ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Question Please school me about Bakersfield

The company I work for has a job opportunity in Bakersfield, CA and the regional manager called me saying that if I'm interested, he would give his approval on me.

It is not a guarantee that I would have the job, but having both my current regional manager and the possible future one vouching for my qualificationis is a great step.

My main concern is cost of living. I live now in NC and everyone always say how CA is expensive. looking online, Bakersville isn't THAT expensive.

so for the ones that are in the area, what do you think about this area? Is it a good place to live? pros, cons..

let's hear it

ricmachado screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 04:43 PM Reason: correct mispelled word
ricmachado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmachado View Post
The company I work for has a job opportunity in Bakersfield, CA and the regional manager called me saying that if I'm interested, he would give his approval on me.

It is not a guarantee that I would have the job, but having both my current regional manager and the possible future one vouching for my qualificationis is a great step.

My main concern is cost of leaving. I live now in NC and everyone always say how CA is expensive. looking online, Bakersville isn't THAT expensive.

so for ones that are in the area, what do you think about this area in A, is it a good place to live? pros, cons..

let's hear it
I have lived in Central California almost all of my life. I grew up in Shafter, a small farming town about 25 miles N/W of Bakersfield and have spent the past 18 years in Reedley, about 95 miles north of Bakersfield.

There are lots of pros/cons no matter where you live in the USA. One of the big PRO's about living in California is that you can ride 12 months of the year.

The most expensive housing in CA is along the Pacific Ocean. Bakersfield is about 130 miles from the ocean and most of the places to live in all of Central CA, from Bakersfield to Redding, are very reasonable, but that depends on your perspective.

Bakersfield is very close to the desert where some of the best off road winter riding is.

From Bakersfield, you can ride to whatever weather you want any time of the year. If you want to go to the snow, head for the mountains. If you are too hot in the summer, head for the ocean where it will be 68 degrees. If you want to see a major league football, basketball or baseball game, just head south to L.A.

If you want want a desert adventure, head east to the Mojave Preserve and the Mojave Trail.

Living in Central California from Bakersfield to the south to Redding to the north is like living in the hub of a wheel. There are great destinations in all directions that are only a short ride away.

I have ridden 60,000 miles all over the the western USA in the past 4 years and have traveled extensively to the east coast in past years and haven't found a better place to live.

There are many pros and cons no matter where you live depending on what is important to you. Decide what your priorities are and make your decision. just my 2 cents........
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Ok, let's see.

Motorcycle related, Brandon Cruz of "The Motorcycle Diaries" was born there. ............sorry, that's all I got for pro's and that's only because its motorcycle related.

Con's: you name it.........they got it. . It's the place you pass through to get anywhere else, and I mean, anywhere.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Show up at WARPED and bend Gerg's ear fer a while.

A buddie of mine moved to Bakersfield @ 20 years ago, grew up on the east coast and settled in and has lived in Western California since 1970??. I guess it can't to bad...

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I have lived in Central California almost all of my life. I grew up in Shafter, a small farming town about 25 miles N/W of Bakersfield and have spent the past 18 years in Reedley, about 95 miles north of Bakersfield.

There are lots of pros/cons no matter where you live in the USA. One of the big PRO's about living in California is that you can ride 12 months of the year.

The most expensive housing in CA is along the Pacific Ocean. Bakersfield is about 130 miles from the ocean and most of the places to live in all of Central CA, from Bakersfield to Redding, are very reasonable, but that depends on your perspective.

Bakersfield is very close to the desert where some of the best off road winter riding is.

From Bakersfield, you can ride to whatever weather you want any time of the year. If you want to go to the snow, head for the mountains. If you are too hot in the summer, head for the ocean where it will be 68 degrees. If you want to see a major league football, basketball or baseball game, just head south to L.A.

If you want want a desert adventure, head east to the Mojave Preserve and the Mojave Trail.

Living in Central California from Bakersfield to the south to Redding to the north is like living in the hub of a wheel. There are great destinations in all directions that are only a short ride away.

I have ridden 60,000 miles all over the the western USA in the past 4 years and have traveled extensively to the east coast in past years and haven't found a better place to live.

There are many pros and cons no matter where you live depending on what is important to you. Decide what your priorities are and make your decision. just my 2 cents........
So, what I'm reading is, if you want something/do something go to L.A., but don't live there because its too expensive. So, instead of living there, or the Bay Area, drive hundreds of miles at $4.15 gallon a few times a month to do something that's not related to cow roping, mud bogging or having sex with your sister/cousin/brother/mom.

Bakersfield Sucks! It's a simple choice between living in the crap hole of CA, or paying a slight bit more to be just as close to all of the great riding but actually be able to experience some culture, sports, good food, beaches, etc, without the drive.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,627
Bakersfield is a truck stop
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Look at it like this...it's a longer drive from NC to LA for some culture than from Bakersfield to LA.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,337
Head up the river...

If you take a trip up to the Kern river outside of Bakersfield you won't think twice about it. You'll enjoy it as long as you like the outdoors. It's a hop skip to Death Valley, or Solvang... pick your poison.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message self-destroyed...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 10:12 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 349
Bakersfield gets a worse reputation than it deserves. It does get hot in the summer but anywhere in the Central Valley does. There are also many winter days you can be comfortable all day in a tee shirt. There is a strong Country Western and Hispanic influence which is +/- depending on your likes. There is any kind of culture or social activity you may want, just not as sophisticated or stuffy as LA or the Bay Area. Its big enough you usually can find anything you need locally.

Driving through Bakersfield on the freeway it doesn't look like much. Get off on explore the area a little and it seems very different. There is fantastic riding both on and off road all around the area. My wife was born and raised in Bakersfield and I worked in Kern County for 12 years. The livestock people I worked with there are some of the nicest people I have ever worked with.

The biggest downsides I see are its reputation- its almost embarrassing to say you are from there (again- undeserved but its been the butt of jokes for so long it will probably always be regarded as a hick town by the really "hip" people). If you considerable yourself a liberal you will be in the minority, again +/- depending on your redneckness. I think the worse thing about the whole area is the air quality. There are mountains really close by and most days you can't even see them.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I haven't spent much time there but I think Hookalatch is probably right on. Bakersfield has a bad rep in more "sophisticated" parts of California, but Kern County is probably the most topographically diverse county in the State with resulting huge opportunities for outdoor activities and motorcycling. I live a couple of hundred miles away in a beautiful location near the ocean, and I like riding TO Kern County to enjoy the scenery and roads. And, unlike LA and the SF Bay Area, and even Sacramento, Bakersfield is not so huge that it takes 4 hours to get 100 miles out of town on a Friday evening.

-dman
dman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Bakersfield has a hockey team ! The Condors in the ECHL...

Make sure you take your lady on a "Bakersfield Date"

Take her out to Wasco and Shafter!

Can't be too bad, 'cept for the air
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,477
Floating down the kings river!! Best of times. You should be able to buy a pretty decent house for 150k
Old 02-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
thanks all for the input. I have never visited the west coast, but I love the change, so does the wife.

We are from Sao Paulo, Brazil, a city as big as NYC, she lived her whole life there till we moved to the US in 2001. I moved a lot in Brazil as well, going from as far south as Porto Alegre (in the southern most state) to Maceio in the Brazilian Northeast coast.

When we moved to the US in 2001, we started in Miami, FL, then moved to Maryville, Tn, then Orlando, FL and now we are in Mooresville (20 miles north of Charlotte, NC)

I don't care much to be in a very hispanic area, they don't bother me hehehehehe...

The thing that got my attention looking online was the air polution, is it really that bad?? is it polution or just very dry air??
ricmachado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmachado View Post
thanks all for the input. I have never visited the west coast, but I love the change, so does the wife.

The thing that got my attention looking online was the air polution, is it really that bad?? is it polution or just very dry air??
Bakersfield routinely scores anywhere from #3 to #1 as the worst air in the country. It isn't just dry air. Local polution is not all that bad, its the climate and geography that makes it so bad. Bakersfield sits in a bowl surrounded by mountains on three sides and all the crap in the air has little where else to go. The common temperature inversion layers just make it worse.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote