Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Nice, I think I'm going to be doing one of these in the next month or so. I intend to slowly improve it over the next year or so, but I think that if I at least get better bearings in it from day 1 it should be reliable enough to get me from Florida to Ohio, yes?

Also I wonder about the Chinese rubber tires.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Nice, I think I'm going to be doing one of these in the next month or so. I intend to slowly improve it over the next year or so, but I think that if I at least get better bearings in it from day 1 it should be reliable enough to get me from Florida to Ohio, yes?

Also I wonder about the Chinese rubber tires.
Don't sweat the tires, just keep them properly inflated. Mine are about 7 years old with many thoushands of miles on them.

Jim

PS One day I will get a spare though.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #18
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Don't sweat the tires, just keep them properly inflated. Mine are about 7 years old with many thoushands of miles on them.

Jim

PS One day I will get a spare though.
Sweat the tires. They will likely fail and are rated at 55mph. I lost the center of mine at 65 on myfirst trip. Stopped at fleetfarm 10 miles later and bought two Carlysle wheel/tires.

Seriously. Sweat the tires

Looks good though. Might weld enough tie down points for hauling 3 bikes.
I also added a hunk of 1/4" angle across the front and extending 1.5'. Stiffens it up and tieing down 3 bikes is easier.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #19
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
your insulation is exposed, and you do hot work in your garage - there is a fire risk?

fiberglass insulation does not burn.

[
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #20
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
fiberglass insulation does not burn.

[
Glass doesn't burn, but paper does.

As I was looking back at the pic I saw the gasoline cans in the corner - and I thought about how I was welding in my garage with full and empty gas cans (more fumes! - even worse). Next time, I'll be moving them out of the garage, and well out of the way.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdino View Post
ED, I re-packed the bearings with some good Mobil grease. I don't think I should get bearing buddies because the newer trailers have grease fittings on the inner part of the hub (if anyone thinks otherwise please comment). As far as the seals, they are a standard rubber. And on the part of the axle where the seal rides, it was a little rough so I took some Emory cloth and smoothed it out.
Having the grease fittings on the hub is at least as good as bearing buddies as it gets grease to the inner bearing better than bearing buddies....but bearing buddies keep a little pressure inside the hub, so they can breathe without sucking water or dirt in....decent ones are $20 or so...having both is good insurance....cause I'm paranoid of a failure...had one once in the middle of nowhere...don't want to do that ever again. If height is not an issue, taller US made trailer tires (Carlysle) are better...BUT Carlysle also has non US ones....so watch out!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Sweat the tires. They will likely fail and are rated at 55mph. I lost the center of mine at 65 on myfirst trip. Stopped at fleetfarm 10 miles later and bought two Carlysle wheel/tires.

A statistic of one doesn't make a trend. Many many of us have safely run the stock tires for thousands of miles. Changing the tires effectively adds 50% to the price of the trailer. If you are going to do that you might as well buy a higher priced trailer with different wheels and tires. Oh, and don't be fooled, many of the trailers you buy come with the same tires as the HF ones.

Seriously, don't sweat the tires.

Jim
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
A statistic of one doesn't make a trend. Many many of us have safely run the stock tires for thousands of miles. Changing the tires effectively adds 50% to the price of the trailer. If you are going to do that you might as well buy a higher priced trailer with different wheels and tires. Oh, and don't be fooled, many of the trailers you buy come with the same tires as the HF ones.

Jim
If you are paranoid of the tires, here's what I did...and I'm paranoid. With discount coupons and such, Harbor freight has a laser/infrared hand held non contacting thermometer for $20 or so....If I'm on the freeway at 70 for hours I dash into a rest area and hit the hubs and tread with it. 130F is no sweat on the hubs with premium grease, and the tread is usually very close to that as well...on my 4.80-8 tires....12" tires run run a bunch cooler
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
OP, nice job on the trailer! I have the HF folder, I use it around the yard and store it inside, so I just used 1/2" plywood for the floor. I had bought some thin $teel for the floor, and it would have made the trailer too heavy for me to tilt up and store. I would have registered it, but the DMV here makes it such a hassle, and I have a friend with a larger, already registered trailer. Those supports for the casters that allow you to roll the folded trailer around are pretty tender - I reinforced them after one twisted when the little caster wheel got stalled by some debris on the floor.

One of my neighbors had the 8" tired version of the trailer, and both tires had tread separation in less than 200 miles. Maybe they were underinflated? Maybe they were crap tires? I have a boat trailer with 12" tires and bearing buddies, and on long trips also check the temperature of the hubs every hour (they should be warm, not hot to the touch - I don't use a thermometer) and give the tires a visual check as well. One time I did find a large bubble forming on the sidewall, so it is worth keeping an eye on any trailer tire, and always carry at least one spare.

I remembered this post regarding small trailer tires in a similar thread - using 155/80R12 tires (Geo Metro size) being a thing to try:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=21

HapHazard screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 12:01 PM
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
drtdino OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I just purchased two new Kenda wheel and tire combo's , a weld on folding tongue jack, and (8) recessed d-rings. The only other thing I want to get now is a box that sits on the front... But I will most likely hold off till next year on that...

drtdino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdino View Post
Is there better bearings that I can install? I drive to Florida a couple of times a year (1200 miles each way), I am planning on getting the two new Kendall wheel and tire assemblies and keeping the originals as spares that I will mount on the front a frame.
I wouldn't sweat the OE bearings if you clean & repack them. As far as bearing buddys, (Mine has the zirks on the hub too) I don't know if they'd fit. I lost one of the bearing caps & the only place that had that size was Harbor Freight.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,257
Quote:

Jim
PM Papalobster and ask him about HF tires. He told me to replace them right away, I said yeah whatever. Well, when your trailer gets squiggly on the highway and you slow down, then your left tire tread goes rolling by you....well....change the fucking tires

They aint rated for 55mph MAX because they are good tires.

Glad you've been lucky. Keep on keepin on. Read some good stuff from ya, but we're just going to disagree on shitty chinese tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
If you are paranoid of the tires, here's what I did...and I'm paranoid. With discount coupons and such, Harbor freight has a laser/infrared hand held non contacting thermometer for $20 or so....If I'm on the freeway at 70 for hours I dash into a rest area and hit the hubs and tread with it. 130F is no sweat on the hubs with premium grease, and the tread is usually very close to that as well...on my 4.80-8 tires....12" tires run run a bunch cooler
My cargo is worth more to me than $100 worth of new tires.

Good on the OP for doing the right thing for safety and longevity.

FWIW, I made it less than 20 miles at 65-70 mph before the tread came off. And yeah, it was exactly inflated before leaving town.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #28
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
you had better clean and grease the wheel bearings!!! Plus get an extra set of wheel bearings to keep on hand when traveling especially if going any distance. measure the spindle to make sure the bearings aren't an unusual size. the ones on my trailer weren't a popular standard size and were only available from HF.

I had one side seize on the way to Barber, and what should have been an easy fix by going to walmart or any parts store for replacement bearings ended up being an all day ordeal. ended up using a set of head set bearings from a Carabella motorcycle fork and Al shims from a coke can to get the inner race to fit the spindle.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #29
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
PM Papalobster and ask him about HF tires. He told me to replace them right away, I said yeah whatever. Well, when your trailer gets squiggly on the highway and you slow down, then your left tire tread goes rolling by you....well....change the fucking tires

They aint rated for 55mph MAX because they are good tires.

Glad you've been lucky. Keep on keepin on. Read some good stuff from ya, but we're just going to disagree on shitty chinese tires

My cargo is worth more to me than $100 worth of new tires.

Good on the OP for doing the right thing for safety and longevity.

FWIW, I made it less than 20 miles at 65-70 mph before the tread came off. And yeah, it was exactly inflated before leaving town.
What size were your tires?

I still say a statistic of one is not a trend. I drove 400 miles to pick up my GS at over 70mph the whole way with no issues. I've carted 1000 pounds for hundreds of miles above 55mph, no issues. My statistic is as valid as yours.

Jim
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #30
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:

Looks good though. Might weld enough tie down points for hauling 3 bikes.
I also added a hunk of 1/4" angle across the front and extending 1.5'. Stiffens it up and tieing down 3 bikes is easier.

+1. I always carry TWO spares. and a compact cross wrench, cheap bottle jack. Been there, done that. Load Range C tires are the proper upgrade at replacement time