ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #16
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 643
Yep...nice vid Chris. Dry as a bone though. 2nd mtn biker appeared to be on a 29er. Nice trail for both types of riding it seems.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #17
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1 View Post
Are you asking about dirt roads over passes? Presuming so its way too early to know when they've be rideable in CO. Storm moving in and significant snow predicted for today and through Thursday. The resorts and such have snow, but overall its been a very dry winter so far. Where I live just SE of Denver I've only shovelled once and it wasn't really needed and it was back in late November I think. So long ago I can't really remember when. All this can, and hopefully will, change in a short period of time. If we don't get snow, we won't have much water to drink and as previously mentioned, there will likely be huge fires. In many years, we'll get a big dump in the spring so I'd check back in about a month or so and see where we're at. Hopefully buried.....and frustrated that we can't be out riding.
Yeah, hopefully it does. I didnt mean to come off as wholly unconcerned with the plight of the region. When I lived in California we had the same problems- it would get too dry and then the fires would start. Sucks for visibility but even worse for people losing there homes and livelihood. It seems like we make the problem worse in some areas as we cosmetically plant trees and all that, and by us fighting off the fires we only make it that much riper for the next fire season.

Yeah, I was referring to dirt passes. Hopefully you guys get some rain/snow to wetten things up a bit. I might need to modify my plans to come through CO sooner (was coming after I hit AK) so I can see the place before the fires set in. Good luck out there..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 371
Chris - nice video as usual. Enjoyed it, thanks.

But it doesn't look like that out here anymore...

The view from my hot tub -

Damn good thing it finally snowed. It's been so dry out here this winter. This little bit of moisture counts but if we don't get significantly more this Spring then the trails will certainly be closed come May.

I was surprised to see those mountain bikers just standing aside. I know many who would cry foul if the moto's didn't clear off the trail for them. Just out of curiosity, what do you all think the proper etiquette is when you encounter other users along multi-use trail systems?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
Chris - nice video as usual. Enjoyed it, thanks.

But it doesn't look like that out here anymore...

The view from my hot tub -

Damn good thing it finally snowed. It's been so dry out here this winter. This little bit of moisture counts but if we don't get significantly more this Spring then the trails will certainly be closed come May.

I was surprised to see those mountain bikers just standing aside. I know many who would cry foul if the moto's didn't clear off the trail for them. Just out of curiosity, what do you all think the proper etiquette is when you encounter other users along multi-use trail systems?
Crappy view dude! Get out of the tub and go skiing!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what do you all think the proper etiquette is when you encounter other users along multi-use trail systems?
Supposed to be:
Hikers yield to horseys.
Mountainbikers yield to hikers and horse
Motos yield to everybody

In reality, I usually see it work out in reverse. Unless their the militant type, usually the hikers just move over and wave you by on a mountainbike.. and most everyone hears motos coming and gets the hell out of the way for their own safety.

Interesting note - in the multiuse trail management efforts I've been a part of, I've heard multiple times from the horse crowd in public forums that they prefer sharing with motos over mountainbikes, because motos are easy to hear coming and don't seem to spook the horses as much as the slower, jerkier moving bikes. The mtb crowd absolutely haaaates that.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #21
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Supposed to be:
Hikers yield to horseys.
Motos yield to everybody

In reality, I usually see it work out in reverse. Unless their the militant type, usually the hikers just move over and wave you by on a mountainbike.. and most everyone hears motos coming and gets the hell out of the way for their own safety.
I usually have the same observations too. I'm an avid mountainbiker also...big, long travel type bikes. I've always jumped out of the way ASAP when I heard a moto or ATV nearing. Despite etiquette, most people use some common sense that a vehicle moving at 10-30 mph in most cases might not be able to slow down before seeing a hiker or mtb'er depending on terrain. On my moto I always try to slow down and be courteous to the slower trail users as a rule, but sometimes you can't see through trees or around every single corner. Still, even then I try to be vigilant, as I don't want a head-on with a fellow moto rider or ATV pilot. I think over time, we've seen less attitude in most riding places from mountainbikers as there seems to be crossover participation in the two activities, and many mtb'ers are more extreme in their riding pursuits so as not to be such selfish pantywaists in their outlook to motos.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #22
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I usually have the same observations too. I'm an avid mountainbiker also...big, long travel type bikes. I've always jumped out of the way ASAP when I heard a moto or ATV nearing. Despite etiquette, most people use some common sense that a vehicle moving at 10-30 mph in most cases might not be able to slow down before seeing a hiker or mtb'er depending on terrain. On my moto I always try to slow down and be courteous to the slower trail users as a rule, but sometimes you can't see through trees or around every single corner. Still, even then I try to be vigilant, as I don't want a head-on with a fellow moto rider or ATV pilot. I think over time, we've seen less attitude in most riding places from mountainbikers as there seems to be crossover participation in the two activities, and many mtb'ers are more extreme in their riding pursuits so as not to be such selfish pantywaists in their outlook to motos.
Ah that closing line is great

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Supposed to be:
Hikers yield to horseys.
Motos yield to everybody

Interesting note - in the multiuse trail management efforts I've been a part of, I've heard multiple times from the horse crowd in public forums that they prefer sharing with motos over mountainbikes, because motos are easy to hear coming and don't seem to spook the horses as much as the slower, jerkier moving bikes. The mtb crowd absolutely haaaates that.
Yield, we don't need no stinkin yielders,
Usally I'm moving on the moto soo fast that at the last min I see this person standing off the side of the trail holding a bike, They are obviously enthralled with my style, grace and speed and are happy to give up the trail just to see it. As a concession to getting out of the way I always try to wave .

I spent 22 years in the Navy, they taught me early on, we don't yield to anybody. Yeah I'm an AH
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Yield, we don't need no stinkin yielders,
Usally I'm moving on the moto soo fast that at the last min I see this person standing off the side of the trail holding a bike, They are obviously enthralled with my style, grace and speed and are happy to give up the trail just to see it. As a concession to getting out of the way I always try to wave .

I spent 22 years in the Navy, they taught me early on, we don't yield to anybody. Yeah I'm an AH
Well, that now explains:

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Well, that now explains:

He was gunnin for me, that was purely a "defensive" move
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #26
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 371
Ride Freak - you're a funkin squid? Please tell me that you were at least a bubble head and not on one of them targets.
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
RideFreak OP
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Ride Freak - you're a funkin squid? Please tell me that you were at least a bubble head and not on one of them targets.
Actually nether, can't tell you about it though, I'd have to .....