Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,562
Dave and Jill can hold their heads high as they did a great job servicing our small riding community despite the obvious challenges as note above.

Cycle World perished

Brampton Cycle self destructed

McBrides closed it doors

And Parker Bros held on till the very end. A true mom and pop shop...gone...how sad

DW
Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
That is a huge factor. Its a real piss off when I try to support the local guy and the only choices for him are to look in the Parts Canada and Motovan books. Usually it means I will end up finding an alternate source cause a lot of times they carry the brand I want, but they don't import the part I want for the oddball brand bikes I like to accumulate.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Sorry to hear that Dave threw in the towel. Nice guy, as is Chris Dring.

Last season I bought a couple tubes, a tire, fork seals from them. It was nice to have them there when I needed something.

I fear small, independent stores are going the way of the dodo in the 21st century.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I can see how the web sales can really hurt a shop.

But I would point that finger while saying that it's the symptom, not the source of evil.

The gubmint tariffs have been pointed out as one source.

But the other, and in my opinion bigger source of evil, is the importers. Parts Canada, a division of Parts Unlimited, is a good place to examine.

SNIP!
Very well said Drif.

I'm going to miss that shop though.

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Rumor has it there's a new west end KTM dealer on the way
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
TonyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Sorry to hear about Parker Bros. as well. It's been many years since I dealt with them, but they were always a shop I looked forward to going to.
The world has changed forever for retailers. Even giants like Best Buy are suffering when people go into their stores, check out the merchandise on the shelf and then order it over the Internet with their smartphone right in the store.
When you're dealing with importers who refuse to recognize the new reality, you're doubly screwed.
Have you looked around shopping malls lately? Nothing but clothes, mostly for females, and home goods, again, mostly for women to shop. Most of the more specialized stores are either gone or going, because people buy that stuff over the Internet now.
Cheers,
Tony
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
NaeKid
Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I can see how the web sales can really hurt a shop.

But I would point that finger while saying that it's the symptom, not the source of evil.

The gubmint tariffs have been pointed out as one source.

But the other, and in my opinion bigger source of evil, is the importers. Parts Canada, a division of Parts Unlimited, is a good place to examine.

With the dollar at par, there is now transparency in the pricing. The manufacturers have signed distribution deals with the importers, who in turn have similar rules for the dealers. How many shops you know won't ship cross-border will point that out to you. Market protection at its finest, BMW being a real evil overlord in that game, btw.

So the importer sets the price that the shop can buy the item at, despite the online retail price in many cases being less than dealer cost. There is no way they can compete with that. How can you ask a customer to pay hundreds more for an item just to support local, which in reality, is supporting the importer's business practices? The importers have built their empires, and are clinging to their old profit margins. The new reality will kill them last, once there's no more dealers left.

To try and keep those margins, they only order in what they think will sell, in limited numbers. This makes sense. But where it goes off the rails is that once they're sold, they won't get another because you need one. But they have the monopoly in the country, so no other shop in Canada will have it available. You need the part, so instead of your local dealer getting the sale, you web shop it.

This of course has the long term negative effect that the customer gets in the habit of 'shop may or may not be able to get it, I haven't got the time to waste parts chasing', and just flips open the smart phone in his pocket. In 2 minutes the part's is on its way, delivered in the same time as the local shop could get it.

And you'd have to pick it up at the shop, which means finding time to get there. Web shows up at your door.

It's all fine to blame the web shopping, and I agree that it's playing a part in this problem, but step back and look at the bigger picture, and maybe point that finger at those who have also been responsible.
Well said!

Just to add to that - I have been turned away from places that I have tried to spend my money at locally because of "we don't carry that product" or if I bring them a print-out from the web of what I need with the all the details they tell that they can't even get those parts for the same price through PartsCanada.

If those dealers could or would allow potential customers to bring their own parts in and they install them - they get the service-money, not marked-up money on the parts - but - that could mean the difference between making-it and breaking-it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #23
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,051
I need some pivot bearings for the GS and after checking Max's fiche I called Ottawa's BMW dealer and the price is the same. I ordered from here.

That should be possible all the time now as MC parts don't have duty and $$ is on par

There are no excuses for the gouging we usually take. I think the dealers need to boycot Parts Canada and Motovan and I'll support them with grey market purchases till the big shots wake up
Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
I think the dealers need to boycott Parts Canada and Motovan and I'll support them with grey market purchases till the big shots wake up
+100 - Parts Canada and Motovan are the reason people cross border shop, not the local dealers. The dealers pay the price. I'm sure we would all pay an extra 10% to support the local guy but 25%?

Sorry to hear about Parker Brothers - I bought stuff from them when I lived in the big smoke. It's kind of ironic that Joe Rocket came out of Parker Bros and now JR is heavily cross border shopped and that's why they are shutting down.

We were at the Calgary Motorcycle Show last year, inmate Grizzler is checking out the Neotech helmet. He waves over the Parts Canada guy and says, "How come I can buy this helmet for $200 less out of the US?". The Parts Canada guy just gives him a dirty look and walks away. Didn't even bother to answer.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
+100 - Parts Canada and Motovan are the reason people cross border shop, not the local dealers. The dealers pay the price. I'm sure we would all pay an extra 10% to support the local guy but 25%?
We were at the Calgary Motorcycle Show last year, inmate Grizzler is checking out the Neotech helmet. He waves over the Parts Canada guy and says, "How come I can buy this helmet for $200 less out of the US?". The Parts Canada guy just gives him a dirty look and walks away. Didn't even bother to answer.

You should of demanded the answer to why prices are higher...

I don't understand, why do dealers have to deal with Part Can/ Motvan, can they not shop for there own aftermarket suppliers?
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
You should of demanded the answer to why prices are higher...

I don't understand, why do dealers have to deal with Part Can/ Motvan, can they not shop for there own aftermarket suppliers?
Market protection clauses giving exclusive area rights to them.

Aftermarket manufacturers will sign a distribution deal with national importers as a way to sell their product in that market, while leaving the importation work to the locals.

An outdated way to do business in the internet marketplace, for sure.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

is there anything stopping a dealer from making deals with cross border dealers.. i.e ktmtwins , rally raid uk, safari, au.... list goes on?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #28
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,067
Got this from an industry guy I know who would rather remain anonymous, but is okay with my posting it.

His words:

"I won't say this in public but the problem with the parts canada pricing is due to the preferred or volume discounts the give the dealers. All accessory companies in Canada give these discounts, some up to 25% futher of dealer cost. Thats built into the retail price. If all the companies said screw the discount, the retail would be on par with the US. This practice in the states is a 5% to 10% discount.
Dealer are poor sales people, so they discount stuff. The volume discount help crappy dealer stay afloat and make pricing high for all."
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 960
prices

I had my bike repaired last year at a local shop (went under last spring) and could not believe the pricing he was giving me. He said the same thing that where I get my parts from. I showed him a web site (cheap cycle) and even he could not believe the difference, cheaper then his cost. I thought I could just buy the parts and bring them to him and he could install them and mark them up. It was an insurance job so no go.
But why couldn't the owner just order over the boarder for himself and put those parts in stock and use them etc... example 08 690 speedo retail was around $580 cost close to $500 cheap cycle $300. Even after duty mark up etc...still could have sold it for 450 and made more money.
Just my nickle of thoughts

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #30
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
I had my bike repaired last year at a local shop (went under last spring)

oh my stomach hurts....

oh I mean sorry to hear that!!
a flip over two yrs ago, watered out last year... what is up for this year?

local dealer has no fear of going under with you around... LOL

just teasen

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:48 AM