Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,402
Fuel Octanes - Little Guidance Please

Good morning Gents

A discussion was had about fuels, I was terribly confused, is there a difference between RON rated etc fuels and other stuff.

Where we are going with this is should we be running Premium here in MEX at 92 ish or the regular at 87 ish for our SE.

At what point should I pull the brown wire to do the lower ignition map.

Anyone with this knowledge on octanes and brown wire please let us know your experience

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,285
Have you heard it ping at all when you hit the throttle hard? Under "normal conditions" you should be fine running regular in it, but considering the hot climate, huge amount of luggage, plus riding two up, you might want to stick to premium. Sometimes it almost pays for itself in better gas mileage. Give it a try and see if you run cooler or if your mileage improves. If so, you're getting a degree of preignition with regular. As much shit as people talk about mexican gas, I think it's better than US gas as it doesn't have ethanol in it. Also, be aware that Pemex Magna has MUCH lower levels of detergent additives than premium, so it's best to run at least some premium here and there to flush the crud out. I find the injectors on my truck clog up much faster running Magna.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 08:59 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Hi Andi, on my 990 in Latin America I mostly ran with the low octane ignition timing map (wire unplugged).

I would get a little pinging running Pemex Magna with the wire plugged in at low elevations. As you get to high elevations it doesnt matter so much since your effective compression ratio is lower.

Unless I was in a place where RON 95/AKI 92 was available everywhere, I ran the low octane timing map. Mexico uses the AKI rating IIRC. AKI 92 = RON 95

Now, all that said, I did have some pre-ignition (pinging) issues at times when running RON 95 with the wire plugged in. That got me to thinking that some gas stations in Latin America put low octane fuel in the high octane pumps. So after that experience, I just ran with the low octane map (wire unplugged) full time just to be safe as I didnt want to burn any holes in the pistons. I still ran the Premium gas wherever I could find it.

If you want a little more convenience switching back and forth between the maps you could splice the wire and install a switch on your handle bars or dash.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
If you want a little more convenience switching back and forth between the maps you could splice the wire and install a switch on your handle bars or dash.
Designed, packaged and marketed properly = biz opprtunity.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,270
Quote:
Now, all that said, I did have some pre-ignition (pinging) issues at times when running RON 95 with the wire plugged in. That got me to thinking that some gas stations in Latin America put low octane fuel in the high octane pumps
Say it isn't so!

(This shit happens in Wisconsin, too, and I really notice the difference in my diesel F250. The expensive stuff at Shell gets me about 2 mpg LESS than than the cheap stuff from Quick Trip.

My old BMW runs fine on whatever I piss into it. I don't know how the engineers figured it out, but whatever they did, I didn't have to change anything at all and it ran fine on everything from super-cheap ethanol to super expensive Super. I didn't know that KTMs were more sensitive.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
Say it isn't so!

(This shit happens in Wisconsin, too, and I really notice the difference in my diesel F250. The expensive stuff at Shell gets me about 2 mpg LESS than than the cheap stuff from Quick Trip.

My old BMW runs fine on whatever I piss into it. I don't know how the engineers figured it out, but whatever they did, I didn't have to change anything at all and it ran fine on everything from super-cheap ethanol to super expensive Super. I didn't know that KTMs were more sensitive.
Not more sensitive, just higher compression, hence the other ignition map. In Brazil I gassed up out in the sticks at a brand x petrol station and my bike was running like shit. I drained the "gas" at the next stop and saw that it was 100% ethanol. I doubt many bikes would run very well on that pure cane sugar.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,270
Quote:
Not more sensitive, just higher compression, hence the other ignition map. In Brazil I gassed up out in the sticks at a brand x petrol station and my bike was running like shit. I drained the "gas" at the next stop and saw that it was 100% ethanol. I doubt many bikes would run very well on that pure cane sugar.
I have to confess that I've read dozens of pages on compression and timing and fuel-air ratios as mapped by the O2 sensor and stuff and I still don't get it.

As for ethanol... YUCK!!! But when I used to have a gasoline truck, and I'd put the E85 stuff in it, it sure was peppy. Only got about 12 mpg, but it was peppy!
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
High altittudes is where my beemer would ping.
Prob lots of carbon build up.

Low places, no probs - hi places, pinging at heavy throttle.

Cane is for rum....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Thanks guys will keep using the red stuff until we can't then pull the brown wire.

Haven't noticed any difference in sound changing between low and higher octane and giving it three clear tanks each way so certainly no pinging but I am not vicious on the throttle with house, contents and wife on board.

Does fuel usage go up with the brown wire pulled?, might look at a switch system but I won't be pulling it of and on at a wim, once we get into lesser fuel "knowns" I will leave it unplugged.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
My 950SE - brown stays plugged

Howdy,
I've never unplugged the brown wire. I run premium when I can get it but all to often, you can't find it. The only time I've noticed any pinging was in soft sand in warm/hot weather.

i did have some crappy fuel in Bolivia that stopped the bike dead in it's tracks a few times on one tankful. It never pinged, just ran like crap and even died a couple times. But it always started right up. This was also running at 10,000'+ so pinging wasn't an issue.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Howdy,
I've never unplugged the brown wire. I run premium when I can get it but all to often, you can't find it. The only time I've noticed any pinging was in soft sand in warm/hot weather.

i did have some crappy fuel in Bolivia that stopped the bike dead in it's tracks a few times on one tankful. It never pinged, just ran like crap and even died a couple times. But it always started right up. This was also running at 10,000'+ so pinging wasn't an issue.
Hmm sounds good to me, I have not heard any pinging at all, now we are at low elevation I might stick so lower stuff in and listen again.

Cheers for the input.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,595
I unplugged my wire late on my trip, you don't need to unplug it in MX imo. Pemex gas is better than a lot of the gas we get in the states from my experience. I'll have to look at my notes but I don't think I unplugged my low octane cable until I was in southern Ecuador. If you do any real exploring you'll be using a lot of barrel gas so I'd want to have the wire unplugged then for sure.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Does fuel usage go up with the brown wire pulled?,
I personally dont notice a difference. There could be one, but usually my heavy throttle hand makes such a huge difference that I wouldnt notice any difference caused by the ignition timing map.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
If you do any real exploring you'll be using a lot of barrel gas so I'd want to have the wire unplugged then for sure.
Yes that is a given for sure.

Quote:
my heavy throttle hand makes such a huge difference that I wouldnt notice any difference caused by the ignition timing map.
... well yes, when enthusiasm strikes it does hit the pocket ... but to listen to the finely tuned wing music

Today we did 46.87 mpg or 6L/100 km so she is running ok.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,595
Damn, 47mpg? That's great fuel economy for a SE.

I don't think I've seen 40.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote