Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Hippo hands?
Ya beat me to it!

To the OP holy shit dude, somebody made a mistake at work (who hasn't) admitted it, then apologized and you end up here? WTF were you expecting from them?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #17
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Of course they admitted their mistake. What other option did they have after the other dealer replaced them under warranty? It's not like they discovered this on their own and manned up.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Ya beat me to it!

To the OP holy shit dude, somebody made a mistake at work (who hasn't) admitted it, then apologized and you end up here? WTF were you expecting from them?
They did after another dealer fixed their problem, shit, I would have been happy with a t-shirt or even $50 off the next service. I still kind of feel the only reason they admitted their mistake. was I told them I had the problem fix at the competition.

H-D sends out a survey at the 18th month of ownership and asks about dealer support. This dealership will not get a good score. H-D wants all 10's on the survey.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post

I agree that they should offer you a free oil change or future discount of some sort to make up for the extra hassle they caused you.
I'd go back. Been in the Customer Service biz for some time now and the message from the Service Manager was a good one. He opened the door by inviting you to let him know if there was anything he could do for you. I especially appreciate that he did not simply offer a discount, service, or trinket to make up for the hassle and inconvenience. It doesn't work all the time. Every customer places different value on different needs. Not everyone would appreciate a free oil change, or a T-shirt - and now the business is trying to guess what will make you happy.

Because he asked you, you can let him know how you would choose to feel valued as a repeat customer and then the ball is in their court. Customers shouldn't expect something for nothing, but the fact is you had to go out of your way to fix something that they should have in the 1st place.

Find what would make you feel comfortable returning there and ask for it. If it is within reason its a win-win for everyone.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
"...I still kind of feel..."

H-D sends out a survey at the 18th month of ownership and asks about dealer support. This dealership will not get a good score. H-D wants all 10's on the survey.
It must suck to go through life being bitter and holding on to grudges. Are you a man... or a whiny punk? You seem to be reasonable... So why are you intending to throw them under the bus when they stepped up and owed that they were wrong? If they had not done so I would say that they are in the whiny punk end of things.

Learn to let things go and you will be happier in the long run.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 01:08 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
It must suck to go through life being bitter and holding on to grudges. Are you a man... or a whiny punk? Why are you intending to throw them under the bus when they stepped up and owed that they were wrong?

Learn to let things go and you will be happier in the long run.
At this time I'm pissed and frustrated, after spending 25K for the bike, and the ESP and not getting support. It's not like this is not a known issue with H-D touring bikes. I came real close to selling the bike at loss and going my second choice of touring bike, the BMW K1600. It took them 13 days to figure out what the problem was, I should have received the email or better yet a call from the service manager after 48 hours max.

They have done all the current service, they did the 1K and 5k service. It's not like I blew them off, and only brought the bike in for warranty work.

DAKEZ, I know your a sales person for H-D.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #22
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
DOH! I wasn't done editing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
At this time I'm pissed and frustrated, after spending 25K for the bike, and the ESP and not getting support. It's not like this is not a known issue with H-D touring bikes. I came real close to selling the bike at loss and going my second choice of touring bike, the BMW K1600. It took them 13 days to figure out what the problem was, I should have received the email or better yet a call from the service manager after 48 hours max.

They have done all the current service, they did the 1K and 5k service. It's not like I blew them off, and only brought the bike in for warranty work.

And you seem to be reasonable. This is why I question why you would be holding a grudge after they admitted they were wrong. The two just don't jive. I may have missed something, miss-read something or perhaps you felt you conveyed something that I/we missed. (Often done on forums)

Life is too short to remain bitter. You asked "would you go back to this dealership?" The majority of the posts so far say YES. I think the reason for this majority is because they did not dismiss you. They admitted they did wrong.

I do think they should have offered something for your inconvenience... Who knows they still might. Have you been into the store since it happened? They may already have some sort of compensation for you set aside or noted in the computer.

Bad dealers are BAD for ALL dealers. It seems to me they have at least made an attempt to be a good one. That is why I said I would go back.

Mistakes are made. Most are not intentional but done through some type of ignorance. It is how the mistakes are handled that separates a good dealership from a bad one.

Apparently you still remain slighted, yet you cared enough to post this thread to see if it was justified in the opinion of others. That is the actions of a reasonable man... And it does not jive with you wanting to retaliate with a BAD survey.

You said "it took them 13 days to figure out what the problem was"

They had your bike for 13 days? Unless they told you it would be a week before they could look at it, you should have had a call within a day (two depending on when you dropped it off)

Let me ask you this. What would YOU like to see happen?

DAKEZ screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 01:46 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
enz0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
you could look at this another way entirely, the second dealership was helpful, gave you good information and had you back on the road and confident in the bike again, why wouldn't you reward that type of behavior with your business?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
What does Paul's mom look like?

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by enz0 View Post
you could look at this another way entirely, the second dealership was helpful, gave you good information and had you back on the road and confident in the bike again, why wouldn't you reward that type of behavior with your business?
Yep.

You have the choice of two;

i) who has had you past business and made one mistake.

ii) who corrected dealers i mistake - but had no past dealing with you.

I'd go with ii in the future to reward them for their service.

markk9 - you should by all means state the truth on the HD survey for both dealers. Not a matter of grudge. But do take a good ride on the bike beforehand to get a level head. Dealer i has made ONE mistake, admitted it - and you have your bike back in good condition. It was not the shortest/best way for the fix, but it is done and nothing anyone can do about that now. So get on with it, past is past. If you need to take it further I'd go talk to Paul in person, take someone (preferably independent of both of you, but respected by you) who could help moderate?

As someone said - your lucky to have two dealers close by to chose between, many have only one and even they are a fair distance away.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
DOH! I wasn't done editing that.

And you seem to be reasonable. This is why I question why you would be holding a grudge after they admitted they were wrong. The two just don't jive. I may have missed something, miss-read something or perhaps you felt you conveyed something that I/we missed. (Often done on forums)

Life is too short to remain bitter. You asked "would you go back to this dealership?" The majority of the posts so far say YES. I think the reason for this majority is because they did not dismiss you. They admitted they did wrong.

I do think they should have offered something for your inconvenience... Who knows they still might. Have you been into the store since it happened? They may already have some sort of compensation for you set aside or noted in the computer.

Bad dealers are BAD for ALL dealers. It seems to me they have at least made an attempt to be a good one. That is why I said I would go back.

Mistakes are made. Most are not intentional but done through some type of ignorance. It is how the mistakes are handled that separates a good dealership from a bad one.

Apparently you still remain slighted, yet you cared enough to post this thread to see if it was justified in the opinion of others. That is the actions of a reasonable man... And it does not jive with you wanting to retaliate with a BAD survey.

You said "it took them 13 days to figure out what the problem was"

They had your bike for 13 days? Unless they told you it would be a week before they could look at it, you should have had a call within a day (two depending on when you dropped it off)

Let me ask you this. What would YOU like to see happen?
Dealer #1 only had the bike 2 days. I asked dealer #1 are you sure it's not covered, that I had seen and read on the internet this is a problem with touring bikes and being covered under warranty, they again flat said no, we will not cover it. To me this was a taste of what the next years of warranty service were going to be like. After I had the problem fixed at dealer #2, and emailed my complaint, it took dealer #1 13 days to respond. I really think dealer #1 should have responded to my complaint email with a phone call with in 48 hours. I have a feeling, the only reason I'm getting a response is that dealer #2 did the warranty repair.

Yes, I'm still pissed at dealer #1, lack of timely response and no offer for my inconvenience. After spending 40K+ in 2 years, I expected to be treated better. Yes, I would like to keep using dealer #1, they are only 15 miles away. I have not been back to dealer #1, yet, plan to by end of this week, to talk to Paul in person.

What would I like to see happen? Right now still being a bit pissed, I would like my next service (the 10K service) free. Again, it's not like this is an unknown issue, H-D knows it's an issue. As for the survey, it's 14 months away, I will not be pissed, I will get over this, but I really don't think They will be getting all 10's. Now, I'm not going to rate them all 1's either. I will be fair.

What makes this even harder for me is that both dealers have a great reputation.

markk9 screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 02:57 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #27
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to say overall I really love the my Ultra Limited, the bike is great. I bough it in mid October and have put 8,000 miles on her to date.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
You got a dealer service department to admit they made a mistake?........and you're still pissed!!? And the repar was coverd under WARENTY?!!......and you're still pissed!!? WOW!!?........

Just kidding, but for those of us that have a hard time getting dealers to even answer thier phones, or say hello to you when you walk into the dealership, and have NEVER even heard of covering something under warrenty.....this does sound like something not worth holding a grudge about.

Sounds to me like you don't really trust the 1st dealer to do what is right anymore, but you have good vibes about the 2nd dealer. I'd put up with the little longer trip in order to take it someplace where you might avoid any future stress and worry. Just let it go, not worth getting upset about IMO.
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Hoppalong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I know very little about the business of motorcycle sales and service. So my questions are: who pays for the waranty work? Does any of it come out of the dealer's pocket? If not, if HD pays for it, wouldn't the dealer's service department want to press a little bit to GET the waranty work? Wouldn't it show up on the books just like any work they were lucky enough to get from any customer?
Hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
You want a 10K free? That's a 5 hour service done correctly. Unreasonable.