Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
dean-o OP
Dabs often

Oddometer: 802
95 1100gs ABS light won't quit flashing ???

the battery votage sitting still & not running is 12.9 volts. i did recently do a wash & road it a few miles to try & dry her out.
any suggestions?
dean
deanyoungiii@att.net
dean-o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,259
Accelerate to 20 mph. Shift into 3rd. In a nice smooth swift movement, pull in the clutch, turn off the key, turn the key back on, and pop the clutch. Slow down to 5 mph. Speed back up. You should hear the ABS activate itself, and the lights should go out.

If this doesn't work, then you need to ask someone else. It's possible that you'll have to take it to a dealer who can re-set the brain-thingy.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-o
the battery votage sitting still & not running is 12.9 volts. i did recently do a wash & road it a few miles to try & dry her out.
any suggestions?
dean
deanyoungiii@att.net
When I first got my used GS it would do this and performing the steps that bananaman said would fix it. It drove me nuts for awhile. Installing a new Odyssey battery fixed the issue even though the old battery tested out fine.
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
Kongo
Dog's best friend

Oddometer: 537
Mine had a similar problem soon after I brought it home a couple years back. Dealer didn't have a clue. However I found an independent BMW master mechanic (by asking here on this board). He ran a load test. Battery voltage was fine sitting still, but dropped into the 6 ~ 7 volt level during cranking. Engine started fine, but that low voltage caused the ABS controller to start up confused. He said it has to hold above about 10-1/2 V during cranking for the ABS controller to start up right.

Seems like dumb design to me. Why not let it fire up, then start the electronics? There is a mod floating around about how to re-wire to do just that. I briefly though of doing that mod, but sanity came back when I realized the new gel-cell fixed it.

Checking battery voltage without much load on it doesn't really tell you much. The real test is how well it can hold its voltage up under its heaviest load -- cranking the motor!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Check the ABS sensor assembly at the front wheel. Check that the sensor is positioned correctly and that everything is clean. A friend had a similar problem on his R1100GS (two ABS lights on the consol, right?) and this was the fix for him.

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,522
If you need to reset the ABS follow this procedure:
  1. Turn ignition off.
  2. Remove pillion and rider seats.
  3. Locate the 3 wire plug by the toolkit and remove the blue termination. (It's for diagnostics so is not connected to anything).
  4. Insert one end of wire into the *middle* socket.
  5. Clip the other end firmly to ground.
  6. Turn ignition on. Note that the two ABS lights continue flashing alternately.
  7. Hold ABS button down for 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light should stay on, the top one off.
  8. Release the ABS button.
    • If the reset is successful, both ABS lights come on.
    • If you didn't count to 8 or your ground is not good, then the top ABS light stays off. Start again and/or try pressing the ABS button before turning ignition on.
  9. Turn ignition off, remove wire, reconnect plug and refit blue termination.

GSbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
R1150gsadvrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
They all do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-o
any suggestions?
dean
deanyoungiii@att.net
Nature of the beast, use a battery tender, have a good battery, drive it a few minutes, stop, turn off key, then restart. There is a fix, but probably not worth the effort and expense. Great bike BTW, mine was Alpine White! . It does have to do with amp draw on startup fooling the abs system. Just work around it.
R1150gsadvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,910
If you have a voltage tester (light bulb type) or multimeter, I think it's best to check the fault codes- there is a small 3 wire connector with a blank cover (blue) that is under the passenger seat, on the right side of the bike.

Take off the cover, and hook your voltage tester between the middle terminal and a good ground, and turn on the ignition (no need to start the bike). The voltage will quickly jump between 0 and 12 a set number of times, then hold at 12 for a while, then repeat the pattern, and so on.

Once you've figured out the number associated with that, look here for the translation:
http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Here's a quote from that website:

Info on diagnosing ABS1 and ABS2 faults is described by Brian Curry in great detail on the IBMWR K-tech pages. In a nutshell, by putting a readout light between the ABS pin and ground you can get a blink code when the bike is on. All codes except 5 seem to be persistent (needing reset by this procedure). There is also a BMW document, part 01 71 9 798 811 (5/90), that you may be able to locate which is for troubleshooting ABS.

1. front pressure modulator
2. rear pressure modulator
3. front wheel speed sensor
4. rear wheel speed sensor
5. battery voltage too low
6. ABS relay
7. ABS control unit
8. sensor gap front or rear, or other outsude influence
16. reportedly "Failed plunger test" (also seems to be persistent)

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
zarly
Action Pants!

Oddometer: 342
mine too!

Yep, I just brought home a 95 a couple of days ago and it does the same thing. The previous owner bought the bike from new, and he said that its always done it. To stop it from blinking, let it run for a bit, then turn it off, then back on and it should be fine. So far that seems to do the trick. I suppose you could do the 3rd gear shut it down and bump start it again, but I haven't tried that one yet. Also, previous owner said the battery is pretty new so I'm not sure if the battery is the issue. I guess this is a common issue.

Doug

Victoria, BC
Canada
zarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
dean-o OP
Dabs often

different this time

i usually get them to go out after riding it a bit & restart, but not this time dadgummit!
dean
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Moncho11
White bikes rock!

Oddometer: 84
I have pretty much done everything that has been said here without success... except changing the battery (I'm a bit broke and the current battery is still cranking it good)
I cut two pieces of electrical tape and placed them carefully over the stupid lights and now ride carefully knowing I dont have ABS... Problem fixed! or at least the pain of having to look at the lights and the insanity that was bringing!!
Moncho11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,983
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336410

My pics are gone, but if ya need them or have questions, send me a PM!

I can't leave good enough alone.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
dean-o OP
Dabs often

this worked for me - THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
If you need to reset the ABS follow this procedure:
  1. Turn ignition off.
  2. Remove pillion and rider seats.
  3. Locate the 3 wire plug by the toolkit and remove the blue termination. (It's for diagnostics so is not connected to anything).
  4. Insert one end of wire into the *middle* socket.
  5. Clip the other end firmly to ground.
  6. Turn ignition on. Note that the two ABS lights continue flashing alternately.
  7. Hold ABS button down for 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light should stay on, the top one off.
  8. Release the ABS button.
    • If the reset is successful, both ABS lights come on.
    • If you didn't count to 8 or your ground is not good, then the top ABS light stays off. Start again and/or try pressing the ABS button before turning ignition on.
  9. Turn ignition off, remove wire, reconnect plug and refit blue termination.
WORKED WELL FOR ME!!!!thanks for the good info : )
dean
tennessee
Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
dean-o OP
Dabs often

dang

tonite on the way home the headlight seemed to flash a bit as i heard the abs "noise" while in motion & yes- the ABS lights are flashing again...
poooooh.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
The ABS resets it's self every 15 min or so and you can hear it if you not going fast. Sounds like yours is at least trying to work. My ABS periodicly failes to arm itself after too much in town riding. It's just a sign of a weak battery. As someone said, just ride for a bit and when you come to a stop swich it of and restart. It should arm just fine. If that doesn't work try taking it to a battery shop and have it professionally charged. I have an old and weak Odyssey battery and the dealer suggested I do it this spring. Said it will make it like new. Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote