Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
...Honestly, if the tailgate can take the weight of the ramp hanging off of it, with the bike on the ramp, it can take less than 1/2 the weight of the bike on it....
That's the problem, the tailgate isn't really strong enough to take the weight of a GS on a ramp (when you're loading it) with all that weight at a point in the middle at the edge. You might get away with it a couple times but it will bend it. They are weak tailgates and I feel a little uncomfortable loading up my XR650L some times. Tacomaworld has threads on how to add steel inside the tailgate to stiffen it up if you really want to keep it straight but then you have to think about the cables on the sides and you might break those. I still like my Tacoma though.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto224 View Post
I'm not sure about a 2001 1150 but on a 1200GS NEVER use tie down straps on the handlebars, you will bend them. I would guess that the 1150 is the same. Like LaurelPerryOnLand already mentioned, visit these links to properly tie down your bike.

15 HOW DO I TIE DOWN MY BIKE FOR TRANSPORTING?
http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853572

Thanks for pointing out the BMW tiedown site. I looked through the instructions. I'd have to say with my bikes anyways, I will reject most of their thoughts. Only because they are tieing it much to low on the bike itself. To prevent top end sway of the machine [especially the comparitevely tall GS series of machine] I always tie it to a high mark on the bike. Tire height is unacceptable for me.
As for tieing to the handlebars, I will listen to your thoughts on this one, it's a good one. I have been tieing down bikes by either the top triple tree, or the part of the handlebar right at the top clamp. But if you say the BMW GS/GSA handlebar is soft, I'm listening. I will continue to tie the front of the bike to a part of the triple clamp rather than the frame. Eliminating the tire from moving from it's front straight ahead location is paramount to retaining the rigidness of the tiedowns.
I regularly truck my bikes down to southern Cal during the winter,,,,never had an issue. A few years ago, 6 of us had our bikes tied down in a 18 ft trailer. The guy who was driving fucked up seriously [let her run away going down a hill on Interstate 5 in southern Oregon] and the truck/trailer went into a serious speed wobble which got worse and worse. The trailer ended up side slapping both sides of the truck, before running off the road in front of the still attached truck. Once we cleared everyone as being ok, We went to check on the bikes, which ended up gang piling each other in a mass of wheels, engines, and crunched plastic. The one thing that was not damaged or bent at all were the tie down straps or the handlebars. The hook pins that were bolted to the floor around the frame of the trailer had ripped right out, or the hooks of the tie downs had bent open enough to let go of the floor hooks before almost springing back to their original shape. The only handlebar that bent were the ones on the Ducati Elephant 900 that had aluminium bars from what I remember.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 611
Why not put the Tacoma on the back of the GS and home
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 409
rent a U-haul trailer
Old 02-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
LeftCoastLefty
Long Time Lurker

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerz View Post
I have decided to use a 2x12 plank that extends from the front of the box out over the tailgate. When the bike is strapped in place the weight on the front end will hold the plank in place and if the rear wheel extends out onto the tailgate it will take some of the weight off from the end gate.
I have a 02 Tacoma and I agree with everyone else that the gate is about as strong as a noodle. I've bent it just standing on it. Your 2x12 idea is good, but you also need some support under the ramp too. I did something similar with my first bike, but it only weighed 317 lbs.
LeftCoastLefty is offline   Reply With Quote