ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,499
Mountians are dry

It was a great day for a ride yesterday, unfortunately the mtns around Abq are pretty dry already Nice change from all the dez riding we've been doing.

Ride 'em while you can.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Damn, I rode there in late January when I was down visiting some friends and it was covered then. Is there a lot of trail in that area? I mainly played on a set of big rock ledges coming out of a little gully thing because the backside was so snowy. Pretty much everything at the top of that last big hill in the video was covered and mucky.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,993
Mmmmmm.. good stuff there. Jealous.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Damn, I rode there in late January when I was down visiting some friends and it was covered then. Is there a lot of trail in that area? I mainly played on a set of big rock ledges coming out of a little gully thing because the backside was so snowy. Pretty much everything at the top of that last big hill in the video was covered and mucky.
There were patches of snow but they were few and far between. We rode some really knarly trails Carry (USFS) just put in, they were really nice tree covered, rocky imbedded, first gear side hill

Plenty of trails open out there, there's patches of mud we tried to skirt, the mud up there is wierd or elseI don't ride mud enough, it will pack up your knobs in about 10', When you exit the muddy area it's like riding on ice for another 20 feet, I nosed into the bushes more than once when the back wheel decided to go it's own way
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,542
Nice!

Wow, it is really dry out there. I noticed only two mtn bikers in the vid. was expecting to see more.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
It was a great day for a ride yesterday, unfortunately the mtns around Abq are pretty dry already Nice change from all the dez riding we've been doing.

Ride 'em while you can.
Good video, good music, good riding and fun terrain. Thanks RideFreak.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,554
Chris, that looks like pretty good fun and all, but before I come up there to ride could you guys sweep off some of those bigger rocks? I'm not riding a KTM like you rich NM guys.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
mtech1950
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
st

thad, we'll throw rose petals on the trail for you......
mtech1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtech1950 View Post
thad, we'll throw rose petals on the trail for you......
LOL!...I knew you were a gentleman of hospitality, Ev. I love roses.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 506
Yup kind of sad to have it this dry right now. I'm surprised I didn't run into you guys yesterday, really nice weather.Hope it don't last or we will be riding in the burned out match stick forest by May.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
Yup kind of sad to have it this dry right now. I'm surprised I didn't run into you guys yesterday, really nice weather.Hope it don't last or we will be riding in the burned out match stick forest by May.
If they let you ride.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
Another great vid, Chris - that's some great stuff.

The bicycle rider was a ways out there!
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Another great vid, Chris - that's some great stuff.

The bicycle rider was a ways out there!
Thanks, I waved at the guy and almost went into the trees
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Hey guys,

Trying to get an idea of what the high passes are looking like at this point. I dont want to start a new thread and this one seems recent. Common advice is to post in regionals a few months out, so here I am. Any ideas on when it might be a good time to explore the higher passes this year, or is it too soon to tell? Its seemingly been a pretty warm winter all over, but I dont know if that applies to the mountains/snowfall at all.

Im planning on a ride mainly focused on Moab, Colorado (mountains mostly), and then up to Alaska. Going to ride the TAT until CO, then divert south and back north to Moab. I figure ill explore there a few while I give CO passes a chance to thaw out, go to CO, then slab through Utah and into Nevada. Thoughts?

On a DR650... thanks for any info.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Hey guys,

Trying to get an idea of what the high passes are looking like at this point. I dont want to start a new thread and this one seems recent. Common advice is to post in regionals a few months out, so here I am. Any ideas on when it might be a good time to explore the higher passes this year, or is it too soon to tell? Its seemingly been a pretty warm winter all over, but I dont know if that applies to the mountains/snowfall at all.

Im planning on a ride mainly focused on Moab, Colorado (mountains mostly), and then up to Alaska. Going to ride the TAT until CO, then divert south and back north to Moab. I figure ill explore there a few while I give CO passes a chance to thaw out, go to CO, then slab through Utah and into Nevada. Thoughts?

On a DR650... thanks for any info.
Are you asking about dirt roads over passes? Presuming so its way too early to know when they've be rideable in CO. Storm moving in and significant snow predicted for today and through Thursday. The resorts and such have snow, but overall its been a very dry winter so far. Where I live just SE of Denver I've only shovelled once and it wasn't really needed and it was back in late November I think. So long ago I can't really remember when. All this can, and hopefully will, change in a short period of time. If we don't get snow, we won't have much water to drink and as previously mentioned, there will likely be huge fires. In many years, we'll get a big dump in the spring so I'd check back in about a month or so and see where we're at. Hopefully buried.....and frustrated that we can't be out riding.

dmac1 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 01:45 AM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote