Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
OK now I am wondering about the width of said stripes. Should have done more measuring before sanding them off but they seemed to vary in width and I admit I got frustrated with the calipers and just quit. My notes say about .125 average on the wide one and about .063 on the small one...does that sound about right on average?
I was told but never measured they were a 3mm stripe followed by a 2mm separation folowed by a 2mm stripe.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,044
Here in the pinstripe info for you:

On my 1973 /5 Toaster tank and front and rear fenders and a 1974 or 75 22 Liter tank, I get:

Outer Stripe: a nominal 4.0mm width
Center Space: varied between 3.3 and 4.3mm, I'd judge a nominal 3.0mm width
Inner Stripe: a nominal 2.0mm width

These are clearly hand-painted pinstripes with variation in width and greater variation in the center space. This is my "Sample of One", YMMV. But if I were Master of the Factory, I'd make the stripes 4-3-2...

--Bill
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
What you can do is put thin masking tape on, then hand-paint the stripes between the masking tape. Looks a little imperfect, in the perfect manner. I am going to do it on my car, to replace the crappy, 30 year old vinyl stripes the dealer stuck on when new.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,991
It's a fine line between being casually hand done and being messy.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Here in the pinstripe info for you:

On my 1973 /5 Toaster tank and front and rear fenders and a 1974 or 75 22 Liter tank, I get:

Outer Stripe: a nominal 4.0mm width
Center Space: varied between 3.3 and 4.3mm, I'd judge a nominal 3.0mm width
Inner Stripe: a nominal 2.0mm width

These are clearly hand-painted pinstripes with variation in width and greater variation in the center space. This is my "Sample of One", YMMV. But if I were Master of the Factory, I'd make the stripes 4-3-2...

--Bill
I have 2 front fenders & 3 rears and after measuring all of those stripes I decided to use 1/8stripe/1/8 space/3/16stripe as stated above they do vary a bunch. Lifting the tape as soon as they are brushed in is supposed to help prevent "tape edge" appearance and important to use real striping paint .
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,991
Back in the old days, it wasn't that long ago ya'know? My Taxi Cab had hand painted lettering and painted stripes. The stripes were not much like you want but they were painted under the main body color and when the tape was removed you got the stripe. If you are going to try and do something with tape to create the stripes get quality tape. 3M is the best usually. There is even a tape made and marketed now that is called, "No Tape Edge" tape.

The lettering was hand done and these guys were good. A few of them are still around I'm sure and if you could find any body who painted commercial vehicles in the 80's and most of the 90's you may have found somebody who can do this work. Of course the problem may be that he or she hasn't done this for twenty years or more and a lot of times I find more talk than performance from some of the mechanics and painters I've known. Just an idea, really.

I think I would be satisfied with the results of the machine striping. The Buegler Paint Stripper. Somebody else mentioned this and I also am not sure of the spelling but I think it's a better option maybe than tape or (heaven forbid) decals.

Good luck with it. Good stripping is worth some time and unfortunately it will usually cost some money too.

Please post the exact name and number of the color white (is it?) paint you end up with. And of course we want to see pictures.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah I found some 3M striping tape, bought it and tried like hell to make it work but after about an hour and a half I determined that all the small radius areas would be a problem as the inside of the radius wanted to bunch up and create a bump while the outside edge was stretching and I couldn't keep a constant radius. The lines would look more like a stop sign than a circle if I was gonna do it ...
I had a way out though...a buddy of mine knows a pretty well known local guy that is a striping genius as he does most all the hot rods in town. I caved and decided to pay him to do it. After all the work to this old bike I just couldn't bring myself to screw up the last little bit of paint work. I did however paint the bits in the garage and I think they look real good! I will post a few pics when I get the stuff back in a few days!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Did you use the pull out 3M tape or the single width tape? The one I have/plan to use has 1/16" pullouts. I practiced the other day while waiting on some bondo just to see if it was going to suit me and seemed ok-but time will tell! Feel free to PM me with the guys info-IF- he does a good job AND!if I can afford him.
I'll post my paint choice & what comes from the work I do...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The pre-cut stuff was what I had...came apart at the seams in the middle as I tried to make the radius...
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #26
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I'm going to practice more with that tape! I plan to base coat,stripe then clear the stripes and all so no time to mess around there. I forgot to look and see which striping paint I bought.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm sure you already know this but the factory put the stripes on last...I chose to do the same but will need to be weary of wearing them off
Old 02-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I checked my stripe paint -it's 1-Shot brand but I haven't used it so we'll see huh...
At 69 I will be long gone when my stripes need redone...
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #29
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I called Bob Taylor's shop in Lou,KY as you mentioned. As it turned out I sent him some measurements over the phone for your fenders. I read them off from caliper readings-widths,space between,space from edges,where they stop,etc.. When I mentioned the idea of my placing the stripes on the base coat & clearing over them he said I had the wrong paint as it had to be urethane striping paint or it wouldn't take the clear coat. He's reasonably priced but not close for me @ 135k one way(per your avatar I'm in the hills!) so time will tell if I do mine or have him . I'd like to see your results!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's funny! He told me that yesterday when I went to pick them up! HA! Small world huh? I'll try to get her together in the next few days and post up some pics! Looks great to me!