Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
SantaFeTrailer OP
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 307
XT 550 starts, then dies when choke off and won't restart

Hey guys-

I have an '82 XT550. It hadn't run in 7 years. I carefully cleaned up the carb and reinstalled (twice, actually - wasn't sure I got it clean the first time). The coil checked out bad, so I replaced it with an Emgo universal (one wire, vs. stock 2 wire, but stock coil has the black wire grounded, which is what I did with the replacement).

I had trouble starting it at first, but this morning it fired up fine, with choke on. Idled normally, and revved up OK. After I figured it was warm enough, I pulled back the choke and it died. No big deal, except now it won't restart.

I am starting to run out of ideas - any thoughts?

Anyone want to trade it for a 250?

Thanks!
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Fuel issue, either carb or tank. Did you drain the tank and put in fresh fuel? Is there an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb? Rust in the tank? Filters on the petcock clogged?

Between a 30 year old fuel tank and sitting for 7 years, I'd start with the fuel tank first. Drain, flush, and inspect. Rust in the tank? If there is, that will have to be addressed. Check the filters on the petcock. Then disconnect the fuel line going into the carb and turn on the petcock to make sure you have good fuel flow to the carb. If that all checks out, then the problem is in the carb itself. The jets in a carb are tiny and it doesn't take much to clog them. The fact that it runs with choke but not without is a good sign of a clogged jet. Also could be your float is stuck and not allowing more fuel into the carb. Try the float bowl drain and see if fuel comes out.

Lots of things to check and any one of them will stop it dead. The good part is most are really easy fixes you can do yourself and pretty cheap parts.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
SantaFeTrailer OP
Stromtrooper

Thanks for the tips, I will check into these.

The odd thing for me was that it wouldn't restart though - I am not too knowledgeable in the strange ways of carburetors.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
SantaFeTrailer OP
Stromtrooper

A little more info (I am home because the chimney guy is here, but in work clothes so I can't tear into it now).

If I kick it over a few times, throttle open, key off, then kick it with the key on, throttle closed it sounds like it wants to pop (this is what it was doing before it wouldn't start). So, sounds like it needs a little more fuel floating around?

The idle screw was set about 2 turns out when I took it apart. I reset it to 1.5 per spec that I read somewhere (the cap had been removed already). I didn't assume that it was right because it was a CA bike (I am at 7,400 feet), but maybe I should turn it out a little more?

Ether doesn't seem to make any difference.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
You pumped a lung full of rust filled water into the cylinder, the plug is now wet and likely covered in crap and quiet likely the carb is now full of crap again as well.

Drain and clean the fuel system, tank, petcock, carb. Put new fuel in.

Replace the plug with a new one (or if it's already new clean and dry it), try again.

It's also possible the decompressor is jammed. (unlikely but possible).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,318
Start by reading this. http://www.mikunipower.com/Manuals/VM_Manual.pdf

Most common problem is the smallest passages don't get cleaned, most newbs blissfully unaware they exist, where to look for them, cross drillings, etc. Not magic, simple physics (vacuum) and a bit of hardware.
Whenever cleaning a carb, you MUST verify flow in all passages... again for the back row, you MUST VERIFY FLOW in ALL PASSAGES! Use aerosol spray brake cleaner, and make sure it comes out AS EXPECTED!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
If the bike was setup for sea level and your over 7,000' you have some jetting to do.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
SantaFeTrailer OP
Stromtrooper

Clean tank and gas

Turned up pilot screw 1/2 turn

And, uh, set the idle so it would run when started with throttle off (too paranoid of kickbacks to hold it open when starting) and won't stall when choke is shut off. Started, ran around the 'hood, shut off and restarted. So far so good.

I was pretty sure I got all the little passages the first time, but that's why I took it apart again and used carb cleaner and compressed air.

Anyway, I am getting better at getting the carbs in and out,

and thanks for the tips.

EDIT: Yep, just needed the idle turned up (certainly, it did need all the cleanup as well), so I am good to go. Whooo hoo!

SantaFeTrailer screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 07:29 PM