Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
srpuywa OP
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 424
thanks for all the inputs - the mount and tank will stay where it is (empty) for awhile, I'll put the wife on the back to simulate a heavy load and see if it drags. I don't plan on racing sport bikes through the twisties when I'm loaded up to do the 4 corners ride. I ordered a water container to mount there if I don't see a need for extra gas - however I've been out in bum-fuk nowhere Eastern Washington hoping not to run out of gas

I don't think the rotopax would grind thru very easy if it did drag on the pavement, they are made pretty stout

All the other mounting I've seen aren't much better - in front or back of the panniers probably no better in a crash or on a rack that takes up valuable space

If I do crash and burn I'll post pics!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,286
Bad idea

Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Do it !

Normally when you want/need a little extra gas it is not in a situation that you are hitting the curves aggressive or on a rough unpaved situation, it is in a long desolate stretch where gas stations are few and far between.
Last year I made my maiden voyage to Alaska on an '04 1150 GS Adventure. I think my fuel capacity is 8.3 gallons which is enough for all the stretches between Arkansas and Alaska.
Here is the situation where 8.3 gallons is a close call. After leaving Ft. Nelson, BC I wanted to go up to the NW Territory to be able to say that I had done it. After crossing the NWT border the road was wet, slippery, unpaved and more than I was in the mood to tackle fully loaded. Turning around and back tracking was a very close call on gas. There were other times when there was suppose to be gas available but was not. Another time the only station in town didn't open until 9:00 a.m., 4 hours after my planned departure time.
There were 3 or 4 times an extra 2 gallons would have saved time or given peace of mind. There was never a time on the trip that the riding was aggressive enough that Rotopax on the bottom of my Jesse's would have been a problem.
The next trip to AK I will have Rotapax mounted to the bottom of my Jesse's. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.
The "Starbucks" comments are cute but there truly are some circumstance that a couple extra gallons on a GSA are good.
This is only my POV, everyone is entitled to theirs.
Izzy
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
thanks for all the inputs - the mount and tank will stay where it is (empty) for awhile, I'll put the wife on the back to simulate a heavy load and see if it drags. I don't plan on racing sport bikes through the twisties when I'm loaded up to do the 4 corners ride. I ordered a water container to mount there if I don't see a need for extra gas - however I've been out in bum-fuk nowhere Eastern Washington hoping not to run out of gas

I don't think the rotopax would grind thru very easy if it did drag on the pavement, they are made pretty stout

All the other mounting I've seen aren't much better - in front or back of the panniers probably no better in a crash or on a rack that takes up valuable space

If I do crash and burn I'll post pics!
You might want to be careful how you put that to her

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
MoodyGS
Going round the bend

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
You might want to be careful how you put that to her
Yes quite, my very thought when i read the post as well!
MoodyGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
srpuywa OP
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 424
I've been married to her for over 30 years, so it will be a 2 up test

She's supported my BMW habit a long time.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #22
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy's View Post
Normally when you want/need a little extra gas it is not in a situation that you are hitting the curves aggressive or on a rough unpaved situation, it is in a long desolate stretch where gas stations are few and far between.
Last year I made my maiden voyage to Alaska on an '04 1150 GS Adventure. I think my fuel capacity is 8.3 gallons which is enough for all the stretches between Arkansas and Alaska.
Here is the situation where 8.3 gallons is a close call. After leaving Ft. Nelson, BC I wanted to go up to the NW Territory to be able to say that I had done it. After crossing the NWT border the road was wet, slippery, unpaved and more than I was in the mood to tackle fully loaded. Turning around and back tracking was a very close call on gas. There were other times when there was suppose to be gas available but was not. Another time the only station in town didn't open until 9:00 a.m., 4 hours after my planned departure time.
There were 3 or 4 times an extra 2 gallons would have saved time or given peace of mind. There was never a time on the trip that the riding was aggressive enough that Rotopax on the bottom of my Jesse's would have been a problem.
The next trip to AK I will have Rotapax mounted to the bottom of my Jesse's. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.
The "Starbucks" comments are cute but there truly are some circumstance that a couple extra gallons on a GSA are good.
This is only my POV, everyone is entitled to theirs.
Izzy
Colleen and James rode their two 'normal' none GSA GS's up there and never used our extra gas. Well I did start some camp fires with it a time or two. Furthest gas I have encountered in a couple or three million miles was 205 miles apart.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
funsummer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
its a decent attempt at a hard to resolve problem.
Needing a little bit more gas/water is a standard issue over here in west Aussie.
Weight is low=great
Its tucked out of way so access to luggage easy=great
it protrudes outside bottom edge so when it touches tarmac it will support 250+kg= great no scratches to bike
IT HOLDS A FLAMMABLE LIQUID THAT IGNITES VERY EASY=great for starting camp fires

i think its overall a great attempt at a hard to solve problem.
I really want to be following that bike with a helmet cam.
When it low slides, sparks from front crash bars ignite leaking fuel..
WHOOF...its a BMW burn out!!!!

Did you see that!!!!
funsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
A-b

Point a to point b you are 100% correct.
It is voluntary detour/excursions that will put more distance between gas sources.
The station opening at 9:00 a.m. Cost me 200 miles that day.
You missed my points.
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Can't be any worse than where mine is.

Pretty sure I won't be taking this porky girl anywhere it'll be a problem. {not planning on doing the road of bones any time soon.}
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #26
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Can't be any worse than where mine is.

Pretty sure I won't be taking this porky girl anywhere it'll be a problem. {not planning on doing the road of bones any time soon.}
And...you've got yours mounted on the LEFT (Muffler) side.
Actually surprised that your muffler exhaust heat hasn't MELTED/SOFTENED the fuel pack?

The sides of your CARIBOU CASE are an ideal candidate for mounting 1-Gallon RotoPax...1 on each side (prefer RIGHT side only)...HIGH and more protected in case of a 'nap'.
The height of the RotoPax can be mounted to be level with the top of the Caribou (mine's a 1550) leaving you a nice flat area for carrying other items.

"Sign Forest" at Watson Lake, BC photo DSC01284.jpg

Another picture from back of the bike:
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/DSC01241.jpg
BLUE
The floor of my TENT got partially melted when it was too close to the muffler. NOT the BLUE tent in the visible picture...I learned to put it on TOP!
But...I got a NEW TENT out of the ordeal.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 08:25 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #27
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy's View Post
Point a to point b you are 100% correct.
It is voluntary detour/excursions that will put more distance between gas sources.
The station opening at 9:00 a.m. Cost me 200 miles that day.
You missed my points.
Agreed!
People seem to think that just because the GSA has (up to) a 350 mile range, you'd be crazy or stupid to want more than that. But consider that most cars have a greater range than that.
My '04 F150 has almost a 700 mile range, with it's 35 gallon tank.

I don't question the personal preference, or even wisdom, of carrying an extra gallon or two where fuel supplies are far between and unreliable.
I just don't see the "wisdom" of keeping the weight low by creating a bigger hazard.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #28
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
And...you've got yours mounted on the LEFT (Muffler) side.
Actually surprised that your muffler exhaust heat hasn't MELTED/SOFTENED the fuel pack?
Stock muffler gone, stubby run off the cat.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 883
You might build a skid plate for it. Then you would hear it grind if it did.
I have seen this done before but I thimk the luggage cans were mounted higher to do it.
Water on one side and fuel on the other. I have some road rash on the outside corners of both of
my cans. This seems to happen in an unplanned sort of way.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 743
I'd say "What me worry" everyone else is doing it...