User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,101
Trampin' USA

I've been lurking on this site for some time now, and felt the need to finally make an account so I can further document my adventure. I liked the movie The Motorcycle Diaries and it inspired me to do something.. different with my life. Most folks would call me crazy, but here, I feel I fit in

Now, I've been having this idea roll in my head for some time now, and I feel I should get started on it this upcoming spring, because if 2012 is the "end" of the world, I'd like to start going after dreams. Being unemployed sucks, but it gives me time to think about what I really want to do. Living in a small town where all business has dried up has lead me to want to find that 'greener pasture' we're always hearing about. Basically I got tired of the mundane day in day out way of life, and I've always been one to just do, not so smart things. When I was 21, I hopped on a bus to California to try and be a comic artist/cartoonist, and it didn't turn out like I expected, but I had a great time, met some great people, and enjoyed my time until I ran out of money. I didn't have a bike then, though I wish I did, I'd probably be living off of it out there. So, I'm going to be hitting the road on my 1976 Harley Ironhead Sportster, and feel the need to document it, and blog it so people with like interests can have something fun to read, look at, and so on. I plan to do video, photo, and write ups of this adventure of the USA. From the open road, to the people, to the food. I will document all I can. Now I'm looking for a good name for a blog, been tossing ideas around, like "The Two-Wheeled Tramp" or something like that, am very open to outside opinions and ideas. If you're also interested enough to donate some funds for gas & oil, and other provisions that'd be much appreciated as I'm low on funds, and out of work.. I planned to panhandle with my guitar for when I run out for gas money and such, I don't need much to eat and can survive off barely anything, so I'm not too much concerned with that, but gas prices are getting high, so ya.. I'll be trying to set up a paypal account within the next couple of weeks, so if you are interested in helping a brother out, and you'll be noted in the special thanks as well. (Let me know! )

I'd be living pretty much off the bike, setting up camp wherever I can out of the way for the nights, and if some good people want to put me up for the night or whatever, that'd be noted and documented as well. I figure we only live once, and I'm not getting any younger. I've been slowly getting the Ironhead into tip top shape enough to embark on such a journey. First stop, will be in Maggie Valley, wheels through time, documented as well. Going to go through the mountains, just wherever the road takes me, I think it'd be a fun experience for both I, and the viewers. I've been reading a lot of motorcycle travel blogs and it just gets my gears turning. I'd like to eventually make it into a book or whatever, documentary, something that is just real, not the prefabricated garbage you see on tv all the time. I just feel I'm destined to do something worthwhile with my life, as I've worked lord knows how many crappy jobs with nothing to show for it. Except, my old Harley of course. And after reading Hopper's 5,000 mile ride through Aussie on his Ironhead, I feel confident with mine. I've already ridden close to 5000 miles of nowhere. It'd be nice to have a bigger gas tank, but oh well, I'll be mapping around gas stations.

I plan to leave sometime in April, and I've got a friend who wants to join, but we'll see if he's all talk when the time comes.. It'd be cool to have some company, and it'd feel like Easy Rider, with a better ending Still gotta get some supplies, like a tent, and one of those spare fuel containers just in case.

Now I'm going to try and figure out this blog stuff.

Mmmmm, taco truck tacos, the real stuff This is the kind of silly stuff, as with the good people I encounter on the road to write up on, as well as the scenes and whatever silly philosophical stuff I come up with. I think it'd be a good time Cheers!

I found the bike sitting in a storage container for 12 years covered in dust, rat turds, and a patina all over, and spent the last 8 or so months getting it how it is. Still have to rebuild the front brake for those mountain roads.
2WheelTrampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Witness
Me

Oddometer: 465
very cool

Subscribed,

can I assume you will be also sharing this with the xlforum folks?
Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witness View Post
Subscribed,

can I assume you will be also sharing this with the xlforum folks?

Sure will, those guys have helped me with all my stupid questions getting this bike how it is! So I figure they'd enjoy the eye candy just as much if they're not on this site. :) As well as a personal public blog I'm trying to set up in the mean time. I'd like to share with all who are interested in this sort of thing. This place called my name as you all seem to share that same itch I have! I'm stuck on reading 4 blogs at a time! Love this site!

2WheelTrampin screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 04:40 PM
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn1lnGYSgT8

Since I don't have any traveling bike pictures to share right now, I thought I'd share a band I found in a warehouse art show when I was out in California on my bus hop. Free booze, and great tunes, what traveling is about! Kind of music I play, the blues. I'll get some more pictures as the progress goes of hooking up the bike, so far I just have an old briefcase I strapped on the bike as a saddlebag, got another I'll put on the other side. This should be fun! On a piece of machinery older than I, just makes it all the more fun!

Guess I'll add a few pictures from around where I stay for now;

I liked that, 76 in front of a 76

I'm sure I got some more around here somewhere..

2WheelTrampin screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 09:27 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
it's gonna be tough carry all you'll need and a guitar too...you gonna pull a tailer?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,241
Where are ya starting from ? the bike looks alot like the 75 Sporty I once had .
Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Starting from the bottom of SC in a rather small boring 1 antique horse town, where all there is to do in down time seems to be get drunk or high, or maybe buy a motorcycle if you get bored with the before two and realize how much money you've saved. Which has sparked my adventure itch, via motorcycle. It's old, it leaks oil, it burns oil, it's cantankerous, but I'm as confident as ever that it could take me around the world twice, maybe 3 times before a proper rebuild. It's my little time machine.

And regarding the guitar, I've just got this old junky electric I've got, maybe could play some bar gigs or whatever, may sell it and buy one of those "backpacker' guitars. I like electricity though would be cool if I could find one of those pignose amps too. Still planning and gathering goods. The more funding = more states and places to raise some hell in which = more great stories, pictures of good people I meet a long the way, the food, the sights, and whatever else I come in contact with.

2WheelTrampin screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 02:31 PM
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
1955BIKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Play the bars for some cash and tips and have a great time. Sounds like you will be making alot of memories.
1955BIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's what life is all about.. .right?

He with the most memories, wins? Or is it toys? ... Let's just call it both.

I figure life is about what you experience, dare to be different, go outside of your 'comfort zone', carpe the motherfudgin' diem.

Here's a picture from my last mountain expedition in the Blue Ridge (in a cage, seeing all the people on their bikes just made me know what I need to do!) . I'd like to get a good few weeks up there exploring it all, and yes, I take my Harley off road. It was locked up for 12 years doin nothing but collecting rat turds in it's exhaust so it's much like a dog when you say "wanna ride?"

my hairs a couple inches shorter now The Rasta believe that your hair is the antenna to pick up the wave lengths of God. Also have a better camera!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
hoggjaww
DOG ASS

Oddometer: 736
Check out the Tent Space List in Trip Planning.(linked below)

The Tent Space List v2.0

Have fun!

You're not here for a long time, you're here for a good time. - Hutchie
hoggjaww is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
don't forget to pack tools...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
kitesurfer • Today 09:58 AM
don't forget to pack tools...
Lol, I learned the hard way lol! I have a whole saddle bag (made out of a 70's era briefcase I bolted onto the bike) devoted to tools! And I've got all the tools there to do just about every job on the bike.

Thanks for that tent space link as well!

First stop will be in Asheville which I will stay around in for a couple weeks (or more, who knows! :P ) soaking in the beauty of the place, so if any of those listed would like to allow me to camp out in their yard or whatever, it'd be much appreciated!

2WheelTrampin screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 10:04 AM
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 610
crashpad

Always got tent space here !!

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
2WheelTrampin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ah Gracias mi amigo! But don't think I'll have the pleasure of going to Mehico as I lack a passport, I'd probably be a rich man down there...

Anyways, as the time progresses the anticipation and excitement seem to stir into some sort combustible cocktail of sorts. Then the "oh what ifs", but if I lived life scared of what if's I'd probably not be riding motorbikes. Being on a gas hog Harley Davidson with a 2.2 gallon tank can also make one question, as I wish I was on this old 250 I built for $400, sadly sold for a $1000. Would've been fun to ride it cross country, although it's top speed was maybe 70 mph, clocked beside a friends Harley. It got excellent gas mileage, around 60+ mpg's, just a fun scoot.

got superb gas mileage and rocked in the dirt. Man do I miss that bike, I'd like to build another one day like it, maybe a Triumph or Norton, maybe even an old Ducati motor... If you can't tell, I have some strange addiction to old motorized bicycles. I still ride mine in the dirt, but it's a little heavier than this >200 pound bike. My original intentions with the Ironhead was to paint it kind of similar to this bike in a turquoise?, or I had some other ideas gearing away in me melon, as I do custom paint whenever business is there. But the whole thing is yellow! Frame and all, and I really didn't feel like stripping it all down and sanding the whole thing, yaddah yaddah, laziness, procrastination, more fine qualities of an artist I guess.

I just love the look of the Ironhead motor (and all of the old Harley / Indian motors), it's a work of art to me as a whole. It's vicious, it's mean, it will kick your dog and then leak oil on it, and I like that I was made in the USA, and so is by bicycle, and we shall ride the USA, kind of fitting. Plus I got a good deal Maybe Harley D will want to fund just to see how far its' old bike will run it. Very doubtful, but a boy can dream Here's what it looked like pre-polish, after a small cleaning, it was pretty oxydated, taking it apart to get it to start running, before the original starter ran away on me and burned itself up. Cleaned up rather nice though!

Ok, I'll stop with my mindless blathering and silly pictures, I'm sure many are annoyed already at my presence here.

In the end, I just want to make a good story, to tell the world, the friends, the family, and if some enjoy it, I've done my job. It's nothing extravagant like exploring the whole world via motorcycle, but I think it'd be somethin else. A poor boys journey through the USA, or at least what I can, where I can, on his trusty old noble steed, Ole' Yeller. Even some mixed stories if people want to hear, dimwitted philosophy, rebel without a clue, but a noble cause! Who knows.

I think this song is appropriate;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFS_jIKJn8

2WheelTrampin screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 07:23 PM
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,241
How did you find the crated Sporty ...I want another one !
not sure how I would get along with the stock 2 gal gas tank though ...thats a real pain in the arse
looks like you have the same pipes I had ...better take ear plugs it`ll wear on ya .....all my shit would fall off the shelves in my shop when I cranked mine ...hahaha the wife and kids would run too ...