Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Mr Klxmack, some of the responses to your tirade sound's like you've just driven a very fatal stake in the hearts of several potential buyers. I know it's not the business of ADV members to tell you how to run your affairs but a friendlier approach might be more productive. My advice is for you to cool down a bit and try to rebuild things, this is a very public forum and as such is viewed by many riders. The people who come here to talk about their experiences aren't out to get anyone and don't deserve to be chastised for that. We as a group are savvy enough to know what to believe and what to take with a grain of salt. No offense sir, but you could do with a bit of softening up in your attitude, a smile will always produce better results than anger.

LL75
To this I would add to put JerryH on ignore. He has been trolling around here for a while now. Recently he totally sidetracked the Motus thread and now is trolling here as well. Just put anyone else who trolls for trouble on ignore as well. Life will be easier for you and hopefully you can get back to reuilding the Sym line in Canada just like Alliance is trying to do in the USA.

For the record I am a Sym owner and have had nothing but a poitive experience with my Scoot, both in getting service and parts when needed. To be honest, not much has been needed as it runs great. Yes it is for sale, but only because I bought a Vespa and don't need 2 scooters.

Good luck to you and your company,

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #32
HBrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
To this I would add to put JerryH on ignore. He has been trolling around here for a while now. Recently he totally sidetracked the Motus thread and now is trolling here as well. Just put anyone else who trolls for trouble on ignore as well. Life will be easier for you and hopefully you can get back to reuilding the Sym line in Canada just like Alliance is trying to do in the USA.

For the record I am a Sym owner and have had nothing but a poitive experience with my Scoot, both in getting service and parts when needed. To be honest, not much has been needed as it runs great. Yes it is for sale, but only because I bought a Vespa and don't need 2 scooters.

Rick G
+1 Another happy SYM Owner

I have never had a problem getting parts or service for my HD 200 (hasn't needed many parts, just normal consumables). The complaint that there are no parts available simply is not true. The only complaint was by some that wanted to buy parts directly from Alliance. It's not unusual for a distributer not to sell parts retail. Personally I do not have a problem supporting my local dealer, after all it's a two way street. There will be a day when I need the dealers support.

I am very happy with my SYM scooter, it does exactly what was promised.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post

I have never had a problem getting parts or service for my HD 200 (hasn't needed many parts, just normal consumables). The complaint that there are no parts available simply is not true. The only complaint was by some that wanted to buy parts directly from Alliance. It's not unusual for a distributer not to sell parts retail. Personally I do not have a problem supporting my local dealer, after all it's a two way street. There will be a day when I need the dealers support.

Only reason I start the tread was because I emailed the new importer in canada to be told nope if we aren't selling it we aren't going to supply parts . There is some deals on new old stock sym at second gear in Vancouver BC but if there was a good network of dealers in WA I would consider one. WA is only 10 min away from me.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #34
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
It has to have neutral at the bottom. I has no clutch lever. This bike is not a scooter.
What single cylinder bike does not have issues with emissions stuff? Most if not all.
Most of the "drivability issue" were read off the underboning 75 page ride report.

Sorry pal Im pissed at this thread.

Lets get back to the thread topic and B.S slander on me and my company.
You talking to me or to JerryH??? Cause it sounds like me, don't confuse me with JerryH, he makes lots of assumptions and speculations and has opintions based on these thoughts, I like to stick to facts and actual experiences. If me then did you actually read what I wrote or is Canandian English so different from American English that I wrote "down neutral and 4 up" got translated into this bike being a scooter??!!!

As for the emissions stuff this bike has the worst emissions related driveability issues that I have ever experienced. I never had a bike hydro-lock from the tank over flow into the evap canisiter thru the carb and into the motor. Other bikes had always over flowed out of the evap canister onto the ground if the canister fills up. Once the emissions garbage is removed the things runs smooth.

I know all about Underboning's ride/report. I'm the one that inspired them to do the round the world trip with my own Symba trip to AK. I was also one of the first if not the first to report about the emissions related issues. How? because I was the first in North America that put lots of miles on the North America version of the SYM Symba.

And no where did I slander you, didn't even mention you, or your company, didn't mention SYM or their distributors.

Oh, and one more thing, about JerryH he has a tendency to put into context something that has nothing to do with another and call it the same. He has been doing this as long as I've seen since the hey days of Urbanscootin.com when I first encounter him. JerryH, I think you realized it but when you do this you lose credibility. I don't doubt the fact that you have these experiences but trying to use something that has nothing with the other to try and show credibility does the opposite.

DaBinChe screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 09:57 PM
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #35
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post

I think most everyone would agree with you about buying parts from your dealer but what do you do if there isn't one around and the distributor won't sell to you? I might be 2nd guessing the situation - I don't own a Sym product - but I'll bet that might be contributing to some of the dissatisfaction. I think the least a distributor should do is provide the name and contact information for a dealer where the customer can get whatever he needs and then follow-up to ensure he did. Follow-up phone calls are cheap and always yield good PR plus it will act as a means for him to see how well his dealers are performing. If the customer fails to utilize that resource and insists the distributor sell to him direct then he's the one at fault.

I'm hesitant to go much further with this but I think it's worth noting; I have some experience in the field of distribution and dealership management. I can't recall how many times I've defused a potentially volatile situation by simply talking to the end-user and asking "What can we do to get this issue resolved?" Demonstrating to them you and your company care about them is the first order of business and everything that follows is easy. It's my opinion that's what the Sym distributor needs to consider; vulgar language coupled with public displays of anger are counter-productive and unworthy of his position. Doesn't that make better sense than arguing? It's called marketing...

LL75
larrylarry75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
. . . canada is a waist land . . .

What? The 60" kind?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #37
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
I call B.S again. This whole thread is B.S. I am the national manager for this company.
It seems this thread was started out of pure ignorance of what is actually going on in Canada.

" sym scooter how support in usa ? Cause canada is a waist land with the new distributor going we don't care to support any sym product we don't sell. Eg the sym 110 honda club clone etc. Just think because theres a hd 200 sitting at a former dealer with 1 K on it"

We support SYM motorcycle and scooters in Canada. There are no dealers left in BC. Urban Wasp and scooter commuter are out of business and Scooter underground and Queensway autoworld don't want to order product.
Who said we don't support what we don't sell?
Just because your local dealer has a three year old model has on his showroom means nothing.

We approached SYM last year and asked them if we could handle the wolf 150 and the samba. These are motorcycles. The old distributor, CMI was a scooter importer. We will have units in the country within a month with a warehouse of parts for them. Last November, CMI decided to stop dealing SYM in Canada.
Sym wants to reintroduced the brand slowly back to Canada. Trust me I would order three containers of Mio, two containers of RV250 and all the other models that Alliance carries.

Now i have to clean up the mess left by the old distributor. dealers that don't want want to open an account to sell parts and pissed off customers.

Ok lets get back to this.

Phipsd, who is your local dealer??
My local dealer was urban wasp. I found them outstanding to deal with. You may not agree with everything I said ; but I'm just a customer so that I was just getting one side of the story. If you are serious about bringing SYM scooters back to Canada like Alliance has done in the US that's good news.

Now you just have to do it. I really hope it works out. SYM is an excellent product. BTW When I see dealers open with bikes and parts for sale then I will believe it. Until then it's just good intentions.

Phipsd screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 12:18 AM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 AM   #38
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
My local dealer was urban wasp. I found them outstanding to deal with. You may not agree with everything I said ; but I'm just a customer so that I was just getting one side of the story. If you are serious about bringing SYM scooters back to Canada like Alliance has done in the US that's good news.

Now you just have to do it. I really hope it works out. SYM is an excellent product. BTW When I see dealers open with bikes and parts for sale then I will believe it. Until then it's just good intentions.

Thanks for the input. I had to take a few days off of this thread as it was totally consuming me with negativity.
I am clensed.

Here is the whole situation. Last year on a trip my business partner saw a wolf and a symba in a dealership in California.
He was impressed with the fit and finish of these models. We couldn't understand why these models were not in Canada.
Canada deserves these bike. So we approached SYM and ask them if we could distribute these two models because the other distributor the balance of the SYM line. The deal was done last summer. We bough some US models brought them up under a special permit to get them certified and show them at the bike shows. We have parts and units arriving in Ontario next month.
Four months ago the other distributor pulled the plug on SYM.
SYM taiwan wants to reintroduce the Sym line slowly back to Canada. I have had many dealers asking for units but I cant supply at this moment.
I costs a lot more to certify bikes in Canada than the States and can take 4 months to get certified. Maybe, Maybe we might have some 2014 scooters here sometime this summer. This is not my choice but Sanyang motors choice.
Lets face it, there were a lot of issues with distribution of their excellent scooters by the previous distributors in North America. They don't want the same happening again, baby steps.
Another major problem is that there is no scooter dealer network left in certain markets. Vancouver has a major problem. Even if i had the product, there is no dealer in Vancouver that is interested. Sad.
Im having great success opening dealers in eastern Canada, our website is not 100% up to date and we have a new website that will have the dealer portal that will be up and running shortly.

I want to thank all of the SYM owners for their positive support, LarryLarry your great. Sorry dabinche for the miss quote.

We have great success selling our product at smaller Mom and Pop type outfits, if anyone can suggest some in BC, i would be indebted. I will do a ride to BC this summer and do a ride report to see my new dealers.

Cheers and thanks
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack

klxmack screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 01:23 PM
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #39
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
Most of my information about SYM comes from checking out (but not riding) a Sym Wolf 150 and a Symba at the local SYM dealer (who still has SYM listed on his site, but none in stock. He does not have parts. This dealer is located in Tempe AZ. More information comes from symforums.com. According to information on that site, the scooters are great quality, but suffer from a lack of support (lack of parts availability). The Wolf in particular has many problems with deterioration of rubber and plastic parts and rusting of metal parts. I have not seen this myself, but there are many posts about it on the forum.

SYM has had a checkered past, starting with Carter Brothers, who have had a bad reputation from the very beginning. After that fiasco, SYM products and parts were unavailable for some time in the U.S. (I'm in the U.S. and have no idea what the SYM situation is like in other countries) Then along comes Alliance, and the return of SYM. Two more problems show up. One is a lot of posts on symforums.com that you cannot get parts from Alliance or local dealers, because Alliance does not want owners working on their own bikes. Then there is the "supposed" connection between Alliance and Lance. I has never heard of Alliance until they became the new SYM importer, but Lance has had a bad reputation for a long time as the importer of $899 Chinese scooters. IF Lance and Alliance are the same, why the name change? And if not, I'd like to hear someone say so.

From everything I can dig up, SYM currently appears to have very poor support in the U.S. I have not heard any negative comments about any of their products, other than the Wolf. That just happens to be the model I was interested in.

Kymco on the other hand is well known to have excellent service and support in the U.S. I have never owned a Kymco either, but would not be afraid to buy one. They have a firm foothold in the U.S., and seem to be getting better all the time.

I have NOT had any firsthand experience with either SYM or Kymco and want to make that clear. But there is an almost unlimited amount of information about them available out there on the internet, and IMO, the best of it comes from actual owners, on brand specific forums.

Oh, and Mr. klxmack, I'm assuming English is not your native language. I am only a lowly high school graduate, and never claimed my writing was anything special. But you do not come across as the head of a corporation. Again, this is only my opinion. Your posts seem very unprofessional.

BTW, I just noticed that the SYM HD200 seems almost exactly the same as the Kymco People GT200i
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 01:10 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #40
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
Alliance and Lance are the same. Lance formed Alliance to import SYM and called it their sister company.

Kymco USA is 100% owned by Kymco Taiwan so things will be done right.

http://www.dirttoysmag.com/powerspor...play.cfm?ID=87

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 01:31 PM
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #41
HBrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I have also read the SYM Owners Forum, and come away with a very different picture than JerryH. Here is a sample:

"MMSD

Re: Lance Needs to be the only USA Distributor
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 02:44:02 PM
Nope...not buying it!!!

It's in April and Lance is obviously Face-booking, Wiki-ing and all that Bullshit adding Sym to their cache of sales items. But where are the (screaming at the TOP of my lungs!!!) God Damn Parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I recommend everyone contribute to an on-line HATE campaign against them if there are not on-line purchasable parts to the general public at the Carter Bros pricing immediately. Start by crapping all over their facebook page until they cry.

DO NOT BUY SYM, Lance or Alliance until then. Trash Lance in every way until they come through!!!!! PASS IT ON............"

If you want wade through very old news you can read it for yourself at: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=911.15

The beef has been about Alliance not providing discount parts directly to consumers, not that the parts are not available. Seriously the person wanted to start a hate campaign until Alliance sold cheap parts directly. Remember this was all happening as Alliance was trying to startup, they have been progressively improving, as promised.

I can say that I do have first hand experience with Alliance and my experience has been very good. From everything that I have experienced, and have read online Alliance has been helpful to SYM owners. They have been following through with the plan they laid out. I am sure Klxmack will do the same given a fair chance.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #42
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I never saw that post. I heard complaints about parts not being available at all. I never heard anything bad about their scooters, mostly the Wolf 150, which again was the model I was interested in. There was such a huge difference in the feelings of scooters owners and Wolf owners regarding quality that it APPEARED they came from 2 different manufactures. I would still like to have a Wolf 150, if the quality was the same as the SYM scooters. It would make a great replacement for my Vino 125, which has been collecting dust since I got the Zuma 125.
1980 Puch moped
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,600
A personal SYM experience, if it will help.

In my experience, the SYM range is very well thought-out and needs very little dealer support. When you take delivery of a SYM, have them throw in a couple of air filters and a drive belt. This will take you through your first year or two on spares, if you have the ability to do a simple oil change and order the correct tires.

The SYM line doesn't break down, The fasteners are rational, the service intervals aren't at all bad, and the quality matches anything on the market. SYMS are designed for roadside maintenance. These scoots are exciting to ride. SYM quality beats the snot out of an Italian product.

I've owned both Italian and Taiwan. I'd own a SYM again in a minute. I don't think I'll ever look at another Italian scoot. My experience with Italian was like a bad prom date. I was horny at first, but I ended up walking home.

The Oriental put out.

Hope this brand will be rebuilt on our shores.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #44
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

Rick G
I am here because I own 3 scooters, and have owned 3 others, and plan on owning more. Just because you have had a positive experience with your SYM doesn't mean everyone else has. What about the OP of this thread? He has apparently not had a positive experience. Many people on the SYM forum have not had positive experiences. Most of the negative experiences seem to be form a lack of support from the importer rather than the quality of the scooters themselves.
I have done a lot of research recently on SYM scooters, and this review of the HD200 seems typical

"On a recent trip to New York City from Washington D.C., the bike turned 10,000 miles. On the 615-mile trip it averaged 75 mpg. The top speed ranged from 66-72 miles/hour. I went straight up I-95 on the way up. I stayed to the right but did my fair share of passing. On the way back I came thought PA I-78 and US-30. It was more scenic and just one 75-cent toll. Hopefully the folks at SYM will get the distribution thing for the entire United States straighten out. They have good products but haven't marketed them well at all"

People have had all kinds of experiences with SYM scooters, but a great deal of them have had bad experiences trying to buy them, and with support after the sale. This is far from a one sided story.

As for the Motus thread, I have no idea why on earth that was brought up in the scooter forum. That thread is nothing but one long argument from beginning to end. And all over a bike that does not even exist. Nothing on that thread can be taken seriously.
1980 Puch moped
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #45
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Only reason I start the tread was because I emailed the new importer in canada to be told nope if we aren't selling it we aren't going to supply parts . There is some deals on new old stock sym at second gear in Vancouver BC but if there was a good network of dealers in WA I would consider one. WA is only 10 min away from me.
If you check with Transport Canada's list of motorcycles that can be admitted to Canada, SYM is not on that list. Transport Canada relies on information supplied by the manufacturer that a vehicle can be made compliant with Canadian safety rules before it will allow a vehicle to be imported.

Even if you brought a SYM over the Border and paid the duty, the vehicle would still have to be returned to the US.

The really crazy part about all this is that there were some SYM's that were imported into Canada from the US by SYM and modified to meet Canadian safety standards and sold legally in Canada. I have one of those bikes. It still has the US DOT stickers on it, but it was bought new at a Canadian SYM dealer with the Canadian warranty.

So SYM can do it; but you and I can't.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote