Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,675
Shocks and Dollars

My '07 GSA needs new shocks.

At 41,000 miles they feel tired and since it's a gradual degradation they are probably worse than I think. I have read a lot of the shock threads here and have done a little researching and I have pretty much decided to go with Wilbers but I am still having a tough time with the $2000 price tag. That's a lot of money for motorcycle shocks in my world.

Do I have the money? Yes.

BUT. I also have two kids in college, a mortgage, and a lovely wife so my money has a lot of destinations. I may need some convincing. For those of you that have spent the money for new shocks, is it worth it? I know that you may like them but are they worth two grand? I don't want this to become a thread about the various brands of shocks available but about the overall value of putting new aftermarket shocks on a GS.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome....flame away!

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,070
The only people who regret new shocks are those that never noticed the old ones were shot, and that do not ride hard at all. For everyone else they are an eye opener.

If I were you I would watch the flea market and E-bay and you can usually get them about half price. They are rebuildable for about $100 each or so.

Jim

PS Ohlins are not your only option, there are some for under $1500 new.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
drmajor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Shocks...Yes

Don't ride a bike with good shocks, set to your style and weight, if you don't want to write the check!!!

Didn't know how good my bike(s) would handle till I put good shocks on them... Dirt bikes, (KTM, Honda,) GSA, and LT.

Part of my issue is I am a little guy at 300#.... and if I push the bike much at all, the stock shocks just didn't handle. I have Wilbers on the LT and Ohlins on the GSA. What a difference...!!!

The LT will out handle many sport bikes and the GSA is just plain fun to ride- goes where you want w/o any hick ups. When you go over "bumps" on the road, you can feel good shocks track the road... the stock ones would some times bounce over.

My son raced dirt bikes and went to some pro schools. The instructor was talking about where to spend money on a bike--- #1 Suspension. I have to agree.

Have the shocks set to your weight and riding style.... you will like it.

I will say, the Ohlins took some time to settle in. At first I questioned my purchase or the setup. After a while- I could really tell the difference.
drmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
sdwoo154
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I got lucky and found some really good used gsa shocks in the flea market. I had about 56000 on my bike at the time and oh boy was it ever a much more thrilling ride after that.
sdwoo154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
So for a different side to the story...

I spent 2k for suspension... took me 6 months to write that check

The bike handles great (really great) but... now it rides very firm. I've been working with Ted Porter, he's been very helpful and awesome to deal with, and it seems that I may have it as 'set up' as it's going to get. I used to be able to ride 14+ hours in a day. Now a couple hours and I'm hurting. I don't want to be as 'connected' to the road as I am.

I'm cornering faster than ever with more confidence than I've ever had on this bike... Still, you might find mine on the FM in a couple months if I can't make it better. Not really sure where to go from here.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,573
Suspension is EASILY the first place to upgrade your bike..your stock shocks were most likely worn out at 20,000 miles..less if washboard roads were in it's history....

The best bang for the buck by far..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
So for a different side to the story...

I spent 2k for suspension... took me 6 months to write that check

The bike handles great (really great) but... now it rides very firm. I've been working with Ted Porter, he's been very helpful and awesome to deal with, and it seems that I may have it as 'set up' as it's going to get. I used to be able to ride 14+ hours in a day. Now a couple hours and I'm hurting. I don't want to be as 'connected' to the road as I am.

I'm cornering faster than ever with more confidence than I've ever had on this bike... Still, you might find mine on the FM in a couple months if I can't make it better. Not really sure where to go from here.
The more you back off the compression and rebound, the softer it will get..then lower oil levels, the change oil weights...it will be a wallowy mess, but will be caddy like..
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,753
When I wanted to raise my newly purchased GS back to stock height from the lowered height the original owner had the bike and didn't want to write that big of check that quickly after buying the bike, I found a set of brand new take off stock shocks in the Flea Market someone had taking up space in their garage for a mere $110.

I'd say that might be a more frugal option for you. New stock shocks would have to be better than worn out stock shocks.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
The more you back off the compression and rebound, the softer it will get..then lower oil levels, the change oil weights...it will be a wallowy mess, but will be caddy like..
Didn't know about the oil but I've been backing off a couple clicks at a time every 100 or so miles for over a month now. I'll look into the oil change.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Didn't know about the oil but I've been backing off a couple clicks at a time every 100 or so miles for over a month now. I'll look into the oil change.
Suspension fluid is normaly available in; 10wt, 5wt and some have 2.5wt, this and volume will drastically change ride characteristics..
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,347
I believe that Bruno can rebuild the rear shocks for the GS. I understand he cuts the top off and rebuilds the internals. It might be worth a phone call or email.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,675
Thanks for the responses, fellas.

That's a good idea, def. I will get in touch with Bruno. Rhubarb, definitely give me a shout if you want to sell your shocks....are they Wilbers?

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,278
I ride a 2002 GS and finally popped for a new set of shocks this winter. I bought Wilber's from Ted's after doing a lot of research. I got the ADV deal (10% off) on Christmas discount Series 3 shocks. I spent $1,500.oo delivered and was happy to do so, although it took six week to get to my door.

I figured spending a couple of grand to improve ride quality and carrying capacity was less than a new bike. I love my GS and see it as a good investment for something I'll keep for years. I have not put them on as of yet but anticipate a much improved ride over the stock shocks with over 70k on them!

Yeah if I had the big bucks I would have spent the 1,500. on a down payment for a new GSA,,,,, but mine is paid for

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I spent about $1,400 tops for my hyperpros but that was 3 years ago. Klaus built them to my specs and have been very happy with them. This was for a 2006 GS. I don't think you have to spend $2K but have to admit, I would like to have the new TTX Ohlins on my 12' GSA.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Mine are Yacugar (hyperpro's bastard brother), custom built for me using straight rate springs.
Rear is remote reservoir and HPA which bumped the price quite a bit.

They were actually $1700 and change after discount + sales tax and shipping. + $60 for a maier mud guard to protect the rear shock which took me to $1896...

Oh, then I had to go buy some vacuum caps and a hose splice for the cannister removal that I mistakenly hadn't planned for.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here