User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Dream Rider OP
Servant

Oddometer: 192
Wolfman luggage input

Thinking of getting rid of the Varios on my 2012 F650GS and going to wolfman bags. The Varios are ok, but looking for less weight. How about pluses and minuses help. Thanks
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
servdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Been thinking of doing the same mysel so it will be interesting to see what people say!
servdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I have the Wolfman racks and use the Expedition Dry bags. I got them in Black, while they come in Yellow as well. I am very happy with the system and have used them for TAT travel. They hold up well if you happen to go down and their being soft is a plus if you get stuck under them by some chance.
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
+ Soft bags wont break your leg when you fall

+ Light weight

+/- small size, means you take less shit you dont need

+ really reasy to "fix" if you get a hole

+ will act like a pillow when you crash and wont brake your subframe
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
It was a couple years ago I ordered a set of Expedition bags and mounts for my F650GS. After mounting I didn't like them and returned them. Once folded down and cinched with the straps they were quite secure. What I didn't like was how cumbersome it was going to be to open and close them, for instance to retrieve your cap or put it back in the bag. If you have an easy access tail or tank bag it wouldn't be such an issue. There was something about the appearance I didn't care for, I can't recall what. Maybe it was how the racks looked on the bike when the bags were off. I'm sure they will function well and if you fall all the way over they may just tear or scuff rather than break or dent like Vario's could.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,829
Love mine on my DR650. I followed the lead of some of my rider-buddies who use them and put small trash cans in them (split up the side to smush in to fit, then expand to give some rigidity to the soft bags.) and I'm amazed at how much they'll carry. Nothing gets wet in them, they stand up to the heat from the exhaust...I don't have anything negative to add!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
I also switched from hard bags to soft. No regrets. No problems with "security". Just a massive reduction in weight. :)

The only concern of mine is that they're not meant for a lot of localized weight. I suggest coming up with something clever if you're in the habit of packing a lot of tools and parts.
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
The soft bags are great. I use my wolfman duffel all the time traveling. I also use a Giant Loop bag for off-road trips which seems to be the lightest setup.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,584
You may be pleased to know that Wolfman has just introduced another design similar to the Expedition Dry bag, but larger. The bag itself isn't RF welded, so the outer skin isn't completely "dry," although I'm sure it is very moisture resistant. Giant Loop uses a similar construction method, and includes a tube of seam sealer with their products. The Wolfman system comes with dry bag liners and an improved stiffener system. They are considerably larger than the Expedition bags, and have a number of improvements such as additional D-rings for lashing gear externally.

They are available now. The thread in Vendors is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861498
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Shotgunchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Fucking awesome!

Did that help?

I have the expedition with lots of dirt miles and some spills, still in great shape & waterproof. Racks are strong, I'm bummed they don't make their racks anymore, they are very strong. My first rack was for KLR, I wised up & got a GS, then got lucky & scored some left over scratch n dents from Wolfman. I plan on buying more of their stuff in the future.

Shotgunchuck screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 04:52 PM
Shotgunchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
jbm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I'm a big fan of the Wolfman bags. Pack well very well, lightweight, won't trap your leg under a sharp edge, not going to put stress on the frame in a fall. I've been through full days of torrential downpours and these things are bone dry at camp.

I also think they look great and keep luggage weight closer to the bike - I don't have a second thought about catching these while squeezing through something tight. Work great with the Wolfman racks though I don't believe they make them anymore, but check the flea market here and they'll turn up. Takes 1 minute to put on and off.

I also like a locking hardcase on top, but that's just me and I don't really have a security concern with these bags - if you do, there are creative solutions for that too.

jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Kriega Overlander 60

I'm a big fan of softbags and I am sure Wolfman makes great products however, I opted for the Kriega Overlander 60 system and am quite pleased with it. I like how it mounts on a backboard to the pannier frame. The pannier frame I am using is from TouraTech. Been down on the bags several times and they held up well. With the locking system, the hold tight to the pannier frame too.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,500
EX505 Expedition Dry Saddle Bags (compared to Varios)

Plus

Narrow profile on bike
Pretty tough in a tipover
Currently comes with a plastic expander (garbage bin idea)
Better weight profile when in tighter trails (partly because you pack less)

Negative

Not as large, tough to pack as much (good and bad)
More difficult to get on and off the bike at night
Not as good with heavy items (ie tools)
More difficult to get stuff in and out
Less security (not a big deal for me)
Not as good with fragile items

I ordered Varios soon after buying the bike and had put about 30K miles on the bike with them on. The Varios were very nice on my trip to Alaska when I was on more of a touring trip. However after a couple tipovers the expanding function didn't work, and the final wreck broke the seam between the sections. I realized I needed some thing different.

I have done one trip with the Wolfman's and am learning. However they are not going to be as nice to throw a couple things in and go to the store. Also I'm going to have to change up my packing and get smaller compartment bags.

Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 AM   #14
Dorsland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Used those Wolfman bags on my 800GS and thought they were great. I agree it's slightly more hassle to access stuff in them while en route but I cured that by using a Wolfman tail bag to get to small odds and ends. Personally I hate a tank bag.

The Expedition Saddle Bags are waterproof, mount easily and very securely and stand a lot of abuse. Worked well for me.

Dorsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #15
Dorsland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I use their E12 Saddlebags and Enduro Duffle combined with the Enduro Carry All on my XR and I am really impressed by their stuff. It is well-made, durable, and looks good too.

Dorsland is offline   Reply With Quote