User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
100RT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Wheel Recall Bulletin

In the event anyone needs this, I think it's still in effect.

100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
ironjack63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I just acquired an '81 R100RT, should I take the front wheel to BMW, or will they laugh me out of the place?
ironjack63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
check the production date or see if the casting has the little webs that were added later. From what I've heard though, BMW still honors the recall.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
old paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
much speculation

I thought a recall was forever, but here is information taken directly from the NHTSA website: (and the link if you don't believe me)
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm
Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.
old paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by old paul View Post
I thought a recall was forever, but here is information taken directly from the NHTSA website: (and the link if you don't believe me)
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm
Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?

Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003. However, consumers should realize that even though manufacturers are not obligated to remedy safety defects in older cars, a safety problem might still exist. If you receive notification of a defect on a vehicle older than 10 years, take the responsibility to have your car repaired at your own expense and eliminate unnecessary safety risks.

No you aren't legally entitled to the repair, but BMW still does it. I've heard of people getting a new wheel as recently as a couple years ago.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,060
I had mine replaced just last year. It did take some work on the dealer and district service rep's end to get the correct numbers for the work order.

YMMV,

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,368
The recall wheels were mostly in 77 and 78. There was only one wheel ever recorded to have broken. I think it's funny that everyone still makes a big deal out of this.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I think it's funny that everyone still makes a big deal out of this.
Hey, nothing wrong with a brand new wheel if you can get it for free.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Yes, BMW still honours the recall. They will want the serial number of your bike, to ensure that it has not already had a replacement. And, you don't get to keep the old wheel.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Hey, nothing wrong with a brand new wheel if you can get it for free.
This conversation has come up before on ADV. The real funny part is someone looking for a 100% original bike might pay more for one with a non-recall wheel. The next thing you know they will be worth twice as much as a replacement.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
This conversation has come up before on ADV. The real funny part is someone looking for a 100% original bike might pay more for one with a non-recall wheel. The next thing you know they will be worth twice as much as a replacement.
I said that to a friend who showed up last week on his newly acquired '80? RS with original front wheel.
The dealers will check vin numbers to ensure the bike is eligible for recall.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,592
I also heard the same thing Dave said. They record the VIN number of the bike the wheel came off of. You can get only one free wheel per bike.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
ironjack63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
The original recall said something about the date being on the wheel. How does one read the codes on the wheel? I have several sets of numbers on my front wheel, and they don't look like any type of date to me.
ironjack63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Casting dates are usually a two digit month or a two digit week followed by a two digit year. In this case though don't bother with the date code. The differences between the recalled wheels and the replacements are readily apparent, so it's pretty easy to see what kind of wheel you have even from 10 feet away. Photos here:
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm

Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,235
A mate had one replaced here in Oz 3-4 years back. New bearings too. They tried to have him pay for labour. Cheeky! He refused that and they still paid for the lot...wheel, bearings etc, labour. This is what is supposed to potentially happen...never seen or heard of it locally though.

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 04:33 PM
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote