User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
UndeadJed OP
Lurker

Oddometer: 12
Essential tools needed?

Hello all. I'm in the planning stage of my 75R/6 cafe protect. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a specialty tools list. What I have so far is your basic metric/standard wrench socket sets. Modest amount of screwdrivers, torques, and allens. I have a exhaust nut wrench on order. What else might I need?
UndeadJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Depends on what you want/need to do?

Steering head bearings - see a recent post here on that.

Gearbox bearing replacement?

Big end bearing replacement?

Alternator rotor replacement?

You have the basics covered with your list - I'd throw in a Digital Multi Meter for the electrics. But the above have various special tools that are either required or make life easier. But if you don't need to do that kind of work then you don't need those tools. Buy them when/if you need them?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,339
Depends how deep you want to go. If you stay out of the bottom end, trans, and final drive, the only special tools you'll need are a alternator rotor puller, exhaust nut wrench, steering head bearing puller, and a socket with thin enough walls to pull your swingarm pins.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 771
Like Warin suggested, start off with the basic tools on your list. Buy or create special tools as you need them. Don't be afraid to modify tools to suit your needs, they can be replaced pretty easily. If a wrench is too fat to get in where you need, grind it down. The next time you're at Sears, get another wrench. I often have old junky tools like wrenches tucked away for modifying when a need arises.

Special tools are for special times and special needs. When the need arises, buy or borrow them at that point.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
UndeadJed OP
Lurker

Thanks all. I work in the parts department of a on highway off highway equipment shop. Those guys have all types of specialty tools for a peticular nut or gear or bearing.
Well the exhaust wrench was prompted by the ugliness of an Avon Fairing. Upon plenty of reading if the nuts come off easy (fingers crossed) when reinstalled use a copper based anti seize
There does appear to be a wiring issue so the digital multi meter makes the list.
I'll take your advice and get the "common" tools. Since the bike is running and still new to me I'll just take the time to learn how it feels and what "seems off"
Thanks again for the help and the list.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,377
This is the tool for removing the alternator rotor. You will someday need this tool. You can order this anytime you are getting several other things. This one is cheap.

This is the on board tool kit wrench for tightening the steering center nut. It will also usually remove the locknut on the swing arm pins. This tool is a 36 mm box end and the socket end is 27 mm.

This small size feller gauge set belongs in the on board tool kit. It will do the job, is available at most dealers and is cheap.

This is a 10 x 12 box end wrench that serves well for several things. The 12mm end is great for valve adjustments, just add another 12mm, open end for that purpose. The job take two wrenches, an open end and a box end work well together.

Here are several tools from my on board tool kit. A file is always handy. And next to it is a hook pin wrench that tightens the slotted nut on the steering head bearing. This is a must have tool.

Charlie

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
UndeadJed OP
Lurker

I just got the bike Saturday so been going over it a bit at a time. And low and behold found this under the seat. Looks like a lot of the same tools In your photo images Charlie. Thank you

Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadJed View Post
Looks like a lot of the same tools In your photo images Charlie. Thank you

Did you get the manhole cover as well?
I used to have one in my kit but I broke it.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Disston has given you some good suggestions, but you will most likely need to grind the 27mm end of the combo 27/36mm BMW wrench in order to get it to fit the swingarm locknut. I suggest trying it before you need it out on the road. It doesn't really look strong enough for shop use. Recommended torque on that locknut should be around 77 ft-lb/105Nm. Grind a 27mm 1/2"-drive socket to fit.

A 22mm open or box end is handy to remove the axle locknuts. 24mm open end for the petcock union nuts.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,377
A complete on board tool kit is very nice. It is needed unless you are someone who can't fix anything anyway.

A variety of Shop Tools come next and you should get what's needed as time goes by. Almost every big job requires some special tool. Some riders carry a few Shop Tools on the road too.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Hello all. I'm in the planning stage of my 75R/6 cafe protect. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a specialty tools list. What I have so far is your basic metric/standard wrench socket sets. Modest amount of screwdrivers, torques, and allens. I have a exhaust nut wrench on order. What else might I need?
Big socket turned down a bit (you can use a hand grinder) for the swing arm locknuts. Set of 3/8" drive allen wrenches very handy. Minimum the one you need to torque the swing arm bearings. You may modify a 12mm 12point box/open end for torquing the trans to drive shaft bolts. Star drive to R&R the Big end bolts (get it later). Skip the head bearing puller. Very costly and unless you have bad steering bearings, you don't need it.

Set of Go/No-go feeler gauges.

The big, thin wrench for the steering bearing preload nut in some cases. see what you got. Check at a bicycle shop for this, from Park tool, used on older bicycle bottom bracket bearings. Or grind one.

You want the rod from the toolkit for removing the rear wheel. There is a cam surface built into the frame that the rod acts on. Make one from any sturdy rod that fits (loosely) through the hole in the rear axle, about 6" long.

Several cheap stiff toothbrushes.

A tube of Honda Moly 60 or similar.

You can make the alternator rotor puller bolt. You need an 8mm (I believe) grade 10 bolt (no less) with a smooth section on the shank of just the right length. You cut out the smooth part (carefully, don't mess up the hardening) then use this and your existing bolt in combination as a puller. Very portable but I doubt you'll be going cross country on a cafe.

I have a bunch of little home made stuff like things for rebuilding forks, pressing push rod tubes, etc. You accumulate as you go along.

One of the hook wrenches has a dipstick line on it for the drive shaft. You just need the dimension. Another has pins on it for fork caps. You can use an adjustable pin wrench or fab one.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Plaka is off on one point: the driveshaft to transmission flange bolts are 10mm/12pt, not 12mm.
The "big socket" for the swingarm locknut is 27mm.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,926
A good bit of wisdom I was told when I first got my bike.
Use only the tools to work on the bike that you carry on the bike. (Special tools not withstanding)

You will very quickly amass a collection of of very useful tools.

Non BMW specific tools that I've added that I have had to use regularly
12V test light
Short section of hacksaw with one end cut and filed rounded and the other cut and filed to a kind of sharp scraper.
Sand paper (I use a course finger nail file that's ~180grit wet or dry back with foam)
Needle nose vice grip pliers.

For home use tools that I couldn't live without while working on my airheads
4" bench vise
Dremel tool
Hand drill
Kroil (like liquid wrench, only kroil really works)
Impact driver, soft face hammer
Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
UndeadJed OP
Lurker

Thanks for mentioning the bench vice. I have been allotted a certain sq footage in the garage. Now I have confirmation that a real work bench is essential. The plywood laid across the washer and dryer doesn't meet my needs. Wife is a bit nutty, can't have a work bench but the make shift one is ok.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Wife is a bit nutty, can't have a work bench but the make shift one is ok.
Take her washing machine away until she comes around to your way of thinking.