ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,385

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
There you go, pretty much still looks like this. It's ugly let's face it OK. If you live there I am sorry, but admit, it's ugly.

people bemoan Los Angeles. Nobody I know lives in LA. We live 35 miles north east in the foothills. It's nice.

Be real guys. This person is looking for information. Tell the truth. Bakersfield is ugly. That's all you need to know. If your business is in town and you don't mind driving 50 miles, sure it's nice....just like downtown LA. Nobody we know lives there.

Spend a grand or so on travel, come and have a look, rent a car.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #33
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Nothing like showing signs from the 50's or 60's to show what Bakerfield is like lol. As far as ugly, well I don't know, personally I think areas with nothing but high rises & superslabs are pretty ugly. All depends on what you look for. To give you an idea of what Bakersfield looks like go to googlemaps & type in 3412 Ashe rd for an address. That is where I live. Basically the places to avoid are east of hwy 99 & south of hwy 178. Also ,depending on your lifestyle I'd recommend staying out of southern oildale which is basically south of Olive drive east of the 99. To find Olive look on the map & find where the 204 comes into 99, Olive is the next offramp. There are good areas in these areas I mentioned but most of the bad is in that area lol.
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #34
jmabbott888
Adventurer

BTW, that sign in the pic is about 8 miles south of the most southern end of town now, when I moved here in 87 it was about 10 or 11 miles south of town & when it was up was about 15 miles south of town. Look on a map where union Ave meets up with hwy 99 to the south..... it's still in farm fields today. BTW, union never meets up with 99 on the north. Please take a look at googlemaps to see what Bakersfield looks like, most think its what you see at the truckstop off I-5, sorry but thats closer to Shafter & Buttonwillow than Bakersfield. Bakersfield hasn't looked like the pics of the signs since I can remember & I've lived here since 87 & been coming here since the early 70's lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
That's funny , so is this where I may get myself into??

The company I work for does cleaning and maintenance at different facilities (schools, colleges, malls and hospitals,) here in the east coast, there is not much going on and very few options to grow, , but they just got a lot of new accounts in the CA and west US, although the position they are asking me isn't much of a promotion, it would place me in the healthcare division, and they are getting 26 new accounts in CA this year and there are talks about a few more in the next 2 years. so I would have to move now to bakersfield to get my feet in the door, with the hopes that they realy like my work to get me an advancement for the near future.

The wife likes the change, no matter where, she actually would like to be in the drier climate, the daughter will be good anywhere we go. We are not rednecks, but are not fancy people either, a picnic at the smokies natural park is a fun weekend, having a place I can go ride with the daugther, a place the wife can go spend money . We'll be happy.

I did 3 interviews over the phone, the recruiter, the regional vice president and the contract director, the last one was today. they told me that if they decide to give me a shot they will fly me there for a on site interview and a small tour of what I'm getting into.

After all we will talk the most important at this point, $$$$$, since this is the only thing left other than we all meet face to face and like each other.

Some days I wake up and think I'm making the biggest mistake of my life, others that it will be great...

Thank you all for the imput, please keep them comming and if there are any pictures of the city maybe from the 80's please post it up...

Also, correction, I just saw that I wrote the wrong name in the topic start, maybe it is a southern thig, and after living in so many "ville" I just got used and wrote Bakersville, intead of Bakersfield...
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #36
jmabbott888
Adventurer

If you get out here let me know when lol. As for pictures of the 80's in Bakersfield...... lets just say most of them are incriminating lol. To much partying as a kid lol. For picnics in the mountains drive less than an hour & you can be up in them, if you want a lunch on the river, about 20-30 minutes, the beach is 2-2 1/2 hours drive. Forgot to ask, where abouts in NC are you?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm in center NC, just north of Charlotte. same distances, if I want go to mountains ski, 2 1/2 hour drive to mountains, beach 2 1/2 hour and I'm in Myrtle Beach, great ride 2 1/2 hour and I'm in the Dragon, Blue Ridge, etc...

Charlotte is big enough for me and the family, still we live in a small town 25 miles north of it. want night life, drive 25 miles to Charlotte, want piece and quiet, stay home...

Today during the interview they mentioned about flying me there, I'll wait the confirmation and let you know, the wife works at a hotel, so I may just get the whole family together and spend 2 - 3 days there before making the final decision...

Mid Career sucks... wish I could open a bike shop somewhere..
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #38
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Go for it, you can always go back.
I made a similar life/career change 6 months ago. Namely, getting the hell out of LA, and its paid off all aces so far especially on the career and quality of life end.
YMMV

Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #39
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
I was raised in Fresno but fled the valley for 25 years. I came back to fresno but with the hour drive decided to live the Sierras. A couple things I want to touch on. First off its California .. second its California .. You can commute from up in tehatchapi or Fraizier park if you would like to live where it snows once in a while. During the summer its hot but there are rivers and conditioning. Los Angeles and Ventura or Santa Barbara are only a couple hours. Vegas is 5 ... San Fransisco is 5. The place is actually affordable so you can buy a house as opposed to a condo or apartment living. You wont be sorry... its CALIFORNIA
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
first off its california .. Second its california .. Its california
Old 02-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #42
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 214
My first impression of Bakersfield was that it was one giant suburb. My second was in the grocery store, which seemed to be filled with junk food and only had a token produce section. This town is dirty, ugly, depressing, and stifling. The highways are littered with trash.
Instead of living in Bakersfield and going up to the mountains for fun, why don't you look for a place in the mountains and commute down. I have a buddy who lives near Lake Isabella and that town is much better.
Good air quality is priceless. It isn't worth living there if you pay with your health.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #43
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowDuer View Post
My first impression of Bakersfield was that it was one giant suburb. My second was in the grocery store, which seemed to be filled with junk food and only had a token produce section. This town is dirty, ugly, depressing, and stifling. The highways are littered with trash.
Instead of living in Bakersfield and going up to the mountains for fun, why don't you look for a place in the mountains and commute down. I have a buddy who lives near Lake Isabella and that town is much better.
Good air quality is priceless. It isn't worth living there if you pay with your health.
That is an option, and kind of what I do right now. when I came to Charlotte NC from Florida, I didn't really liked the area, so I found a place in Mooresville, small town near the lake Norman and commute just over 20 miles south to work.

In Florida, I used to commute almost 30 miles each way, to work in orlando and live in Lake Mary area, again, a much nicer area.

If the job works, what would be the best areas to live? I just cannot tell what area of Bakersfield the job is as I don't remember the name of the hospital.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #44
jmabbott888
Adventurer

As far as hospitals go most are in the middle of town, you'd want to commute to them lol. There is one on the west side (Mercy SouthWest) which is over by me. If you want to live in the mountains you will have about an hour commute, lebec is about 40 miles, Frazier is a little farther at 45 miles. To the east is Lake Isabella, about 42 miles but you gotta drive the canyon (twisty rd, mountain on one side, river on the other) so it's about an hour also. To the west is Taft, (latest school shooting) small town, lots of old residents but cheaper than even Bakersfield. To the north is Delano or Shafter, can you say Habla Espanol? LOL. Taft, Delano & Shafter are all about 1/2 hour drive. The nice thing about Taft, as far as dualsports goes is that you just head over the Temblor range (outskirts of Taft) & you are in the Carrizo Plains. Search Carrizo plains on this site & you will see what it looks like.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
jmabbott888
Adventurer

As far as the best places in Bakersfield to live, I'd say in the SW part of town, North east by Bakersfield College, Rosedale area which is basically Northwest or Way North in Oildale, north of the China grade loop. There are other areas but this is a basic idea. Also I forgot to mention Tehachapi as a town in the mountains. It is south east of Bakersfield about 40 miles & about a 45 minute drive. Only problem with Tehachapi, Frazier or Lebec is you will get snowed in for a day or two each year on average & even in the outlying areas of Lake Isabella it can happen too, or the canyon will be closed for rocks or accidents but there are longer round about ways to get home if ya need to lol. I work with a few guys that life in the sourounding communities around Lake Isabella & are at work 98% of the time.