User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
Kaanan OP
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 588
EBC DRC Clutch KLR650, Anyone use?

I've been doing a lot of off roading with the 2008 KLR, and after 50k miles it's time for a new clutch.

Without doing much research, I went ahead and bought the EBC Dirt Racer Clutch.

I was measuring the old springs to the new springs, and noticed a big difference (to me at least) in spring size so I decided to do some research.

It seems there are conflicting reports. Some say they have used them successfully, but then there were a few of these...

"EBC Dirt Racer package is great for all of the plates but the springs were too long to work in my clutch and caused me a tone of grief!!"

I was wondering if anybody has successfully used the kit? I can't simply return it as my friction plates have been soaking in oil already.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Kaanan OP
Knee deep in snow.

Here's even more conflicting news.

"Looks like another long drawn out process. After contacting the place I purchased them, they contacted their distributor and got some answers.

Final verdict...they sent me the wrong kit. Not enough plates of either type, as i suspected. Despite the fact the web page has them listed for the KLR.....it appears that they in fact can not get the EBC dirt racer clutch kit fhe KLR.
In fact it is not clear if EBC even makes a kit for the KLR.

So i am back waiting for OEM parts from dealer......bummer."
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
KickStart1
Lurking,with intent

Oddometer: 191
I can not see why you need better, when the original clutch went 50K.Just run OEM and most likely you will not put 50K more on that bike before trading for a newer ride
KickStart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
Kaanan OP
Knee deep in snow.

I think oem was more $$$.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Kaanan OP
Knee deep in snow.

Another conflicting issue is some klr or thumper specific stores sell the EBC DRC kit. Then again some dont.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,353
If this is the EBC "Dirt Racer" clutch kit, I put one in my '99 KLR and ended up going back to OEM springs. Like you, I found it way cheaper than the OEM kit.
I found it way too hard of a lever pull for the old KLR.

IIRC the same kit part number was specified for the KX 500.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Kaanan OP
Knee deep in snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
If this is the EBC "Dirt Racer" clutch kit, I put one in my '99 KLR and ended up going back to OEM springs. Like you, I found it way cheaper than the OEM kit.
I found it way too hard of a lever pull for the old KLR.

IIRC the same kit part number was specified for the KX 500.
So the springs physically worked, you just didn't like how heavy the clutch lever was?

I can personally live with a heavy lever, but some stuff I've read make it sound like the springs are the wrong size and the clutch would seize up after the bike warmed up.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanan View Post
So the springs physically worked, you just didn't like how heavy the clutch lever was?

I can personally live with a heavy lever, but some stuff I've read make it sound like the springs are the wrong size and the clutch would seize up after the bike warmed up.
I certainly didn't have that problem.

The new OEM springs just work so well, it was a mistake for me to use the EBC springs.

That said, I replaced them because I didn't like them, not because they didn't work correctly.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
GMC327
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Pissed EBC Kit DRC168 springs absolutly do not work on 08 KLR

I have just finished trying to install this kit. Friction plates, steels and springs all measured out fine prior to install so i went ahead and did the work. When complete the clutch lost half of its travel. Tore back down. The problem: friction, and steel are good. Springs do not have enough compression room! they are long enough however, they only compress about 4mm once installed. This is not enough travel to allow clutch to disengage.

These heavy duty springs are made of either; thicker material or more coils per inch that does not allow enough compression! Fully compressed they are 23.3mm ish. The spring plate only has about 27.5mm of room for travel, leaving only about 4mm of travel once installed.

I bought my kit through bikebandit and tried to get them to figure it out. They eventually called EBC who was gracious enough to send a new kit. Same springs, WTF!

Going to put stock springs in once i get a set! Trash night and good kids made the old ones disappear.

When doing a clutch on a 2008 KLR, DO NOT use EBC springs!

GMC327 screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 11:41 AM
GMC327 is offline   Reply With Quote