User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #106
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Dirk

I found the pushrods on your site but they are not in the online shop.
What is the price? The seem to come without the end fitted. Is this so the customer makes them the correct length for their motor or do they come assembled?
Mine need to be shorter than stock due to the piston/conrod combination I have.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #107
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
Dirk

I found the pushrods on your site but they are not in the online shop.
What is the price? The seem to come without the end fitted. Is this so the customer makes them the correct length for their motor or do they come assembled?
Mine need to be shorter than stock due to the piston/conrod combination I have.
That makes two of us. I am in the market right now for one OR two sets. Most American tuners are using 4130 pushrods. Some are using 4140 and a few other alloys but I am not running near the spring pressures they are. BUT we have longer pushrods than most of those engines. My 4130 rods did lower my valve float rpm a little I believe although I am not positive about that yet. You do have to be very cautious about those experiments. I have seen many an airhead bend a valve for them floating. I did over rev the crap out of it a month or so ago and nothing touched. Most all of the American race car guys are running 4130 pushrods two to three times heavier than they were ten or so years ago for more rigidity and power with very little effect on float rpm. My 4130 rods are twice as heavy as BMW steel rods and three times as heavy as their aluminum rods but, just as they said on the phone, it barely effected my float rpm. Right now I am guessing it's 300rpm lower but I had already raised it around 500rpm with titanium spring retainers.

By the way, BMW steel pushrods DO flex too. Not as much as their aluminum ones but they do. I looked at a pile of them a friend has and, sure enough, not all of them like with their aluminum rods but some of them showed the exact same tell tale signs of flexing in the exact same places as BMW's aluminum rods. My rod manufacturer says they couldn't get aluminum rods to not flex but, like I said earlier, they are running a lot more spring pressure.

supershaft screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 09:21 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #108
Carl

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss-Motorsport View Post

Carl - thanks for the tip !!! now try to find Sade Adu on youtube singing charish the day on her lovers life tour 2001...what grace and beauty combined with a package of coolness and sex, wow this is breathtaking !

Alternative from Sweden and a total different direction - band junip - song: line of fire

Keep on rocking in a free world....yours,

Dirk
Hi Dirk,

OK, first about sound. That is the sound of music and not BMW Twins...

Yes, Jaki Liebezeit does some stellar percussion. It is such a shame that Can, and others from your area, never toured much (or at all) here in the states. I'm familiar w/ Kraftwerk's background and their home base location being close to you. I saw them live in 1981. They had their Kling Klang studio system w/ them and they blew out the speakers (might have been house speakers). It would have been nice to hear Herr Schneider doing some of the electric guitar material from their earlier days, but that was not to happen. It was still lots of fun. I read where they do not like to travel because it is a waste of time. Now that so much can be done electronically while on the move one would think that is not the case.

So you tend to like the Zappster. Being from the states I was able to attend plenty of his live shows. Interesting enough the Grandmothers of Invention had a tour in the states last year. I caught one of their shows in a very nice theater. To me, they seemed to jam way more pleasing and intense than when they ever did with Frankie!

I'll give a spin to your latest music suggestions. I've heard of them and now need to venture further down the road.

So, now back to the BMW Twins sounds...

I figured so that you were CNC'ing the ports for precise duplication. I'm well versed on the one man band show and only two hands. Note: There was a request for pics of your end result. That's not from me. I respect when someone does their homework.

You commented about also CNC'ing seats/heads. Such as guides? Valves? Are you saying that is only way how you are able to get top performance or peak power from your engines? I get to play in some form or another w/ machinery from 50 years and older to state of the art machining centers on a just about a daily basis. There's plenty of not so good product that is done on high end equipment that primo golden oldy machines can do, and vice versa. I'm just curious if CNC has been the way you able to squeeze to the nth degree that extra power from head reconditioning. Or is it the 'one man two hands theory' need for CNC?

Nice to have you around. I'm sure there are many others that appreciate your technical knowledge w/out a 'my way or no way' approach.

Carl

p.s. Please place a cloth underneath the rod that is resting on the engine case cylinder bore that is on your website.

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #109
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
I, too am enjoying Dirk's posts. I couln't find a pic of the pushrods on the website. May we have some specs on the cams?

Am I the only one who has trouble navigating suppliers' websites-including my own?
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #110
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
I, too am enjoying Dirk's posts. I couln't find a pic of the pushrods on the website. May we have some specs on the cams?

Am I the only one who has trouble navigating suppliers' websites-including my own?
Here they are, bottom left of this page

http://www.edelweiss-motorsport.de/c...r/ventiltrieb/
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #111
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
I also find websites from Germany especially bad for online shopping. Even when they have an English translation.

follow the link to SHOP within the text on the home page. piccies of pushrods under valve gear I think. They are setup so you cut to size, which is obviously aimed at people who know what they are doing.

I like the way they approach fitting their version of the 1070 kit, the price includes fitting the kit to your engine including machining the squish band and a test of the engine!

A bit difficult to arrange if you are an ocean away.

The Dyno figures are not outlandish as they have been adjusted from RWHP to crankshaft, it would be interesting to know what the adjustment figure should be, but at 20% this brings the 90HP down to 72.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #112
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:

Hey wrench, what's your website?

Getting Cam specs, sheesh, they just don't give good information. The worst IMO being MI.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #113
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
thenickwackettgarage.com
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #114
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
Here they are, bottom left of this page

http://www.edelweiss-motorsport.de/c...r/ventiltrieb/
That's what I was referring to.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #115
supershaft
because I can

Quote:

Be careful asking for cam specs! That got me two weeks of grief a while back in a cam thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #116
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

OK, I switched to a more modern computer and I can link to the pushrods.
How much for a set Dirk?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #117
supershaft
because I can

What alloy too? Why use the long, stock style tips? Some might suggest that they are part of the problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #118
ontic

Oddometer: 1,043
We've swapped a lot of emails Dirk, so I was already very grateful for your time and advice, but let me join the others and say a big thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience here. This has been great reading.
Cheers,
Hans.
(P.S. I'll be in touch again by email once I am back in Australia to continue where we left off!)
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #119
Edelweiss-Motorsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Div.

Dear all,

There is a lot of work in front of us currently so once in a while it will take a moment to answer.

Hans - my pleasure !

Pommie John - Yes this picture is very old and the push rods you can see there are not what we use today. That time we where thinking it is a good idea to use the std. top ends because they where small in diameter and so generating space for our ratio rockers. Then we found out they break when the rods get stiff and so we turned away from this version. I talked to my webmaster this morning, he will put the new version including a current picture into the shop today or latest tomorrow.

The version you will see there is used for + fife years now and was build into approx 50 engines - they work to perfection and never fail. We can deliver them in over length with the steel ends loose or in accordance to your specs incl. the steel ends pressed in. We will not charge anything extra for this work.

Chasbmw - yes it is far away but since we live in the age of fed ex and ups people from around the world, even Japan, send us their heads and we prepare the the custom configured BBK piston, cylinder, conrod, cam and head gasket set for them including a squish band that works....

The cam that is included will also be the right one - very often our asymmetrical EM2V1 but this is not a one size fits all package it is tuned to what our customers are doing: enduro, street, sport or even race.

For that reason we also offer a very light weight two ring version that is generating some more corner clearance.

The cam will always fir to the exhaust that you are about to use.

Carl - yes cnc was the only way to generate that top level performance in a row. When doing ports and seats by hand you can not make one as good as the other. This was getting more and more transparent when the air upwards is getting more and more thin. When building engines in the 120 HP level all must be right. So when I was seeing the best ever numbers on my dyno - it is our blue race bike - I got this heads digitalized and then calculated into the cnc machining programm. In the meantime I do the same with all Porsche heads.

There was my Edelweiss Motorsport HP2 Sport in several magazines pulling + 150HP and rated as the strongest n.a. 4V boxer BMW on this planet, this one is also cnc ported by BMW, maybe someone knows that they are doing the same.

Working from my iPad there is no pictures available - but I will ask an employee to put some pictures of the cnc 2 V porting in here.

Bill - I would be happy to be helpful in any way !

Les Garten - please let me know what are the cam profiles that you want to be discussed ? If there is any experience on my side I will share all information with you !

Best reg.

Dirk
Edelweiss-Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #120
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss-Motorsport View Post

Les Garten - please let me know what are the cam profiles that you want to be discussed ? If there is any experience on my side I will share all information with you !
Hi Dirk,
Thanx for dropping in and letting us pick your brain! We have some talented people here, but a lot are like myself, amateurs, not pro wrenches, or designers. So this is a treat!

I'm interested in the Sport-Street type CAMs that most would be interested in, and how they differ in their character.

These would be the various 320 varaints, the 324(which I have in a box), and the other sport street offerings by Edelweiss and MI.

The other observance that a lot of folks would like answered is this:

If I buy a CAM from Web or Isky, or others, I get complete specs with the CAM and all the check points are elucidated and mapped out for me. Why is this not the operating procedure for Beemer Cam grinders?

Thanx for your contributions here!