Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
4iedBandit
Road Warrior Commuter

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
My '07 GSA needs new shocks.

At 41,000 miles they feel tired and since it's a gradual degradation they are probably worse than I think. I have read a lot of the shock threads here and have done a little researching and I have pretty much decided to go with Wilbers but I am still having a tough time with the $2000 price tag. That's a lot of money for motorcycle shocks in my world.

Shocks are wear items. They will always wear out and you will always have to replace them. The biggest reason to go for the expensive shock is that most of them are REBUILDABLE! I spent $1500 on a set of Ohlins over 8 years ago. I've had them rebuilt, 2 times on the front and 3 times on the rear for about $100 per shock. When they need it again I'll have them rebuilt again.

Yes it's a sticker shock up front but it is completely worth it. You will have a better ride and it will cost you LESS down the road.

Do it. Your kids should be paying their own tuition anyway.

http://www.4ied.net
4iedBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iedBandit View Post
Shocks are wear items. They will always wear out and you will always have to replace them. The biggest reason to go for the expensive shock is that most of them are REBUILDABLE! I spent $1500 on a set of Ohlins over 8 years ago. I've had them rebuilt, 2 times on the front and 3 times on the rear for about $100 per shock. When they need it again I'll have them rebuilt again.

Yes it's a sticker shock up front but it is completely worth it. You will have a better ride and it will cost you LESS down the road.

Do it. Your kids should be paying their own tuition anyway.
\
+1 ,

Ran Ohlins on my '07 GS adventure and was going to fit on the '10 but up graded to the Mechatronic shock. The pluses are that not only are the Ohlins and other a.m. shocks rebuilable for a fraction of the price, they hold reasonable value for resale.. My rebuilt shocks fetched 1400 bucks , putting quite a dent in the Mechatronics bill.

bloochdog screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 06:20 AM
bloochdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,038
Anyone ever try this quasi-economical ohlin solution?
http://advdepot.com/ohlins-esa-repla...n-r1200gs.html
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
motorcy
motorcy

Oddometer: 20
how do i get in touch with bruno?

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I believe that Bruno can rebuild the rear shocks for the GS. I understand he cuts the top off and rebuilds the internals. It might be worth a phone call or email.
this sounds like a good option to me .How do i get in touch with bruno? And are there other places with the seal kits that will rebuild The stockers?
motorcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's actually a great deal, especially for the Esa edition.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 219
I did Yacugars through Ted last year. Can't believe the difference. Worth every penny.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #22
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,101
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I believe that Bruno can rebuild the rear shocks for the GS. I understand he cuts the top off and rebuilds the internals. It might be worth a phone call or email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcy View Post
this sounds like a good option to me .How do i get in touch with bruno? And are there other places with the seal kits that will rebuild The stockers?
Bruno?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Bruno?
Google Brunos Driveline..Canada..he rebuilds driveshsfts too
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,382
I put Works Perfomance shocks on my 2001 GS and boy what a difference. They cook them to order. I only wiegh 175 in my riding clothes, sometimes I carry 80 pounds of camping gear. They made shorter shocks and for my weight range. OH boy what a dleight. At the time it was a $1000. I suppose it's 1200 now.

I'll do it on any bike I plan to keep.

You gotta figure the weight range for OEM shocks is what???? 250 to 500 pounds? Let alone the height. Most OEM are just too darn hard for me going solo, and barely useable when loaded for camping. I can sit on a 1200 with all the pre-load off and still not get 1/3 sag which is the desirable measurement.

40,000 miles though and soggy shocks? Must have been ridden two up loaded for camping from San Felipe to Coco's and back a few dozen times. How heavy do you have to be and how hard a use to soggy OEM shocks that are rated at such high numbers? Plus they are not cheap ass shocks...Showa...not too shabby.

I bought a 1200GS on Tuesday this week. I sat on it and couldn't reach the ground with tipppy toes. I got off and looked at the pre-load..it was set at the highest/hardest. The (175pound) guy said he likes it like that, no luggage, no passenger...it was as stiff as a board, the suspension did not even work. I backed the pre-load AND rebound off all the way. I was able to at least reach the ground with one foot and the suspension actually moved a tad if I jumped on the seat. It's supposed to move....it's S U S P E N S I O N.......it suspends.

YES...spend the money...you'll love it and stimulate the economy.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #25
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's actually a great deal, especially for the Esa edition.
Yes it is. Been considering for a while. I have ESA on my 2011 1200gsa and my son has straight up ohlins with no ESA on his 2006 ESA. I like his ride way better than mine.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 380
Racetech in CA rebuilt my rear for about $165.00 It's not a wilber, but it works fine for me.

Joe
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcy View Post
http://www.brunos.us/index.html

Try this.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #28
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,690
Good replies and lots to think about.

The thing that struck me (even though I already knew it) was that I should think of these shocks as a one time expense since the rebuilds are relatively cheap. Thinking about it this way is helping me get my head around the initial purchase price.
I was leaning to Wilbers and still am, now I just need my farkle fund to fatten up.

One quick follow-up question... Is there a limit to the number of times that Wilbers shocks can be serviced and rebuilt?

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill

ausfahrt screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 11:08 PM
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 828
I am suprised to not see the new line of suspension Touratech is offering mentioned.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...MW-Motorcycles
Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #30
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
So, I took a look at this and for the life of me, it seems like a great solution to those of us with ESA bikes that have blown out a stock BMW shock, or will soon.

I have a 2009 GSA with ESA, 35,000 miles, rear shock leaked out oil. I cannot think of any reason not to go with this solution if I am to keep the bike.

Anyone tried this yet?