User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
R75/5 Pinstripe info.

I have been in the process of refurbishing the beloved R75/5 to her original condition and since that required some paint I was wondering about the old stripes. Both fenders and the toaster tank had what I would call white pin striping on metallic green paint. After looking for quite some time I found "bmbikes.co.uk" and while helpful with paint code and colors I can't find any detail about the real color of the stripes. There is a page for schemes but not really any info. that helps me. They appeared just barely off white to me but that could have been that they were 40 years old and who really knows how much the elements had worked on them. I figured I may get some thoughts here as to what I should do about the REAL color they should be...any thoughts are welcome and appreciated!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
not sure what color white they were, but just remember, BMW factory stripes were never perfect, on all my early airheads, you can see where the brush ran dry and the pinstriper redipped and continued on. thick spots, thin spots, all leads to the character of the original hand brushed stripes.
in other words, less than perfect is perfect.
bikerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
not sure what color white they were, but just remember, BMW factory stripes were never perfect, on all my early airheads, you can see where the brush ran dry and the pinstriper redipped and continued on. thick spots, thin spots, all leads to the character of the original hand brushed stripes.
in other words, less than perfect is perfect.

Ditto that!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,300
Indeed. I don't remember the "color" of the white specified. It's always been a "neutral" white, not warm, not cool.

"Legend has it" that pinstriping was done by little old Czechoslovakian ladies. Each one is a work of art, and unique.

--Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK now I am wondering about the width of said stripes. Should have done more measuring before sanding them off but they seemed to vary in width and I admit I got frustrated with the calipers and just quit. My notes say about .125 average on the wide one and about .063 on the small one...does that sound about right on average?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,352
The women in the factory:
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
The above pic is a 100/7 same color as my first airhead, and as was the practice at the time the woman had signed her signature under the tank. They dont do things like that today.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
The women in the factory: [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee256/hansea/pinstriping.jpg[/snip]
Yeah, them little old Czechoslovakian ladies are HAWT. Best-kept secret in Berlin...

Woodly, I don't think the width and spacing was absolutely set. T'storms now, but tomorrow I'll trundle out to the shop and measure a /5 and /6 tank.

--Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
They dont do things like that today.
Now it's guys.. in India(?).. with Royal Enfields.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
ironjack63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
In the process of restoring 1981 R100RT, and am in middle of Kreem coating the tank. The bike sat in a storage shed for 7 to 10 years, so the tank had appreciable rust. After it is finished I figured I would probably have to repaint tank. I have some artistic ability, so I took picures and will attempt to put gold stripes back on tank when it is repainted by me. So what if it is not perfect. As someone pointed out, a little character in the painting of the stripes makes them perfect in my mind.
ironjack63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
For some years I was a draughtsman and therefore a pretty steady hand but I could never compete with that chap. Amazing. Two alternatives to hand painting are plastic 'stripes' and one of those striping tools with a tiny wheel. (Beugler?)
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

cool stuff fellas! And thanks for the help Bill!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
A few years back the wife unit started to do some pin striping. There's lots of really good books out there.
In the USA one-shot paint and Mack brushes where the tools of choice.

I'd get a parties tank and lay down some paint while practicing loading the brush.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
While I do my own work-paint & wrenching, I too am not a pinstriper. My project is the same bike a 1973 R75/5 toaster(no stripes on my tank) I bought "real stripe paint"(there are several brands) & a real striping brush. I'm using 3m striping tape-the kind that you pull out the pre- cut tape parts where you want your stripes and plan is to end each stripe just like a "real hand stripe" with the slight curvature of the brush stroke. Go to www.TCPglobal.com for a selection of the materials. They are also on ebay & I find they are cheaper on some autobody products than me making a trip to a supplier. Smartshoppers is a local place for you to look for AB supplies.
As already said the OEM stripes are variable-I have a parts bike , a project bike & one extra fender and the widths are all over the place-I'm doing 1/8"stripe/1/8"space/3/16"stripe, with placement on fenders only & similar to the original. The stick-on variety of stripes doesn't really have a choice thats close enough to the OEM widths to be realistic unless you pay for a custom stripe tape & then you are knocking on a hand job pricewise.
My paint is PPG base/clear. You can match that green with a trip to a good paint supply shop & avoid the cost of Glasurit or Colorite paints plus you'll gain economical repaint-ability.
Hello from the hills of KY! I'm 135 k east of the "ville".
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
While I do my own work-paint & wrenching, I too am not a pinstriper. My project is the same bike a 1973 R75/5 toaster(no stripes on my tank) I bought "real stripe paint"(there are several brands) & a real striping brush. I'm using 3m striping tape-the kind that you pull out the pre- cut tape parts where you want your stripes and plan is to end each stripe just like a "real hand stripe" with the slight curvature of the brush stroke. Go to TCPglobal.com for a selection of the materials.
As already said the OEM stripes are variable-I have a parts bike , a project bike & one extra fender and the widths are all over the place-I'm doing 1/8"stripe/1/8"space/3/16"stripe, with placement on fenders only & similar to the original.
My paint is PPG base/clear. You can match that green with a trip to a good paint supply shop & avoid the cost of Glasurit or Colorite paints plus you'll gain economical repaint-ability.
Hello from the hills of KY! I'm 135 k east of the "ville".
Excellent! Nice to see someone else reviving an old bike near the old homestead! I am most likely going to use the 3M tape part number 06314. That should be 1/8" stripe, 1/8" space and 1/16" stripe. Anyway, this is kinda fun! The parts are painted and now going to start working on the pin stripes! Hopefully I can take the old girl for a spin around the block some time soon!