Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Question Fort Nelson to Carmacks via the 4 in One Day?

Are we nuts (682 miles) or is this doable on BMW RTs?

I did the Tok, Chicken to Dawson on the RT a couple of years ago and it was fine. Would this be similar road conditions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Possible if the 4 was dry and packed, but it wouldn't leave time to enjoy any scenery. Not sure if you know or not but the 4 is dirt.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
The Dick
CFDVN/BRICK

Oddometer: 417
I would check your pants because de chit is either there and if not it must be cranial which is even more of a problem, this is not an interstate and could be very nasty as at any chosen moment be decided upon by the weather gods!
Hope you are very connected or just plain dumb and we get rid of yet another one.

Cheers
The Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
NorthernBoxer
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 548
Fort Nelson?... Carmacks?... the 4?... This sounds like a thread that should be in a Canadian sub-forum... If only there was one....

NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Laugh That Would Be a No Then

I guess when the teacher said there were no stupid questions, he was lying.

That is what I had suspected. We may try to space out the trip so that we are not biting off more than we can handle. At first I was not aware it was dirt but then found out that much of that day's route would be dirt, ergo the question.

Thanks again. Even with the wise cracks, this board continues to be a great resource.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
so a bit less smartass from a noob and one time visitor.........take the entire day, maybe 2, to ride the Campbell. Leave from Watson Lake and take your sweet ass time getting to Carmacks. The ride on the Campbell was one of the best parts for me, and do up and down South Canol Road (weather and being alone prevented this for me and I regret it). Actually, I wouldn't plan a single day in the north that covers much more than 300 miles.......otherwise you just ride to get somewhere instead of soaking it all in........ The Dick all but twisted my arm to ride the Campbell because I was worried about the weather.....I took his advice and am so glad I did.

The pic below was taken on the Campbell where at one point I crested this little rise and the vastness was the view and I realized that I had not seen another vehicle/person in almost 2 hours.............thats why we go there!!!

FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Good advice I think. I'm planning on two days from Watson Lake to Dawson for D2D but I doubt I'll do the Canol. It's a bitch to only have so little time to do so much! I'll be doing it on my Wee so no worries about dirt (or not many anyway.) But that said, most of my trans-canada trip will be in 300 or so mile days.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
The South Canol is nicer than the Campbell and shouldn't be missed.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
on my way home from Alaska last summer I spent a night in Fort Nelson. There was a neat inside/outside museum there. I only spent an hour at the museum, but could have spent a half day there. Hopefully you have a few minutes to check it out.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
Are we nuts (682 miles) or is this doable on BMW RTs?

I did the Tok, Chicken to Dawson on the RT a couple of years ago and it was fine. Would this be similar road conditions?

Thanks in advance.
i'll take a shot at the question...

(A)rearrange your itinerary a bit so that you don't stop/start at Ft. Nelson, since 2010, one of the hubs of the Horn River Shale Industrial Park. it never was a real good place to stop, and the riding gets better 150km west anyway. plan your stop for Toad River, Muncho Lake, Laird Hot Springs, or push through to Watson Lake. this puts you farther up the road, making the Campbell crossing available the next day if you are determined to keep this schedule. the Campbell was widened and straightened starting in 2007, and the road is usually in pretty good shape now. over 500km, but some chip surface, and the west end pretty fast.

the South Canol, while beautiful, can vary in road conditions, and i don't see you in there with the RT.

(B) forget the Alcan east of 37, and run the Cassier both ways. the Alcan from Ft. Nelson east is just an industrial corridor clogged with energy sector vehicles these days. you'll have a much better experience on the Cassier, and can drop into Hyder too.

get reservations if you plan to motel it on the Alcan, there's a lot of activity up there.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote