User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Tankad OP
Pure Shenanigans

Oddometer: 87
Rear turn signals for a my project….

For the past few months I have been working on a project bike that is going to be my daily rider, but inspired by the race bikes for the late 60’s early 70’s. Since it will be a street bike and not a true race bike, running lights (Head & brake lights) and turn signals are required. I found the turn signals I am going to use on the front of the bike, but they will not work on the rear. The criteria I am shooting for with these rear turn signals are: LED, Not to big, I want the flashers to be noticeable, and something that can be blended into the bike or look era appropriate. I was thinking about blending it into the License plate or modifying the original turn signal stock by a few inches to make a real compact look. I am using a stainless steel 6” medium rear fender with a Lucas L564 tail light. Right now I was thinking about these two (Below), but I am not sure if the single LED will be noticeable, and I am not completely sold on the design of the other one is the direction I want to go….

Do you guys have any opinions or suggestions…? I know this really is ultimately up to personal preferences, but sometimes a different point of view helps greatly in making that final decision.

Thanks

http://www.viciouscycleworks.us/khxc/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=microo10&sid=41f15u00h1imos189kau66076g7yx0w3

http://autolumination.com/indicator.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Indicator-Davidson-Kawasaki-Scooter/dp/B005DV9HVY

Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I just installed THESE.

I especially liked how I was able to hook up my running lights and also brake lights in addition to the turn signals. The running lights are dimmer settings, the brake lights go bright yellow, and then if you ate breaking while turn signal is on, the turn signal light over rides the brake light. It is a pretty nice led turn signal IMO.

Maybe you could mount them on L brackets that the bolts holding your license plate on also go through? Or like I did, mount them in the hole in the frame just behind the rear shock top mounting point.
Sabre170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is a pic of mine

Old 04-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Soliecirc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Is there anything special you have to change on the bike, wiring or hardware wise, in order to switch from stock signals the LEDs recommended by sabre? I have tried reading more about it but don't know anything about the wiring, ie: a relay?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Sabre170
Gnarly Adventurer

Short answer....yes. An LED relay will do the trick for you. Load resistors in parallel would also do the trick.

Read more here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871628

A good discussion on this exact topic.