ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #16
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
in this thread shoria doesn't make a very good impression.......
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=shorai
just a matter how somebody's experience are.
al though life po battery is the future i will stick a couple of years with normal batteries until the life po are more reliable and cheaper
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
in this thread shoria doesn't make a very good impression.......
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=shorai
just a matter how somebody's experience are.
al though life po battery is the future i will stick a couple of years with normal batteries until the life po are more reliable and cheaper
Joel W is using an LFX 18 in those tests ... which is way too small for bikes tested with.

Joel's tests a correctly sized AGM battery vs an LiFePO4 battery that's several sizes too small. most LiFePO4 mfg grossly over rates their batteries and spec battery for summer use with a perfectly tuned bike.

for example Shorai LFX 21 tests out at about 6 amp hours actual with a 1C discharge. mfg will do 10 hour, 120 hour, etc discharge rates... which will produce higher ratings.

for LOTS details how above was arrived at... visit LiFePO4 testing thread ... link in sig
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Joel W is using an LFX 18 in those tests ... which is way too small for bikes tested with.

Joel's tests a correctly sized AGM battery vs an LiFePO4 battery that's several sizes too small. most LiFePO4 mfg grossly over rates their batteries and spec battery for summer use with a perfectly tuned bike.

for example Shorai LFX 21 tests out at about 6 amp hours actual with a 1C discharge. mfg will do 10 hour, 120 hour, etc discharge rates... which will produce higher ratings.

for LOTS details how above was arrived at... visit LiFePO4 testing thread ... link in sig
uhm..... just look on the shoria site.
and look what they say what type to be used on the ktm: LFX18
so what you are saying is shoria recommends the wrong size battery for our type of bike....
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
uhm..... just look on the shoria site.
and look what they say what type to be used on the ktm: LFX18
so what you are saying is shoria recommends the wrong size battery for our type of bike....
most LiFePO4 mfg will typically recommend a battery for warm weather with a bike in perfect tune.

for instance if someone is replacing a battery for an 990 Adventure and planning on riding that bike in the middle of no where, including lots of cold weather camping.

requirements are going to be different than someone riding mostly in warm weather from home base.

all above info are posted multiple times .. visit my LiFePO4 testing for LOTS of detailed info why... link in sig
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #20
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
which Shorai do you have installed in 950?

the short answer is yes you can charge Shorai batteries with most any automotive charger without conditioning mode. which will go up to about 15.5v, would not be good for LiFePO4 batteries.

LiFePO4 batteries for motorcycle are fully charged at 14.6v .. your Schumacher charger should charge at peak 14.3v or so... so long as your auto charger stays below 14.6v, you should be fine. bulk part of charge is not critical .. As your LiFePO4 battery charges up, current will naturally slow down. using a dumb charger without float mode requires you monitor charge levels to prevent overcharge.

in other words, measure your auto charger to make sure peak voltage doesn't exceed 14.6v and don't leave your charger attached longer than overnight.

it's my experience some Shorai have internal BMS, some don't. all have external balance ports ... Shorai batteries should be balance charged from time to time with a charger with balance leads.

see my LiFePO4 battery testing thread for LOTS more details .. link in sig..

Shorai LFX 21 being balanced charged with Powerlab 8 (note balance cables in center)
I’ve never seen a lithium battery that needs a balance charger and both terminal leads connect to charge!!!

If you don’t have a balance charger wouldn’t connecting it parallel to another, say car battery for an hour be a better idea.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
I’ve never seen a lithium battery that needs a balance charger and both terminal leads connect to charge!!!

If you don’t have a balance charger wouldn’t connecting it parallel to another, say car battery for an hour be a better idea.
just because some LiFePO4 mfg don't provide balancing ports or internal BMS ... does not mean LiFePO4 motorcycle batteries don't need em.

all multi-cell li-ion batteries will go out of balance .. for example Earth-X has an internal BMS (battery management system) that keeps cells balanced and prevents overcharge.

Shorai provides external balance ports that allows individual cells to be balanced charged.

hooking to lead acid car battery will do very little... PB at full charge = 12.85v ... LiFePO4 at full charge = 14.6v
source voltage has to be higher than destination cells to charge.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 AM   #22
korkin25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Pissed

I own Shorai Power LFX18A1-BS12 since Aug 2013.
Today.... on the way from Pamir (Tajikistan to Moscow) that battery begin to show 3.45V...
I will never use/buy it anymore...
I am anoight...
korkin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #23
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,956
I was under the impression that these things were so wonderful - and so expensive - because you never have to charge them and they are so light.

That does not seem to be the case.