Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
gnosis89 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
All purpose bike 125cc (travel as well)?

Hello, I am currently considering purchasing a 125cc due to the cost, fuel and engine life-stability. I am currently living in México and the roads here, well they are not very well ¨paved¨ so to say, although the majority are concrete. (I live off a dirt road actually.) I will be using the bike to run basic errands in the city and travel, which will involve ¨off road¨ type conditions most certainly, however I should think that mostly it will be concrete-stone type streets however not well maintained.

In regards to Yamahas: Heard good things about the YBR 125, which made me interested in the YRB 125G, however I went in to the Yamaha dealership today and the guy told me the only difference really between the YBR 125G and the YBR125 R are the tires (the YRB125G having off road tires)...I did notice various differences such as a different design, handle protectors, a mud catching device on the front wheel etc...Those don´t seem too important to me, however the tires I am thinking about....The tires on the YBR125G are as I mentioned more off road tires, and I was told there that the tires on the YBR125R are more fit for what I´m looking for, because they´d have more traction on stone-concrete etc...and obviously more life in them as well. Apparently the motors are all the same (in the YBR 125´s that is).

In regards to Honda: I´ve been looking at the CGL 125 tool, which I am very tempted to buy because it is quite a bit cheaper than any other bike I am looking at. Not sure if it is worth it to spend another $700 usd on the Honda XR125L but I´ve heard good things....Also supposedly someone here is selling a 2011 NXR 150 BROS for around $2,000 which is quite a bit cheaper than a new 2013 model.

Anyways NEW it´s sort of a toss up between the following right now:

Honda CG125 Cargo - I´ve heard good things, and that it´s sturdy, plus easy to acquire parts
Honda CGL 125 TOOL - CHEAP, supposedly reliable (chinese made??)
Yamaha YBR 125 R - Similar to the Honda Cargo...not sure if necessarily better.
Honda XR125L - seems to be the only one of the above under 30,000 pesos mxn ($2,800usd) that can actually handle some off road as well. But not sure how it would hold up on the long distance travel.

Possibility of used bikes:
Honda XR125L - may be able to find one.
Honda NXR50 bros - More power than any of the above, may help in long distance travel as well....hopefully can find the 2011 model in good condition for around $2,200 usd.
gnosis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
gnosis89 OP
n00b

Versitle bike 125cc??

Hello, I am currently considering purchasing a 125cc due to the cost, fuel and engine life-stability. I am currently living in México and the roads here, well they are not very well ¨paved¨ so to say, although the majority are concrete. (I live off a dirt road actually.) I will be using the bike to run basic errands in the city and travel, which will involve ¨off road¨ type conditions most certainly, however I should think that mostly it will be concrete-stone type streets however not well maintained.

In regards to Yamahas: Heard good things about the YBR 125, which made me interested in the YRB 125G, however I went in to the Yamaha dealership today and the guy told me the only difference really between the YBR 125G and the YBR125 R are the tires (the YRB125G having off road tires)...I did notice various differences such as a different design, handle protectors, a mud catching device on the front wheel etc...Those don´t seem too important to me, however the tires I am thinking about....The tires on the YBR125G are as I mentioned more off road tires, and I was told there that the tires on the YBR125R are more fit for what I´m looking for, because they´d have more traction on stone-concrete etc...and obviously more life in them as well. Apparently the motors are all the same (in the YBR 125´s that is).

In regards to Honda: I´ve been looking at the CGL 125 tool, which I am very tempted to buy because it is quite a bit cheaper than any other bike I am looking at. Not sure if it is worth it to spend another $700 usd on the Honda XR125L but I´ve heard good things....Also supposedly someone here is selling a 2011 NXR 150 BROS for around $2,000 which is quite a bit cheaper than a new 2013 model.

Anyways NEW it´s sort of a toss up between the following right now:

Honda CG125 Cargo - I´ve heard good things, and that it´s sturdy, plus easy to acquire parts
Honda CGL 125 TOOL - CHEAP, supposedly reliable (chinese made??)
Yamaha YBR 125 R - Similar to the Honda Cargo...not sure if necessarily better.
Honda XR125L - seems to be the only one of the above under 30,000 pesos mxn ($2,800usd) that can actually handle some off road as well. But not sure how it would hold up on the long distance travel.

Possibility of used bikes:
Honda XR125L - may be able to find one.
Honda NXR50 bros - More power than any of the above, may help in long distance travel as well....hopefully can find the 2011 model in good condition for around $2,200 usd.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
A 125 is probably just right if you don't need to run the highways at 80-100km per hr speed for long tines.
Good and light.
Get a rack for the rear to carry stuff. IMO, a good rack and method to strap stuff down is mucho important. Makes life and tasks much easier.
125 for local..for sure.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
amigo,

hi well I had a honda bros 125 not the current L version but the previos and it was a great all around small bike. I did everything from beach riding to hwy riding from Ensenada to California and back, 90-100 km/hr for 300-400 km in a day and I never felt pain, only thing was making a pass on the Libre, always impossible on up hills.

I got around 30-33 km/lt (around 70-72 mpg) and was damm happy with...now I one back! The only crapy part was the 35 watt light bulb that it had, but never change it in 3 years that I had it. I put just over 10,000 km until a guy hit me and destroy the bike.

Off road was ok for me since it was my first bike and I had no comparison and was not (I am still not) a fast driver, and the brakes were enough for the speeds.

I am sure you will love it ! This new model L has a different front headlight and a front disc, instead of a drum, and it lost like 1 hp

The cargo will be a little more fuel efficient, now honda is no longer selling the 125 cc model and has replace it with a 150 cc model, it added the electric start (since the 125 was only kick start) and did not loose the kick start, and remains the standard for delivery business (such as Dominos Pizza). It is price equal to the Yamaha one but it has 25 cc more but the Yamaha has a front disc brake.

During the time I had my bros I never felt I need it a disc brake.

Which one? IF money is no obsticle go for the 125L form honda, other wise the cargo is the way I would go. I am little bias since I have had 3 hondas (bros, tornado and now the Beat scooter), and the extra 25 cc are more appreciated than the front disc that the Yamaha offers.

One question, where in Mexico do you live? Do you speak Spanish? ok 2 questions...

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
I would maybe open up my choices to any good used 250's as well,cant hurt to look but a 125 would work fine as well.
Ive always had good luck with used bikes,you just have to check them over real well. A 250 would be better in a fully loaded traveling situation.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
gnosis89 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
amigo,

hi well I had a honda bros 125 not the current L version but the previos and it was a great all around small bike. I did everything from beach riding to hwy riding from Ensenada to California and back, 90-100 km/hr for 300-400 km in a day and I never felt pain, only thing was making a pass on the Libre, always impossible on up hills.

I got around 30-33 km/lt (around 70-72 mpg) and was damm happy with...now I one back! The only crapy part was the 35 watt light bulb that it had, but never change it in 3 years that I had it. I put just over 10,000 km until a guy hit me and destroy the bike.

Off road was ok for me since it was my first bike and I had no comparison and was not (I am still not) a fast driver, and the brakes were enough for the speeds.

I am sure you will love it ! This new model L has a different front headlight and a front disc, instead of a drum, and it lost like 1 hp

The cargo will be a little more fuel efficient, now honda is no longer selling the 125 cc model and has replace it with a 150 cc model, it added the electric start (since the 125 was only kick start) and did not loose the kick start, and remains the standard for delivery business (such as Dominos Pizza). It is price equal to the Yamaha one but it has 25 cc more but the Yamaha has a front disc brake.

During the time I had my bros I never felt I need it a disc brake.

Which one? IF money is no obsticle go for the 125L form honda, other wise the cargo is the way I would go. I am little bias since I have had 3 hondas (bros, tornado and now the Beat scooter), and the extra 25 cc are more appreciated than the front disc that the Yamaha offers.

One question, where in Mexico do you live? Do you speak Spanish? ok 2 questions...

Cheers

Damasovi
SI hablo español, y ahora vivo en Chiapas en la frontera con Guatemala.

So you had the Honda NXR 125 Bros, or are you refering to the Honda XR125? I´m looking at the 150 NXR bros and the XR125L right now. But new they are both a bit expensive (especially the NXR 150 Bros.)

And in regards to the cargo, it´s 22,000 pesos (around $2,000 usd) where as the Yamahas I´m looking at are around 24,000-26,000 not much of a difference, but I think I prefer the cargo for the extra 25cc now...however it only has one seat, which is great for just myself, however I may have a passenger or two every now and then...I figure I could just put a pad on the metal carrier thing on the back either way. As for the XR 125L and the NXR 150 bros...well if I can get the NXR 150 Bros used in good condition at a good price I figure I´ll probably go with that, because it´s worth the money. What I am not sure about is is there that much difference between the Honda CGL 125 TOOL and the Honda CG 150 Cargo to justify spending another $600 usd or so???
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
a ok!

well first I had a NXR Bros 125 2004. The new model 125L is like 2 years into production.

If Chiapas is LIke Baja California, 2 up on the Cargo is no problem, I see guys from Domino's pizza 2 up with THE BIG PIZZA BOX so I kid sits on the tank and the other on the seat, and they become very close friends...

Go for the Cargo the tool (to me) looks very cheap made and I would not buy it if I could afford a cargo.

If you can go for 150 it is better for easier 2 up, but only if you can.

We have a mostly Mexican and latin forum call thttp://motoviajero.com the advantage of that place is that more people have this MADE FOR MEXICO AND LATIN AMERICA ONLY bikes, so you will find more people giving you their advice.
If you join I will see you there, I am also Damasovi there!

Adios!!

Damasovi
Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
gnosis89 OP
n00b

Anyone here have the CGL 125 tool or the CG 150 cargo by chance?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
ta-rider
Returned from Africa

Oddometer: 134
I used one to travel 28.000 km around South America with:
http://motorradtouren-suedamerika.de...en_suedamerika

Great bike. Cheap, low petrol usage and all the parts are available there :)
ta-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Alexander B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
gnosis89 said:
Quote:
however I may have a passenger or two every now and then...
Putting things into perspective, for sure...
Most US motorists would not consider a below 1000cc vehicle at all, even for riding single.
"Riding two up on a Vstar 950? Better get a real bike!"
Alexander B is offline   Reply With Quote