User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
rdcamp OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Newb/interested adv rider

So, my plan is, once I win the lotto or end up getting a job that will make me money to get an adventure tourer bike.

I mountain bike, and love the idea of being able to explore areas on a motorcycle which I currently can't on my R80RT

I have no xcountry/dirtbike experience.

What should my first step be? I'm very biased towards Beemers, albeit short which leaves the big bikes. I like the idea of a bike which I can really do anything with, more interested in touring then going super duper fast.

Would I be better off getting a used 250 or something along the lines of a KLR650 before investing in a F650/800/Tiger

Where I live the only dealerships that sell offroad bikes are Suzu, Kawi, Yamaha and Honda. No Husky or KTM
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 502
Forget the brand biases...

I would recommend a DRZ 400 to start out. KLR is not a bad idea either but a 250 is probably too small. I love my F800 but is makes no sense to start on one imo. Don't think you cannot enjoy riding just as much if not more on the DRZ or KLR
Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
rdcamp OP
Adventurer

I noticed they all have really high seats....

I'm 5'7'' and am on my tippy toes when I'm on my dads R100RS 33''+?

Do the suspensions on the dirt bikes sink with the weight or a rider?

I'll prob be around 160-180 when and if this occurs.

Perhaps I should go to the thumper thread.

Is the DRZ easy to maintain?

I know nothing about other bikes other then some knowledge of airheads.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
You'd be amazed how many places an R80RT can go!

It has a 19inch front wheel..it's only real limitation is ground clearance. just take it a bit easier.

Note also it only weight a bit more than the F800GS and I think less than the Tiger

Standard so call dual sport tires stock on F800/triumphs are really no better in traction than the old M88 or the like on R80s unless you really move to knobbys...which you could put on the R80 too
the original GS was a R80/100 jacked up just a bit. If memory serves you can move the fork tubes down(results in up) and inch or so and finding a bit longer rear shock will raise the rear ie old R100gs rear shock it think would be a bolt on.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
cuonawv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
drz..

I started riding (daily commute) on a DRZ400SM and really enjoyed it. I'm 5'10 and was pretty much flat footed on it, so I can't imagine 5'7 would suffer too much. The DRZ was super easy to maintain, insure and fill up at the pump (60mpg).

For me it was a great first bike to cut my ADV teeth on. I put on a pair of Avon Distszia and hit the trails. It was a super light bike, easy to man handle, with enough guts to get up and go when necessary.

I just upgraded to a F800GS, which is a fantastic bike, but in a completely different league. HUGE learning curve with the added height and weight. I'm very glad I started on the DRZ.

Besides, there seems to always be market for used DRZ's. If you're ready to move up in a year, you'll be able to sell and not take a hit.

From one noob to another - welcome to the addiction!

2012 F800GS
cuonawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Fyi

The DR650 has a built in low setting. Over an inch lower than stock without adding lowering links, just moving spacers on the supension and it is already lower than a KLR or DRZ.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,950
Start out by looking at an offroad camp or daily workshop on basic offroad skills.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
rdcamp OP
Adventurer

Ok cool. I will definitely see what sort of class I can get.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
rdcamp OP
Adventurer

Yeah I mean I'd imagine it can go on packed gravel/dirt fine... I really don't have an interest in modifying it at this point in time though.

It's a great primary rode bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
You'd be amazed how many places an R80RT can go!

It has a 19inch front wheel..it's only real limitation is ground clearance. just take it a bit easier.

Note also it only weight a bit more than the F800GS and I think less than the Tiger

Standard so call dual sport tires stock on F800/triumphs are really no better in traction than the old M88 or the like on R80s unless you really move to knobbys...which you could put on the R80 too
the original GS was a R80/100 jacked up just a bit. If memory serves you can move the fork tubes down(results in up) and inch or so and finding a bit longer rear shock will raise the rear ie old R100gs rear shock it think would be a bolt on.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I started out last year on a brand new KLR. I'm 5'10" and a newb at motorcycling in general. I had no problem with the bike on the street, but on gravel, I was a lot less comfortable on the bike. I simply didn't like the bike when off pavement. I sold it and bought a Yamaha XT250 which is about 100 lbs lighter and it's so much more fun to ride. I can take it off road on single track and also road riding isn't bad even though it's top speed is only 74 mph. Personally, I would recommend starting off with something like the XT or something similar. You'll learn a lot and if you outgrow it, you can get your money back on it and sell it quickly.