User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
gumbellion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Stopping a vehicle windshield crack

I took a stone on friday and have a crack that is about 6 inches long in my windshield of my vehicle. I am going to replace it but it would be nice if there is something I can do to stop it from spreading any further for the time being. I would like to keep using this busted one until they stop sanding the roads, because with my luck lately on my way home from getting the new one in I will take another rock
I was thinking maybe I could drill into the glass but stop before going through the plastic film stuff that is on the windshield

Ideas/Suggestion
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
scottalot
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
You will most likely make matters much worse by drilling it. Its laminated galss and cracks very easily. It stinks but you are pretty well stuck with the crack and its spreading. To make matters worse, being in your cold climate with heat running in your vehicle will cause thermal expansion and contraction- hence spreading it. That in addition to bumps in the road (vibrations), wind, ect- will cause it to grow. If you're are feeling really brave and want to try drilling it run to a lowes/hardware store and get a set of spearhead drill bits (that or fancy diamond bits made just for glass - but they are expensive, have to be ordered, and will walk on you when you drill - and be bigger holes). Take the bit and dry drill very lightly to give yourself a small point to keep the bit from walking. Then, get out some mineral spirits and a paint brush. You have to keep the hole lubed up while you drill at medium speed. If white powder starts to appear its to hot and about to break. This is gonna really fight you since you're drilling surface is leaning- draining the lubricant. As you drill you have to wallow the drill slightly to keep the hole size larger than the bit or it will catch and destroy the glass.

This is extremely highly not a good idea. The vibrations of drilling it with it on the car will most surely spread the crack past where you're drilling. If by chance, CHANCE, you get through the first pc. of glass there is a very good chance the bit will grab the laminate and then break the glass. If, by some miricle you get through the first pc. of glass and the laminate you will for sure break the second pc. of glass when you go through by not having it supported on a table with wood under it. Then, lastly, there is the issue of putting many, many, mico fractures in the glass while in the process of drilling. The glass in most windshields these days is two pc.s that are just lightly over 1/16" thick laminated together - fragile..

Sorry for the long explanation - just covering bases..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,445
I have drilled a few cracks, as in too many. The star shaped ones are annoying to drill they have so many points. Very high magnification and the dremel with a very small diamond coated bit. Less than $10.00 for like 10 such bits of different shapes for the dremel,don't remember if Harbor Freight has them, I think so but I bought mine in Canada. I stop at the plastic, you can usually tell.

Should help for a few months.

I use this for magnification...Dad's old tools:

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 126
http://www.amazon.com/Fix-A-Flat-Fix.../dp/B000EA5WLS

Maybe you'll have better luck finding this in stores, in northern BC seems everybody gets stars and cracks during the winter month yet I can't find this stuff anymore in stock..

Immeaditaly applied to a hit on the window shield, in many cases in the past stops the cracks from spreading.
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,200
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858871
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
A friend of mine showed me a trick, scratch the glass at a 90 degree angle to the crack with the tip of a sharp knife. It's not a permanent fix but mine stayed in one spot for a couple of years before spreading. When it did I scratched it again which slowed it down again. After about four years I gave in and got a new windshield.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
gumbellion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

drove into town on sunday and the crack spread a couple feet. Its almost at the bottom corner on the passenger side now. So hopefully it cracks to the end of the windshield and wont go anywhere else until we get some spring rains
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
sledgegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
In the UK there is a company which repairs chipped/cracked windscreens using plastic resin. They pump liquid resin into the chip/crack under pressure, and it then sets solid glueing the crack together.

I don't know whether they operate in the USA, but I am sure that someone will e offering this service. However, it is possible that your crack has now grown too big.

Can't remember their name at the moment, but will post it next time their advert comes on TV.
sledgegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
stuj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgegreen View Post
In the UK there is a company which repairs chipped/cracked windscreens using plastic resin. They pump liquid resin into the chip/crack under pressure, and it then sets solid glueing the crack together.

I don't know whether they operate in the USA, but I am sure that someone will e offering this service. However, it is possible that your crack has now grown too big.

Can't remember their name at the moment, but will post it next time their advert comes on TV.
Autoglass ;)
I have used superglue to the same affect to fill chips in wind shields so that they pass inspection!
It takes a few applications which you allow to dry between each one, then level the resin by scraping a razor blade over the top.
Hope that helps.
stuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledgegreen View Post
In the UK there is a company which repairs chipped/cracked windscreens using plastic resin.
AFAIK that just works for chips/star cracks radiating from one spot. I've had it done. I don't think it's for an actual lengthy propagating crack.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
I took a stone on friday and have a crack that is about 6 inches long in my windshield of my vehicle. I am going to replace it but it would be nice if there is something I can do to stop it from spreading any further for the time being.
What's the impediment to having it replaced now? Do you have "Full Glass" insurance coverage in the Great White North? Here, I could get that replaced with no deductible.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,172
Cracks, chips and bullseyes can be "fixed" if the area can fit under a dollar bill. Any Safelite place can do it. They pull a vacuum and inject the resin. If you want to save it I suggest you get it there quickly before it spreads...don't drill it..the chances are too great you will make it worse.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
gumbellion OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbellion View Post
. I would like to keep using this busted one until they stop sanding the roads, because with my luck lately on my way home from getting the new one in I will take another rock
I drive on the highway everyday, and since they coat the road in shit on a daily basis its rare that a week goes by that i dont hear that familiar "crack" of a stone or chunk of frozen sand/crap hitting the windshield. So once the snow pisses off I know I can go for at least 6 months without a need to replace it again

glass up here has a couple hundred deductible, so its not worth it
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
zoltan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
clear fingernail polish works great on smaller dings and cracks. you just need coat it so no air or water gets in.
zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,612
If it's a common car a windshield these days is much cheaper than they used to be. Actually I may be out of date a little but I had a brand new windshield installed at my location 10 years ago in a 1995 For Crown Victoria for $160.

They used to cost more than that used at a junk yard. I think the Chinese are making windshields.

Auto Glass stores will give you a quote on the phone most of the time.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote