User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
jimkat OP
jim

Oddometer: 613
Garry Junction

Just looking at a few options for a ride in August.
Has anyone gone the full length of the Gary Junction Road/Highway recently.
Is fuel easy to get at Papunya and or Kiwirrkurra?
And what could be a time allowed to cover this road? Not racing.
I will most likely be going East-West ,mabye come up from Haasts Bluff.
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
G'day,

We did this a couple oh years ago in a 4WD, track was easy and on these trips I always look at it from a bike perspective. Few sandy patches, we got Fuel at Kintore and each community onwards. A few corners were a problem mainly with soft sides. The edges can give way. You will need permits to do this. Some great camping along the way. It is very remote as we had no traffic at all. Not community opening closing times as they tend to stick to this.

Tvan
Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
jimkat OP
jim

Oddometer: 613
Thanks for the reply.
I've looked at a few youtube clips but they are all 3-4 years old and things can change I guess.
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,886
Did it in 2011 in a 4x.

Fueled at Papunya. Didn't fuel again until Kunawarritji on the Canning Stockroute. Bear in mind the opening times at Papunya and it can be slow as there was a queue.

The road is a dirt highway effectively. Except that it rained and we holed out at the base of Mt Teitkens for a day and a half to let the road recover. We exited at the Kidson Trk intersection so I don't know what its like past there but it was on the improve before then so should be good.

Nice country. Camping is easy pretty much anywhere but Jupiter Well is a real feature. Best bush camping in the inland IMO.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
stormsearcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrossed View Post
Did it in 2011 in a 4x.

Fueled at Papunya. Didn't fuel again until Kunawarritji on the Canning Stockroute. Bear in mind the opening times at Papunya and it can be slow as there was a queue.

The road is a dirt highway effectively. Except that it rained and we holed out at the base of Mt Teitkens for a day and a half to let the road recover. We exited at the Kidson Trk intersection so I don't know what its like past there but it was on the improve before then so should be good.

Nice country. Camping is easy pretty much anywhere but Jupiter Well is a real feature. Best bush camping in the inland IMO.
Kidson
or the Wapet track is hell.overgrown with wattle and sand.washouts.its closed now anyways.took me nearly 50 he's to ride 500 kms.crashed pretty heavily after clipping wattle at about 100 kmph as I had to get out ASAP due to having no water left.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCrossed View Post
Did it in 2011 in a 4x.

+1 Jupiter Well is a top spot. Use to use this road nearly every year when I lived in PH to cut miles off reachin holiday destinations. Very few sandy patches that you need to worry about (stretch near jupiters well is probably about the longest)and most of the snotty bits a really obvious.

Not many people travel that road (even though it isn't difficult or there aren't great distances between fuel if you time your travel to suit refuels)

Disclaimer - I always travelled this road in my 4b and had 250+ litre of fuel. Even though distance between refuels isn't that great you need to time them with opening times of communities.

I spent near on 3 weeks travelling it (with diversions) the first time I travelled it with the family in the 4b and didn't see another vehicle till near the end of the third week.

But as said in previous posts I view it as if riding and if your half the rider I am you'll piss it in - just watch your fuel range.

Oh and I'm pretty ordinary at riding - but better than OldDog