ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Clinto4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Rainbow Trail in late October?

Me and a buddy of mine are wanting to ride the Rainbow Trail in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains this year but the earliest we can get there is the last weekend in October. Is this a good idea or would it be better to wait until next Summer. We'll be coming from Northeast Texas. If it sounds good then we'd be glad to ride with whoever else wants to make the 100 miles.
Clinto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
It has snowed on the Sangre de Cristos twice in the last 10 days, most recently a few hours ago. The RBT probably doesn't have (much) snow on it now, but soon, soon...

The difficulty is the ground. Once it's frozen, riding on bare ground or snow-covered ground becomes difficult. Locals pick sections known to be easier and we ride Oct and even Nov. If you're gonna ride the whole dang thing, pick a better time. You could get lucky, but probably not.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,001
The Ramz know all!!

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Read this before you come on your ride:

Bergs Over the Rainbow
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820748

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Clinto4 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice. I have another question if you're still watching. We both ride KLR's. I noticed in the pictures from the link you sent they were riding smaller dirt bikes. Reckon that changes our chances?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinto4 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have another question if you're still watching. We both ride KLR's. I noticed in the pictures from the link you sent they were riding smaller dirt bikes. Reckon that changes our chances?
I tried to ride it with a KLR. I rode with Hayduke on his KLR, Ramz on a small dirtbike, Mountain Eagle on a KTM, and Flying Horse on a XR650. In the first 10 miles starting from the north, both Hayduke and myself broke our rear brake pedal. I tried to keep going and broke off my right footpeg as well, and had to bail. Both Hayduke and I also had raising links on our KLR's. It could probably be ridden on a KLR, but it would be tough.

Look at post 157 on this thread.

Pat Paulsen

ironbrewer screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 07:28 PM
Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Clinto4 OP
Adventurer

I don't understand why your brake pedal and foot peg broke on the trail. Was is just bad luck or the trail?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Quote:
I don't understand why your brake pedal and foot peg broke on the trail. Was is just bad luck or the trail?

Because much of the rainbow is on a sidehill, and KLR's are wide bikes. If you want to stay on the trail, and are heading horth to south, the right side of your bike is very close to the hill. It is very easy to hit a rock with your brake pedel or footpeg. If you are going south to north your left footpeg and shifter lever would be closer to the hill. The side hill is very steep in places. We broke our brake pedals in different places, but within a mile or 2 of each other. Its the geometry of the trail. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

Look at the pictures on the thread linkid to post 4 of this thread.

Pat Paulsen
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
The Ramz know all!!
+1 Ramz does know all....

Here's some pics from RMAR 2011, a friend did the few miles we rode on the trail on his DR650, he was not a happy camper....

Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,514
Quote:

Unless you are extremely large/strong/fit/young-stupid and/or AA level riders, I would not take a KLR on the Rainbow trail under the best conditions. Drop a big bike off the trail and it's likely to remain there until you can bring in reinforcements.

Yes, I have a KLR.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
I know it was asked on the GPS forum and got no answer but does any one have GPS tracks for Rainbow?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Its well marked, you shouldn't need them.

Make sure to take lots of pics.

Pat Paulsen

ironbrewer screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 03:42 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 484
And that was the easy part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
+1 Ramz does know all....

Here's some pics from RMAR 2011, a friend did the few miles we rode on the trail on his DR650, he was not a happy camper....

elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Unless you are extremely large/strong/fit/young-stupid and/or AA level riders, I would not take a KLR on the Rainbow trail under the best conditions. Drop a big bike off the trail and it's likely to remain there until you can bring in reinforcements.

Yes, I have a KLR.
Yep I agree , even a little bike slipping off the downside could be a real handful to get back up .I had to help get a 300 KTM up once and that was no fun !
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

Yes, I have a KLR.
This. In triplicate! But, there is a huge amount of DS fun in Salida that would still make for a wonderful trip on your KLR's. Personally, I think Salida as a base is better than excellent. Have at least one meal at the Country Kitchen next to the Super 8 motel.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote