ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
The North Rim will re-open for the 2013 season around May 15, 2013. You may need to view the Canyon from the South Rim - nothing wrong with that. If you do visit the South Rim I recomend coming in the east entrance on hwy 64 and making the first stop at Desert View (map).
Damn I forgot about that. Very good recommendation about coming in from the East. Every time I visit the GC I stay at the Cameron Trading Post. Owned by Native Americans and they have nice clean rooms for reasonable prices.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I was thinking about going to death valley first then to Vegas and Hover dam so i think ill be going on the south side of the canyon. Im certainly going to look into the helicopter ride and maybe even the mule ride to the bottom
wicked94s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #33
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anyone know of any rental places where i could grab a gs or something for the day in death valley. I would love to spend one day out doing some trail exploring if at all possible.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #34
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 974
xploring

just got back from 7 days in dvalley. While a gs is a great bike, and a capable rider can get a gs most anywhere, it would definately be more fun on a smaller bike. There is some good asphalt around and through dvalley. the goooooood stuff is on gravel/sand. big bikes no likey sand much. little bikes are a hoot. The gravel/dirt/sand roads are really washboardy, I mean realllyyy washboardy and would get really old really fast on a big bike.
With that in mind, i still do not know of any bike rentals there. they do have jeep rentals if you would like to go that route for a day or two. Highly recomend atleast a day offroad some real goofy and cool stuff out there.
Almost all the fun loops off road have one area where a big bike by yourself wouldn't be a whole lot of fun. there are some out and backs that are very doable on a big bike and would need no help.
Just info, take it or leave it, I'm just a dumbass hickdork!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #35
wicked94s10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I considered a jeep and it might come down to that, it might also be nice to get one day off the bike. Thanks for the advice on the smaller bike.