ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 990
New OHV Trails in the San Bernardino NF!

The USFS is working on new trails in the Baldy Mesa area. This is your chance to put input in so your needs are considered.

Here is the cover letter: http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1147444...g%20letter.pdf

The meat: http://data.ecosystem-management.org...?project=13475

Submit comments, as many pro-OHV comments as possible are needed to counter anti-OHV groups!
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,372
It's a trap. Why close off all the good stuff and keep everyone on a few trails. Why can't they just leave shit alone? Not every little trail we ride on needs a sign saying its ok to ride here.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Non-designated trails were already closed. This is about creating new blessed trails. Ignore it if you like but don't cry when something you want to see isn't done or your needs aren't met.

The SBNF is pro-access.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,224
There is no gotcha on this one. We are adding 14 miles of new trail to make a loop instead of running around on fire roads. And making 9 miles of fire road permanetly green sticker legal. And moving staging out from under the trestles finally.

Open house this weekend if you wanna see the plan. Comments due by March 18. I know the folks in management in the SBNF and the green sticker grant guy in Sac approving it. All are ohv friendly people.

Support it or email your disagreement if you like. But you gotta show to know whats going on. They made the meeting next to the riding area on a Saturday in the late morning so you can sleep in and not complain about missing work.

Not sure how much more accomodating they could have been short of going door to door.

Mormon Rocks Fire Station
7601 Highway 138
Phelan, Ca. 92371
March 2 2013: 10:00-12:00

Guests are encouraged.

Jeff aka BOLT screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:22 PM
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
There is no gotcha on this one. We are adding 14 miles of new trail to make a loop instead of running around on fire roads. And making 9 miles of fire road permanetly green sticker legal. And moving staging out from under the trestles finally.

Open house this weekend if you wanna see the plan. Comments due by March 18. I know the folks in management in the SBNF and the green sticker grant guy in Sac approving it. All are ohv friendly people.

Support it or email your disagreement if you like. But you gotta show to know whats going on. They made the meeting next to the riding area on a Saturday in the late morning so you can sleep in and not complain about missing work.

Not sure how much more accomodating they could have been short of going door to door.

7601 Highway 138
Phelan, Ca. 92371
it's all good, but 50" wide? that is a road, not a trail...make it 12" wide and i'm in.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
it's all good, but 50" wide? that is a road, not a trail...make it 12" wide and i'm in.
They cut about 48 inches. Barely wide enough for an ATV. Not legal for Jeeps, SxS or other full size vehicles. This is a newb area. Easy access off the 15 freeway. It's all good.

We do have another project on top of the hill (Big Bear/Arrowhead) adding about 20 miles of DIRT BIKE ONLY TRAILS. This will connect forest legally to BLM legal trails and a loop within the forest system from Devils whole and beyond. This is the big one that I have been pounding on for years. We got $220,000 in grant money for this year to get started on it.

And we ain't building fences with it !

SBNF is ohv friendly. It would be helpful if a few dirt bike guys actually showed up at this Open House so they think there is actually a user group that wants new trails. If they sit at their little display table all alone, whats the point of helping us? They might as well go get a grant to cover over more user created trails.

As long as there is a green sticker fund, why not keep them busy doing our bidding ?

Guests are encouraged.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Off Limits
Thread killer

Quote:
They cut about 48 inches. Barely wide enough for an ATV. Not legal for Jeeps, SxS or other full size vehicles. This is a newb area. Easy access off the 15 freeway. It's all good.

We do have another project on top of the hill (Big Bear/Arrowhead) adding about 20 miles of DIRT BIKE ONLY TRAILS. This will connect forest legally to BLM legal trails and a loop within the forest system from Devils whole and beyond. This is the big one that I have been pounding on for years. We got $220,000 in grant money for this year to get started on it.

And we ain't building fences with it !

SBNF is ohv friendly. It would be helpful if a few dirt bike guys actually showed up at this Open House so they think there is actually a user group that wants new trails. If they sit at their little display table all alone, whats the point of helping us? They might as well go get a grant to cover over more user created trails.

As long as there is a green sticker fund, why not keep them busy doing our bidding ?

ok now were talking, my parents live in cedar glen and we ride devils hole all the time. it would be awesome if they would take the fences down around the coxey creek area. thats above devils hole on the desert side.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
ok now were talking, my parents live in cedar glen and we ride devils hole all the time. it would be awesome if they would take the fences down around the coxey creek area. thats above devils hole on the desert side.
Coxey Creek is part of the ROADLESS area forced on us by the Fed Gov. Protected area. We cross it at the top of Devils Hole. You've seen that small gravel pile there we toss over the creek crossing each year. Not much will change there. But beyond the crossing we will be trying to stitch new dirt bike only access to BLM and loop back into the forest. It shouldn't interfere with the outlaws. But for guys that wanna get off ugly fire roads and hit some more single track legally it's all good.

Guests are encouraged.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Quote:
SBNF is ohv friendly. It would be helpful if a few dirt bike guys actually showed up at this Open House so they think there is actually a user group that wants new trails.
This is is right there. I come from the Jeep world, I've only recently gotten into the D/S bike thing. I've seen the SBNF's Adopt-A-Trail system grow through volunteer labor. I've seen this directly lead toward keeping trails open (and re-opening trails that were closed for fire damage / etc.). You need to understand that opening up new trails is almost unheard of. The fact that the SBNF is opening trails for you is a major accomplishment.

In all these years there has not been a large amount of MC participation in the AAT system, I'd love to see this grow. If folks will show up to the meetings and get to know the forest staff I think you would ultimately see changes that you like in the forest.

Would this be a quick solution? No. It will take time to nurture those relationships and correct the tarnished reputation caused by careless riders. There is a reputation out there of MC riders being inconsiderate to others and not following the rules, this reputation can be fixed. There will always be assholes out there, let the stuffy 4x4 people see that not all of us are assholes (okay, most of us are assholes in our own way).

It's a lot like the saying Loud Pipes Risk Rights.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
They made the meeting next to the riding area on a Saturday in the late morning so you can sleep in and not complain about missing work.

7601 Highway 138
Phelan, Ca. 92371
I am planning to go. Hope to see some of you guys there

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
It's a trap. Why close off all the good stuff and keep everyone on a few trails. Why can't they just leave shit alone? Not every little trail we ride on needs a sign saying its ok to ride here.
Have you been living under a rock? EVERY national forest was required to do Travel Management Plans and it is now only legal to ride on designated Open routes, all others are closed and ticketable if found on them. Same is true for entire Western Mojave BLM area except for Glamas, Lucerne, Barstow, Spangler, etc Open areas.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,681
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 10:03 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,933
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entheogen View Post
I may show up to help out, but really, I'm an outlaw and don't give two shits about the system, I do it to help you guys, not me.
Shuuush... don't blow our cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Off Limits
Thread killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Have you been living under a rock? EVERY national forest was required to do Travel Management Plans and it is now only legal to ride on designated Open routes, all others are closed and ticketable if found on them. Same is true for entire Western Mojave BLM area except for Glamas, Lucerne, Barstow, Spangler, etc Open areas.
I'm sorry buddy, but my parents live in the national forest. I'm sure if they got a flyer in the mail or seen one posted up somewhere they would have let me know. It's not right that you have to drive an hour to go sit at some Ba Ba boring meeting. Isn't that what corva and blue ribbon coalition do? Doesn't the AMA send representatives to those meetings on our behalf? I mean c'mon, they know how many people ride and what real riders want. Glamis had a fucking police staition for crying out loud. Dove springs on thanksgiving, over the years, there's so many cops, it almost seams like more cops than riders. A DUI checkpoint on the aquaduct road from jawbone to there. A dirtbike has to share the trail with a horse or a hiker but god forbid a dirtbike goes on a horse or hiker trail. It's really ludicrous. If they wanna lock us out, that's fine. I'm sick of the bs. Civil disobedience seams
ms to be the only recourse left.

Off Limits screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 10:49 PM
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote