ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,103
There is no problem running US191 above Morenci to Springerville in April. I have done it many times. It will have sand and gravel on it but the snow will be banks along the side generally, and is kept open for mine employees going South to work. Do it during the day after the sun has had a chance to hit it as melt runs across it and takes a while to get the freeze off the road. The hi areas are Rose PK. and around Hannagan Meadows and it will be cold up there.
The OP should read "The What Next Wander Tour" in RR to see what this area looks like. Evomx971 rode this road in January with no problems. I do believe the OP is going a bridge too far for a 14 day trip however. These states are HUGE out here and take longer than you think to cross. Too bad CA 120 will be closed to Yosemite as it is a great road.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I did 8000 miles in 13 days last year with as many stops. I will be riding morning to night all 14 days. If i can't see everything i want in those days ill just have to come back a second time. I usually ride with no map and just see where the road takes me most of the time. This usually adds a day or two to my projected return date
wicked94s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked94s10 View Post
I did 8000 miles in 13 days last year with as many stops. I will be riding morning to night all 14 days. If i can't see everything i want in those days ill just have to come back a second time. I usually ride with no map and just see where the road takes me most of the time. This usually adds a day or two to my projected return date
That's pretty important when tackling a trip this ambitious in such a short span. It can be done but you've got to be pretty disciplined. Getting up at the crack of dawn to maximize daylight and places being open and having the foresight to schedule long stretches of highway at night to get from point A to B to chew up unwanted spans of land. If you did 8k in 13 days I'm sure you already know this.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
cyberdos
True Story Bro

AZ1
That route takes you through Phoenix. I like it because it includes Yarnell/Prescott forest and the whole 89A but it will add some really boring miles through Phoenix to the trip.

AZ2
If you want to avoid Phoenix then you head up from 191 and continue riding the rim through Payson.

I'm just giving you that for now for AZ because I have no idea where you'll be coming from the day you enter into AZ. I assume through Silver City since you'll be visiting Carlsbad.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like ill be taking 82, 70 to 191 that way i can pass through white sands
Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
sonoran
aint got time fo dat

Oddometer: 20,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
AZ1
That route takes you through Phoenix. I like it because it includes Yarnell/Prescott forest and the whole 89A but it will add some really boring miles through Phoenix to the trip.

AZ2
If you want to avoid Phoenix then you head up from 191 and continue riding the rim through Payson.

I'm just giving you that for now for AZ because I have no idea where you'll be coming from the day you enter into AZ. I assume through Silver City since you'll be visiting Carlsbad.
Rt 2 is the better route, plus you can do a short detour to the south rim of the GC which is far better than the skywalk thing.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 273
The Skywalk is about 5mins of entertainment for $$$$. Not to mention quite a few miles of dirt road to get there. And the road is an out-and-back.
The Dam tour is far more interesting.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
cyberdos
True Story Bro

I haven't heard of a single person who's gone there that has said anything good about it. What a scam.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #24
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have been to the dam but it was years ago before the new bridge, i AmAm going to try to go on the tour.

The money is not an issue, isn't vacation just a reason to blow money on pointless things?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok let me retract my last statement and say i don't mind wasting money but.... All the reviews bashed the place, i guess the skywalk is out. So what's a good overlook or viewing place to see the grand canyon
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I also put in my vacation today, i decided to go at the end of April instead of the beginning. Ill be leaving Columbus April 24th and I'm off till may 10th so ill have 17 days
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #27
cyberdos
True Story Bro

The north rim of the GC is cool because it is less traveled. If you're going to be visiting Antelope Canyon you might as well skip the south side of the GC and go through the north. I know you've got Yosemite in mind but from the GC there's always lower Utah, Zion, Bryce and Escalante. That, if you've never been, is IMO a must do.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #28
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,149
The North Rim will re-open for the 2013 season around May 15, 2013. You may need to view the Canyon from the South Rim - nothing wrong with that. If you do visit the South Rim I recomend coming in the east entrance on hwy 64 and making the first stop at Desert View (map).
FlagRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #29
750Volts!
Banned

Oddometer: 438
Just my Opinion, but if you were willing to spend the$$ on the glass shelf, then Havasupai falls is a part of the Grand Canyon not that many people get to see. The hike in and out are rough, so I suggest that you get a reservation at the lodge and take a helicopter in and out. The whole deal is not cheap but the photos and memories are worth it. The water falls and Colorado river are absolutely amazing down there. The food pretty much sucks but you don't go for that anyway.
http://www.havasupaifalls.net/lodge.html http://www.havasupaifalls.net/helicopter.html
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #30
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
The North Rim will re-open for the 2013 season around May 15, 2013. You may need to view the Canyon from the South Rim - nothing wrong with that. If you do visit the South Rim I recomend coming in the east entrance on hwy 64 and making the first stop at Desert View (map).
+1 on this. You can get some pretty good views at Desert View, and in my experience, it's usually not very crowded.

(And, by the way, you can generally get better views of the river from the south rim than from the north rim.)
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote