ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Krang OP
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 346
Critique my Rockies ride, please?

Have a few buddies coming into town for a six day ride(Road Warriors).

Would love to get some experienced input on the last day or two of our trip.

I think I've put together a good trip through the mountains for the first few days, I'm just unsure where we should try and hit in Utah on the way back.

Anyways, appreciate any feedback from those who have been there, done that.

Thanks!

Krang screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 12:03 AM
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,819
What time of year?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Krang OP
Rides with hippies

july
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,230
all looks like fun.

day 1.
500 miles? sure hope you have a comfy & fast sport tourer as that's a big # on anything less. are these guys use to this much riding and being at colorado elevation? riding to pure exhaustion 12+ hrs on the very 1st day is gonna hurt someone & maybe in a serious way.
300-350 seems to be the sweet # to ride and stop and see thing along the way too.

between estes and loveland devil gulch/CR43 is more interesting than traffic infested 34.

day 1 & 2. why are you doing loops back home? why not pick a nice ride to steamboat and spend the night? and then go on from there. make it a real vacation and not coming back to your house. the adventure is leaving your house and not returning for a period of time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 06:41 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
eakins
Butler Maps

day 5
after leaving the grand caynon. take 89a vrs going through page (unless you plan on visiting antelope canyon)

in fact screw the south rim and all the tourist and take 98 > page (visit antelope) > 89 south > 89a > north rim > you might only make it to kanab for the night vs cedar city
Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

day 6. you're needing to be back in denver the very next day?
take 2 days, if possible.

...you obviously want to get deep into UT and visit the grand canyon.
redo your trip so you're not wasting miles, distance & time going back superior for the 1st 2 days and thus you can visit the grand canyon on the 4th day and ride ut 12 > 95 > moab > 128 on the 5th day. that way you can push on the 5th day so you're not so deep on the final day needing to get back to denver.

by the 4th and 5th day the group will be fully warmed up to crunching some miles.

eakins screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 06:42 PM
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I vote for the north rim of GC. No contest. Especially in July. Kanab is a nice little town with good places to eat.

Heading back home, hwy 12 and 24 to Hanksville, 95 to Blanding, then 128 out of Moab. I would say 46/90 out of LaSal Jct but that will send you to places you've probably already been. Kanab to Moab by this route would be a good day but wouldn't really leave any time to go into Bryce NP.

BUT, the only way you are going to get from the Kanab/Panguitch area to Denver in one day is to get on the interstate and haul ass all day. You'll need to shorten the Colo portion by a day to do the 12-24-95 route. Or add another day. Or two.

Its gonna be hot in southern UT in July. Drink lots of Gatorade. You'll cross a couple high points around Bryce and Boulder that will cool you off a little.

Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

I just realized you are doing loops the first few days. Thats weird but I'm sure you have your reasons. But you could easily get to Cortez in three days if you don't go back home every day, then get to the north rim on day 4 with an evening left, stay somewhere close like Jacob lake or the kaibab lodge/cabins right outside the boundary. Or there are tons of camping options. Day 5: Have breakfast in Kanab and ride to Moab by the 12-24-95 route.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I vote for the north rim of GC. No contest. Especially in July. Kanab is a nice little town with good places to eat.

Heading back home, hwy 12 and 24 to Hanksville, 95 to Blanding, then 128 out of Moab. I would say 46/90 out of LaSal Jct but that will send you to places you've probably already been. Kanab to Moab by this route would be a good day but wouldn't really leave any time to go into Bryce NP.

BUT, the only way you are going to get from the Kanab/Panguitch area to Denver in one day is to get on the interstate and haul ass all day. You'll need to shorten the Colo portion by a day to do the 12-24-95 route. Or add another day. Or two.

Its gonna be hot in southern UT in July. Drink lots of Gatorade. You'll cross a couple high points around Bryce and Boulder that will cool you off a little.

Al
+1 and throw in some cow tipping while you are at Gunnison.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Krang OP
Rides with hippies

Hey everyone, have been pretty busy and haven't gotten a chance to reply but have read all of your replies. I definitely appreciate the input from those who have been there. I'm working right now to trim the CO time down and give us two days from Grand Cayon to Denver metro. Hopefully spending the night in MOAB and then giving us a short day back to DEN.

We are all on big sport tourers. I'm on a Ninja 1000(non_R) and the worst-suited for this.

The first two days are odd as we've got a hand-full of other riders coming along who are just doing those days and aren't doing the rest. I'm going to plan the route so that the second day they can split off and head home and we'll continue, that there gives me several hours that I can shift everything forward which makes our UT part of the trip more comfortable.

I've driven past the Grand Canyon damn near a dozen times now and I've never stopped, but those were just pounding out miles for a purpose and not while on vacation. Is the north rim as beautiful and as scenic as the south? At the southernmost tip of 67 there's lodging. I was thinking about shooting to stay the night there. Thoughts?

I did have CR43 lined up. That's probably my favorite route. There's a little pull off there I just love - http://goo.gl/maps/KV23g . Spend a lot of time there, it's just peaceful.

And cow tipping sounds interesting, however I'll likely skip it. . . I have horrible luck with stuff like that.

Appreciate your feedback and the butler map I got for christmas that I've been jotting all this out on.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #11
kbob999
Red Rider

Oddometer: 130
Canyon info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang View Post
I've driven past the Grand Canyon damn near a dozen times now and I've never stopped, but those were just pounding out miles for a purpose and not while on vacation. Is the north rim as beautiful and as scenic as the south?
Due to the sun angle, the south side of the canyon is in shadow, so it is not as dramatic as viewing from the South Rim. However the North is laid back, still has great views, and not the zoo that the South is. It's an extra 100 miles just to get the view, but an interested track through some strange territory.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

The north rim will have many fewer people. That plateau that 67 runs on is 8-9000ft elev so it will be relatively cool. And it's wooded, big ponderosa woods right to the rim. The lodge at the north rim is nice. It's literally right on the edge. Those NP lodges fill up fast so book it ASAP. There is always the kaibob lodge a couple miles north of the park boundary too. While you are there be sure to take a ride out to cape royale.

Al
Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #13
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,513
Day 1 is doable, but get a really early start (hit the gates by 7am) into RMNP to avoid traffic.

What kind of bikes are you riding? Is any dirt acceptable? What is your fuel range?

If so, there county road cutoff from Rand to hwy 14 that will trim about 40 miles of boring pavement from your loop (you will miss Walden)

You should target being parked by sunset. The deer are a big problem when you get within a half hour of sunset.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Krang OP
Rides with hippies

Again, have to thank you all for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated. Taking a buddy on a long needed vacation with some other friends joining us day #1 and Day #2.

Updated the days in the first post. Cut out some stuff. Wont be able to see everything, but I think we'll have a great time( and a even better time if everyone makes it home safe ).

Thanks again everyone for their input.