User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Bike in Europe for USA owner?

I think there's been a couple of threads about this, but I can't find them..

I have a friend based in the USA who would like to keep a bike here in the UK, for use when he has the time to fly over and tour.

My question is, how easy/hard is the arrangement, w/regard to tax, MOT, insurance, keeper status, and so on? I would be safe-guarding the bike for him, and running it from time to time rather than letting it stand.

Thanks in advance.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Well, if you are a UK citizen yourself, you could call the autorities who are responsible for vehicle registration and ask them, if it is possilbe for a foreigner without permanent residence to get a bike registered.

I have made the same investigations, because I will be riding through Canada this summer. Didn't need to be Canadian citizen, but at least have permanent adress in Canada. Fortunately I do have some friends over there where I can live for three months - officially. Next obstacle now is to find an insurace for the bike. All other things (like MOT) are not of insterest for me because I will sell the bike after the trip.

For your friend it would probably be the easiest if the bike is registered on you and he borrows is from you when he is in the UK. Here in Sweden you can "unregister" it if you don't use it (done by internet within 5min) and then you don't need to pay insurance. Don't know if that is possible in UK. For those questions you are closer to the source of information.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

I have a friend based in the USA who would like to keep a bike here in the UK, for use when he has the time to fly over and tour.

My question is, how easy/hard is the arrangement, w/regard to tax, MOT, insurance, keeper status, and so on? I would be safe-guarding the bike for him, and running it from time to time rather than letting it stand.

Thanks in advance.

My buddy has used/stored his Cdn registered ST1100 in Europe [Norway] for 12 years. It still has the British Columbia plate on it, buys an insurance package for 3 months a year and tours there. He's leaving again this late May. Absolutely no problems. There's no reason why you could not store a bike anywhere in the EU.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
another option is to purchase a bike in Ireland and register it there....

I just bought a bike through wheatwhacker, heading over in late May

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803515

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post

Thanks in advance.
Tax/mot are just for bike not the rider so thats not an issue,insurance you take out for when he's here(as long as he's got a full license it shoud'nt be a problem) as for registering it himself it might be easier just to let you register it.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 153
I'll go along with getting your mate to register it in his name. And then getting you name added to the insurance as an extra rider. Easy way out.
John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote