User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
twwhitey OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
GSA OEM Fog Light to Dually D2's conversion - Complete

I finished up my OEM fog light to Rigid Dually D2 conversion last night... for those interested in the same, my goal was a no cut/no tap straight up swap of the OEM fog lights to Dually D2 that would allow me to use the factory fog light switch AND easily put the OEM lights back on (in stock condition) should I ever want to trade in/sell (and keep the D2's for myself). There seemed to be a bunch of folks on this forum that have done it but not much on the order of "how" so I figured I'd post up photos/info for any mechanically challenged folks like myself. Basically you just need to solder a simple wiring harness and it's simple.

Bought a set of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-Male-Con...578911?vxp=mtr

And two of these http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...rnsextlopo.htm (you can also cut and use those wires off the wiring harness that ships with the Dually D2's.. I chose to keep it intact in case I ever need it or this didn't work...)

Cut & solder the female end of the H11 connector to the rigid industries extension (that connector is a Deutsch DT06-2S for the record, could probably buy those connectors and splice but I think you need some funky tools which I don't own)

Add some heat shrink and the protective cover and the hard part is done

Bought a set of Excel Cycle Werkes 1" bar mounts. BTW they are awesome and I HIGHLY recommend (they are a tad pricey though)
http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page875.htm

* Note I bought a pair of the Rigid Industries 1" horizontal bar mounts first (http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...al%20clamp.htm) and they do NOT clamp tight enough. GSA owners do NOT buy these for the crash bars.

From there it's mount, zip-tie and plug n' play.

And oh yeah those lights are BRIGHT. Put the OEM headlight and fog lights to shame. Plus they are rugged as hell... I'm leaving the old fog light bar on to serve as a bit more protection in the event of an off but you could probably pull them off if you wanted...
twwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
And a couple of these as well...

http://www.rigidindustries.com/D2-LE...ng-p/d2-dr.htm ???
These what you used?

Nice write up...should save somebody some time trying to locate the 'conversion' wiring.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 04:51 PM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Thanks for the write up. I am planning to use these on my GSA, although it came without fogs. I see you have the 6 light led's. Can you run these at night with your low beams without blinding traffic? I am trying to decide between the 4 and 6 light version.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
I did the same thing a few weeks ago, except I bought the light bar from cyclenutz. That thing is rock solid and bolts right up. I too used the OEM wiring that came one the bike. I bought the 4 light ones and they are bright enough for me. Also I have had no problems with oncoming traffic.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,512
I have those lights, wired them to the stock fog light switch. and if I leave the switch on they come on when I turn the key on then go right out. They almost flash. Now I turn them off when I shut the bike off. I don't want a surge to fry my lights.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
twwhitey OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeRace View Post
Thanks for the write up. I am planning to use these on my GSA, although it came without fogs. I see you have the 6 light led's. Can you run these at night with your low beams without blinding traffic? I am trying to decide between the 4 and 6 light version.

Yeah I went with the 6 LED light (the Dually D2's) in the "Driving" option. In retrospect these things are so bright it might be worth looking into perhaps (1) driving light and (1) wide for max coverage but at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with this setup. I will say it's probably unlikely I can run these in normal traffic so I'll be switching on & off as necessary. I've tried to angle them in such a way they aren't focused directly into oncoming traffic but they are still VERY bright, I'd expect to piss people off. Regardless my goal was more light in offroad and dark/desolate road situations so I'm cool w/ that... I may get a set of the Amber light covers that might help diffuse the light a bit so we'll see.

twwhitey screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 11:19 AM
Old 02-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhiteside View Post
Yeah I went with the 6 LED ligth (the Dually D2's) in the "Driving" option. In retrospect these things are so bright it might be worth looking into perhaps (1) driving light and (1) wide for max coverage but at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with this setup. I will say it's probably unlikely I can run these in normal traffic so I'll be switching on & off as necessary. I've tried to angle them in such a way they aren't focused directly into oncoming traffic but they are still VERY bright, I'd expect to piss people off. Regardless my goal was more light in offroad and dark/desolate road situations so I'm cool w/ that... I may get a set of the Amber light covers that might help diffuse the light a bit so we'll see.

I run these all the time, although i do not ride much after dark. Not many people seem to be bothered. I think people are becoming used to brighter lights with HID's, etc out there. One thing to consider is that I have mine mounted on the lower crash bar (BMW) so they are relatively low....the beauty of this is that when you pull up behind a cage, the lights are below their rear window so you are not blinding them in their mirrors.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
ghostryder
made it

Has anyone tried the spot/flood combo?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
VincitOmnia
Flyover Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Amber covers

Twhiteside - I mounted mine in exactly the same place, but kept the OEM fog lights to run in daylight. I've found that at night running them with the amber covers you still get plenty good visibility but aren't nearly so annoying to oncoming traffic. And in any kind of fog or rain the amber covers really seem to help.

VO
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
twwhitey OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincitOmnia View Post
Twhiteside - I mounted mine in exactly the same place, but kept the OEM fog lights to run in daylight. I've found that at night running them with the amber covers you still get plenty good visibility but aren't nearly so annoying to oncoming traffic. And in any kind of fog or rain the amber covers really seem to help.

VO
Right on - I've heard that the Amber covers really help in certain conditions (dust, fog, rain, etc.). A guy I ride with has them (although I believe he runs the 4 LED lights). Anyhow at $10 a piece it seems like a reasonable investment.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
Has anyone tried the spot/flood combo?
I have a couple of write-ups on here somewhere, in essence what I did was replace the factory floods with amber Duallys (4 light) and put a set of spot Dually D2's on and switched them with the higheam, the D2's, IMHO are too (is this the correct usage of too? I struggled with that lol) bright for use in oncoming traffic.

I used the same mounts as Twhiteside, and the picture Excel Cycle Werkes (Tom) uses on his website is a picture of my old '08. BTW Twhiteside, where did you find the connectors to plug into the exsiting BMW flood harness, I looked for months and thought they were unobtanium?

A few pics;

If anyone wants the OEM spots, PM me.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
ghostryder
made it

I had the spots come on the bike, and although they were ok I wanted something a bit tougher. So I had the wiring harness, connectors and switch installed already.
Oh yea...I have the factory lights and bar for sale as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,463
The engineer/designer for the aux lights on the GSA must have been a old GM guy. "If we design these with weak plastic mouting frames we can clean up on replacement part sales." I pulled mine off after the 3rd super glue back together incident. Those thing snapped off if you looked at them sideways.

You guys are crazy spending the bucks you are on the Rigid lights. Do some research and you can find the same factory in China that sells direct online. Got mine and spliced/wired them right into the OEM aux light harness. They work awesome and i'm all in for $60 including shipping.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
The engineer/designer for the aux lights on the GSA must have been a old GM guy. "If we design these with weak plastic mouting frames we can clean up on replacement part sales." I pulled mine off after the 3rd super glue back together incident. Those thing snapped off if you looked at them sideways.

You guys are crazy spending the bucks you are on the Rigid lights. Do some research and you can find the same factory in China that sells direct online. Got mine and spliced/wired them right into the OEM aux light harness. They work awesome and i'm all in for $60 including shipping.
To each his own, you can buy yours from China, got nothing against it, lived there for work for almost three years, I prefer to buy my lights From Kurt and his wife with lighting stock made, sold and warrented in the USA, I do not feel bad about spending my own money this way at all.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Rey View Post
To each his own, you can buy yours from China, got nothing against it, lived there for work for almost three years, I prefer to buy my lights From Kurt and his wife with lighting stock made, sold and warrented in the USA, I do not feel bad about spending my own money this way at all.
Not being independently wealthy, supporting 2 kids in college and having to work for a living; $60 vs $300 is a big deal for me. Guess I'm just a 99%'r that happens to commute to work on a GSA every day.

Got nothing against anyone spending their money, not like this is a government approved $685 hammer or anything but geez! Marketing and packaging sholdn't cost that much.

options brother, that's what makes the USA great

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote