ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #46
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thanks, I'm now waiting on the company to make a decision, I should know something in a week or two.

If we decide to go, I'll PM you and maybe you can show me around.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabbott888 View Post
As far as the best places in Bakersfield to live, I'd say in the SW part of town, North east by Bakersfield College, Rosedale area which is basically Northwest or Way North in Oildale, north of the China grade loop. There are other areas but this is a basic idea. Also I forgot to mention Tehachapi as a town in the mountains. It is south east of Bakersfield about 40 miles & about a 45 minute drive. Only problem with Tehachapi, Frazier or Lebec is you will get snowed in for a day or two each year on average & even in the outlying areas of Lake Isabella it can happen too, or the canyon will be closed for rocks or accidents but there are longer round about ways to get home if ya need to lol. I work with a few guys that life in the sourounding communities around Lake Isabella & are at work 98% of the time.
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #47
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

Valley Fever is some kind of bacteria that lives in the soil, and gets inhaled when wind kicks up the dust. If you are healthy, it likely won't cause any problems. If you are prone to pneumonia, you may find yourself with an everlasting cough.
Just a small correction....Valley fever is caused by a fungus. It's important that ADV riders have the correct microbiological information!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #48
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
I just saw this.
I moved to Bakersfield in 2003 from Ventura Ca when the company I work for closed the building I worked in. I love the area, the people are nice and there are a lot of great things to do this is a beautiful place to live. I have not seen fog in the last 10 years. Some of the best motorcycle riding you will find.
I live in the North-west and can show you around if you want.
P.M me when you get closer.
20 mins from my house.

30 mins Buttonwillow raceway

1 hour Willow Springs raceway

And the new NASCAR track is 10 mins.
My house and Abby
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Sorry, gotta hi-jack for a minute..... Toyanvil, where was that 3rd pic taken? looks like a nice place to ride?
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #50
Toyanvil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
155 on the way to Woody, we ride up to Hassano's to eat, Great food.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved. Hell, some of the places I’ve been there weren’t even roads!
Toyanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #51
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Great, loved the pictures, Looks like a dual sport will be in my future again, I had a Ulysses and a KLR, now I have a sportster with a hack, maybe a used KLR for the dirty will be nice...
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #52
750Volts!
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Like Eyes Shut mentioned, a really cool benefit of living in the SW Desert are the cool fungi that inhabit this place. After being here for a short time nearly everyone gets one of the fungi. Coccidioidomycosis is the most common but there are thousands of variants that live here forever. At age 15 I had "Valley Fever" it scarred my left lung and left me with a reduced lung capacity for life. At age 40 I got it again (variant) and it attacked my heart. My heart swelled 2.5 times its normal size and after I was brought back from the dead, they took 22lbs of water out of my lungs and a low sodium diet and a defibrillator I am nearly as healthy as a 70 year old man. But, no worries it only happens to 1 in 10,000 people. I might be a little bitter though, so check the medical info they never lie....
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #53
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Bachtel View Post
...You could live in Maricopa if you wanted to.
I did work at a jobsite in Maricopa once. We showed up, did what we could on day one and asked the local guys what hotel we should stay in. Their response was to drive all the way up to Bakersfield because there was only one motel in Maricopa and the alley behind it was cleaner and safer.

-Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #54
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,496
I grew up in Bakersfield and Tehachapi. My wife was born there, my mother was also born there. My mother and father-in-law both still live there. Both of my grandparents lived and died there.

It's a matter of perspective. Bakersfield can be a real sh*t hole, but I've had some great times there. I graduated high school and went to the university there. Bakersfield has a small town aspect, real old school history and a great Basque culture. But, it's gotten pretty big-city with plenty of urban sprawl, fast growth. It's got a significant gang population. I wouldn't want to live there personally, but it has a lot to offer. As others have said, it's relatively close to a lot of things, desert, ocean; however, it's neither of those things. Bakersfield is like someone else said, it's a hub. You can get to a lot of places from there, but there isn't really much there (to do), it's everywhere else but Bakersfield. Although, every store or restaurant chain is in Bakersfield, and if you or your wife want to go back to school there is a community college and university.

When you get out there make sure you look through the newspaper (Californian) and check out the housing. Also, use an online map before you get there so you can see some of the surrounding areas. Hart Park, Tehachapi aren't too far away, but it's a significant drive to have to do every day.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #55
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname View Post
So, what I'm reading is, if you want something/do something go to L.A., but don't live there because its too expensive. So, instead of living there, or the Bay Area, drive hundreds of miles at $4.15 gallon a few times a month to do something that's not related to cow roping, mud bogging or having sex with your sister/cousin/brother/mom.

Bakersfield Sucks! It's a simple choice between living in the crap hole of CA, or paying a slight bit more to be just as close to all of the great riding but actually be able to experience some culture, sports, good food, beaches, etc, without the drive.
If only Bakersfield were as great as LA and the Bay Area. Oh the humanity!