User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Alaskajeff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
D2D 2013 impressions

So MY Dust to Dawson went like this: Left Palmer with Greg and (son) Isaac on Wednesday morning, had lunch at the Thai place (truck) in Glennallen VERY TASTY!! on to Tok, overnight at Vanessa's Eagle Claw with MANY others, great time around the grill (BURN BAN in effect kind of squashed the whole campfire session) but a good time, and good food were still had by all. Tok to Chicken, Chicken to Eagle, back from Eagle to Dawson for the festivities. I met riders from all over the world: some who were just starting their journey, some who had been on the road for a year and 61K kilometers, (Our long distance winner) one who rolled into Dawson just as the group pictures was taken has been traveling for the last FOUR YEARS and has logged over 275K kilometers and been to 74 countries!! I even met a 35 year Dawson resident, local miner that believe it or not was from the same small town in Upstate NY that I am from. GO FIGURE The poker run on Friday was WET and SLOPPY to say the least. a few riders went down in the many sections of goop, some turned around, but those who went took it all in stride and had a muddy blast Banquet/dinner was, as always great, from the fellowship to the food and drinks. A good time was had by all. MANY THANKS to ALL that worked to made it possible this year. Bike games and group photo followed by the ceremonial handing out of the decals and then the general BS sessions, bike ogling, etc.....Pack up and head out Saturday morning, Dawson to Tok for lunch at an AWESOME little Mexican take-out place right across the road from Fast Eddies. Then to the Gakona Roadhouse for the night, they were hosting a 1/2 way to Christmas party... there with a live band and festivities well into the early morning hours, it was pretty well attended by the local community and guests alike. Sunday morning up and off to Paxson and across the Denali Highway to Cantwell, gas up and with a stop at Miller's in Houston for some much needed refreshments and then make the final push back to Palmer Total miles around 1400. Memories to last a lifetime. Special thanks to the D2D crew (Dawson locals and everyone else) you know who you are, for your efforts this and every year. AKoffroader (Greg) for allowing me to tag along. I hope I didn't slow you down too much and MotoMikey for the last minute roommate help. Special prayers going out to Tim for a speedy recovery and the unfortunate V strom rider. Also heard of someone on a 650GS that overheated and possibly blew a topend gasket on the way home right outside of Gakona. Was getting AAA to haul the bike for him. Hoping it all worked out for you. BTW we saw the Vstrom in Tok on the way home sitting outside the garage right across from Fast Eddies. The front end/forks are trashed, but the rest of the bike is in surprisingly decent shape for being run over by a truck. Pictures to follow after I get some rest and when I can think straight enough to decide which ones to post. NEXT........
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Alaskajeff screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 12:45 AM
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,568
Any word on the the rider who reported to have crashed 10 miles outside of Chicken on the way back? Supposedly a female sport bike rider?!?!
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
revtech100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Any word on the the rider who reported to have crashed 10 miles outside of Chicken on the way back? Supposedly a female sport bike rider?!?!
A few minor injuries. She got a ride home from Tok in a truck. They were headed back to get her bike Sunday. She's sore and banged up but ok according to her dad.
2011 Kawasaki 110, 2013 Ural Gear Up
revtech100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
Also heard of someone on a 650GS that overheated and possibly blew a topend gasket on the way home right outside of Gakona. Was getting AAA to haul the bike for him. Hoping it all worked out for you.NEXT........
Yep, that was photog Jim Kohl. I'm sharing Jim's photo of his being towed by Ben H on his DRTDUC the 6mi back to the Mentasta Lodge (GREAT food and coffee by the way!). Shortly thereafter we saw AK Leather Doug go by in his big white van. Ben chased him down so they were able to cancel the AAA call. Jim and his bike came back to Anchorage in Doug's van.

AKDuc screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 11:58 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
That was WM's gf Pat. He posted this on http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Motorcycle-Riders/ :

"Just thought I would let everyone know that Pat had a litlte crash this weekend coming back from Dawson but thanks to all the help from fellow riders and good friends we are back at home and all is well. Pat is on the mend and sore but not out. A Special thanks to Cynthia (Rad Girl) and Rodger for there help at the crash and Randy wood for picking up her bike. The responders from Chicken And TOk were also really great. -- Thanks for all the concern and help from all - WM Lewis"
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Alaskajeff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
That was WM's gf Pat. He posted this on http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Motorcycle-Riders/ :

"Just thought I would let everyone know that Pat had a litlte crash this weekend coming back from Dawson but thanks to all the help from fellow riders and good friends we are back at home and all is well. Pat is on the mend and sore but not out. A Special thanks to Cynthia (Rad Girl) and Rodger for there help at the crash and Randy wood for picking up her bike. The responders from Chicken And TOk were also really great. -- Thanks for all the concern and help from all - WM Lewis"
Thanks for the update Mark. Glad she is on the mend.
2011 Verys ADV
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Yep, that was photog Jim Kohl. I'm sharing Jim's photo of his being towed by Ben H on his DRTDUC the 6mi back to the Mentasta Lodge (GREAT food and coffee by the way!). Shortly thereafter we saw AK Leather Doug go by in his big white van. Ben chased him down so they were able to cancel the AAA call. Jim and his bike came back to Anchorage in Doug's van.

1+

A public thanks to Doug from Alaska Leather for hauling one of my bikes back from last year's D2D as well.

He's a real stand up guy in my book.

Thanks again Doug!

Greg

P.S. My 4th D2D and the best one yet! Son and I had a blast, plus he won the poker run. Thanks to all who put this on.
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
UncleRandy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
VStrom Rider Crash-Steve is Ok

Met up with the VStrom Rider, Steve from FBX, on Thursday night at Eagle Claw campground. He was fine, although as AkJeff noted, his bike was not. Steve was very humbled by the whole event and told us that he knew he cheated a corner too close, at the same time an oncoming vehicle did the same. He told us he had a split second to try to and swerve, but couldn't, and decided to sacrifice the bike instead. I say good choice.
UncleRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
sounds like ya had a BLAASTT!!

i met a few riders at Thompson eagle claw campground in Tok this morning,
Chiefrider and his brother , and the Australian rider, didnt catch his name .
There's next year ..

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Alaskajeff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pictures as promised

A few of my favorite pictures from the trip. In no specific order.

A view from Gakona Roadhouse

On the way home

Wide open spaces

More perfect views

Denali Highway view

Denali in the background

Goofing around on the Susitna River bridge
http://s1068.photobucket.com/user/Al...b28e8.mp4.html

Whats left of a glacier at the headwaters of the Susitna

On our way back from Eagle, NOTE the Pannier cover on the top my gear. I found it coming up out of eagle. Returned to it's owner on the ferry heading into Dawson.

Obligatory Chicken photo

Heading into some rain on the TOW

Loaded up and ready to go at Thompson's Thursday morning

The gang at Thompson's!

Heading into the old Tok cutoff. We did it coming and going this year.

THE wall tent

The road goes on forever........

After the poker run in Dawson. Notice how soupy the main roads were. Imagine 3-5" of that stuff and you get what the conditions were on some stretches of the run were like

Waiting on the other side of the river for my riding partners

Waiting for the ferry to drop off the crew, and here she comes

Eagle rock

The Yukon river looked more like a lake down at the docks in Eagle.

Yup

It wouldn't be a ride without ROAD CONSTRUCTION!

Back home in Palmer, safe and sound in the ole' driveway.

Those are my pictures and I'm sticken to em' Hope you kike them.
2011 Verys ADV
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Yes, thank you for the photographic evidence.
I ran light, fast, and solo, capturing zero image.
With your help, I can show wife the 'ride'
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
1+

A public thanks to Doug from Alaska Leather for hauling one of my bikes back from last year's D2D as well.

He's a real stand up guy in my book.

Thanks again Doug!

Greg

P.S. My 4th D2D and the best one yet! Son and I had a blast, plus he won the poker run. Thanks to all who put this on.
Got Jim's F650GS back to Anchorage in one piece (I won't tell you how the book ends Jim) and there is no thanks needed guys. I bring the Van to Tok for just that reason. There has only benn one year that I have not brought a bike back with me. Just part of the service we provide at Alaska Leather. We Support the Sport. I am just glad that Barb always gives me the time off to go ride. going to try for the pre Dawson activities with Fighter next year.

Do love the pic of the Duc towing the BMW!
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR View Post
going to try for the pre Dawson activities with Fighter next year.
You sure your up for it Doug? we are hard on nwbies in our group you break down your on your own as ace said stay the hell out of my vacation "we'll send some back for you"
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Truth be told, that wasn't Jim's 1st tow of the 2013 D2D. I had the honor of dragging it for a bit with my GS800 Wednesday morning.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,315
wonder does he miss his KLR??
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote