User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Les_Garten OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Ohlins Monoshock RT Question

I am looking into the Ohlins BM941 rear shock on my '92 RT. Can someone that has experience fitting these advise about any bushings top and bottom that are needed.

I am placing an order to Motobins and would like to order the Bushings if I need them.
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
tofgasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
You will not need any bushings, they are provided with the rear shock.

You might have to find a suitable place for the nitrogen tank, it's a little bit tricky to install without interference with the side cases.
tofgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofgasp View Post
....You might have to find a suitable place for the nitrogen tank, it's a little bit tricky to install without interference with the side cases.
My experience exactly. I have the Integral (K-bike style) cases on my 1994 R100RT, I think installation is a little easier with the older Touring cases. The old thread here has pictures of my installation: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469568

Current Rides: 1974 TR5T : 1993 R100R : 1994 R100RT
Past Rides: 11# 1970s BSA/Triumph Singles & Twins : 2# 1970s CZ 125s : 1985 BMW R65 : 1976 Moby X7

R100RT Mark screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 05:40 AM
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Les_Garten OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R100RT Mark View Post
My experience exactly. I have the Integral (K-bike style) cases on my 1994 R100RT, I think installation is a little easier with the older Touring cases. The old thread here has pictures of my installation: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469568
Did you install it yourself?

Did you have to come up with any bushes?

I've seen your pix before and was wondering about the ends of your shocks. Looks like they use bushings.

How do you like the Ohlins?

Is the remote tank worth the upcharge?

Les_Garten screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 09:19 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post

Did you have to come up with any bushes?

I've seen your pix before and was wondering about the ends of your shocks. Looks like they use bushings.
They use a spherical bearing with aluminum spacers pressed into the spherical bearing with seals around them.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
Les_Garten OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
They use a spherical bearing with aluminum spacers pressed into the spherical bearing with seals around them.
Thanx, I got sidetracked reading the thread about your ST. Wow! Nice job there!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Yes. SImple once I had worked out where the nitrogen cylinder woudl work best.

Quote:
Did you have to come up with any bushes......wondering about the ends of your shocks....Looks like they use bushings
As noted elsewhere the Ohlins come complete with spherical type bushings. Simple unbolt old, bolt on new (once you have the remote reservoir sorted)

Quote:
How do you like the Ohlins? Is the remote tank worth the upcharge?
I am just a regular Joe in terms for riding and suspension set up skills, and the demand I make of my bikes’ suspension systems.

In practice, with the Ohlins 941 on my monolever 1994 R100RT I have come down to using three pairs of compression and rebound settings, depending on load. It seems that the compression damping adjustment allows for a little softer ride without getting too bouncy. Not sure that this makes the difference in price worthwhile.

I chose the Wilbers 640 for my paralever 1993 R100R. This has rebound dampening adjustment only. I opted for Wilbers to have something other than the Ohlins, and as this bike only ever gets one-up lightly loaded duty did not think that I would need the all-singing all-dancing adjustment of the more fully featured Wilbers models (or the Ohlins). No regrets about “cheapening out” here, but there again this bike is a much better handing/stopping bike than the monolever. With the latter as my benchmark my contentment with a less-featured rear suspension on the R100R may be more a reflection on the relative capabilities of each bike’s fundamental set up than a comment on the merits of the features of their different rear suspension components.

My guess is that 95% of us would be happy 95% of the time with a “simple” quality rebound-only solution. In situations such as this I am reminded of the statistic from driving safety that goes some like 95% of high school drivers consider themselves to rank in the top 5% of driving skills – I think that same characteristic is to be found in motorcycle riders of all ages generally, and certainly when it comes down to the nuances of suspension set up.

Current Rides: 1974 TR5T : 1993 R100R : 1994 R100RT
Past Rides: 11# 1970s BSA/Triumph Singles & Twins : 2# 1970s CZ 125s : 1985 BMW R65 : 1976 Moby X7
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Les_Garten OP
Studly Adventurer

Interesting that you laid that out.

I talked to Ted Porter today and think the Wilbers 630 may be a better move for me.