User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
rwiles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Airhead GS Which Fork Dampens

On an Airhead GS (1994), which fork leg does the rebound damping and which fork leg does the compression damping?

Is it appropriate to use different weight fork oils on either side to tune the compression and
rwiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiles View Post
On an Airhead GS (1994), which fork leg does the rebound damping and which fork leg does the compression damping?

Is it appropriate to use different weight fork oils on either side to tune the compression and
Rebound is on the Right. (assuming they haven't been messed with - it is possible to swap the internals between fork legs.)

Yes, the only reason they separated the functions between legs is so that you can adjust compression and rebound independently by using different oil weights.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 06:52 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Rebound is on the Right. (assuming they haven't been messed with - it is possible to swap the internals between fork legs.)

Yes, the only reason they separated the functions between legs is so that you can adjust compression and rebound independently by using different oil weights.
And yet hardly anyone does it. I have never serviced one and had different weights requested and I have serviced a good number of them. It seems a lot of people put emulators in them without first trying to dial them in. Rirst things first IMO. Based on my experiements on the road with earlier forks I would probably run 2.5 or 5wt in the left fork and around 25wt in the right one but I have never actually tried it. Remember that my suspension advise ALWAYS includes getting the spring and preload dialed in first and not using compression damping to try to dial in my preload. That is the wrong path!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
I got satisfactory results by using 10w for compression and 15w for rebound. That was my first try and it was good enough, so I didn't go back and experiment with it though I probably should have. Fork oil isn't cheap.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,991
When I had stock internals, I used a heavier weight on the compression side. Roughly 15-20w on the compression side, and 10 or so on the rebound. I got the preload right about correct for me, something like 25-30% with an inch and a half long PVC spacer at the top, then mucked about with the oil.