seconds we lose?

Hoodies and religious head gear also get a similar view.
blackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,666
Wink An experiment for you to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackness View Post
Ok but it is the real issue about our perceived lack of trust rather then the 30 seconds we lose?

Pull a hoodie over the helmet and see if that works.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackness View Post

Can you blame them for lack of trust when there are riders out there who make a big scene about being asked to follow company policy and general etiquette?

To answer the original question about removing helmets at the pump I can say I have never come across it before, but I always remove it anyway because it has to come of before I enter the store...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Can you blame them for lack of trust when there are riders out there who make a big scene about being asked to follow company policy and general etiquette?

To answer the original question about removing helmets at the pump I can say I have never come across it before, but I always remove it anyway because it has to come of before I enter the store...
When I picked up my new S10 from Dalby Moto, I stopped in Toowoomba to fill her up for the ride home. As usual I took my helmet off before I refuelled the bike. As I walked into the servo to pay i followed a moslem woman in the full kit. Just a letter box slit for her eyes. She was allowed to go in like that yet they had the sticker about removing helmets etc.

Perhaps if removing your helmet upsets you, you could wear the full *BMO outfit under your helmet! That would give them a surprise when you walked in.

For me it's no big deal.

Glad to let my head cool for few minutes!

*BMO is US slang from the first Gulf War. Black Moving Object.

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,131
i were me helmet so much
i sometimes forget its on
then the nice bloke reminds me
i take it off
he gives me a free kitkat.......for me troubles
i get a min more overtime
all good
win win
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
jacksonracingcomau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
In my local Post Office where I have an account and been regular for 3 owners and several sets of staff.

Bloke who'd been there several months knew me well decided to try and be clever
I wear open face hat for all my shopping / chores, too much ag taking a hat on and off 10 times

He said "remove your helmet"
I said "why ?"
He said "identification purposes"
I said "do you know who I am ?
He said "of course I do"

I laughed in his face.

There is a difference between courtesy and stupid.

Girl on her own in servo, if I have full face, I'll remove it, never take off open face. If it's a bigger bloke than me asks me to, I shout

"Can't hear you mate, I've got a crash helmet on, have to , it's the law "

Borrowed from
Did you know you've got a banana in your ear ?
Sorry, can't hear you, I've got a banana in my ear.
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote