User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,003
Stock Turn Signal Cheap Replacement-Yellow to White

Ok so I searched the threads and found nothing previous on this so here you go.

I wanted to convert the GF's yellow turn signals to white on her 658, just as her last bike was before being "caged" to death. My local Canadian BMW Dealer wanted $25 x 4, $100 Can + tax for the white lens and yellow bulbs only. Then I got the shpeil about needing the reflectors too ($$) as the fiche says "only in conjunction with" (diff pn but??). Well I went temporarily deaf just then and promptly left for the Doctor's for a check up. BTW, A&S BMW wants about $17 x 4 US so $68 + tax.

So being bored, I researched and found Xin City in Hamlton Ontario offering these:

http://xincity.ca/stock-signal-light...gnal-indicator

They are the same as the ones being offered on EBay for you US'rs.

So the price to my door, all up was $64 Can for 4 complete signals! I CANNOT see the difference between the stock BMW and these "aftermarket" ones. Both have the same markings and design, not just close enough. For the record, the BMW signals do not say BMW or have a BMW part number. They both have the CEV logo which leads me to believe they are from the same factory, same source.

The new ones are listed for the F800 GS models only which use the same 4 short stalks. The F650GS Twin uses 2 short on the back and two long on the front. The stalks are swapable but you only need to change the lens and bulb anyway plus the reflector if you want. The wiring remains unchanged. So if you dump your bike or just want the white look, this option is perfect, and cheap.

Took three weeks to come directly from China. I thought it would come from Hamilton in a week thereby fulfilling my Valentine's obligation. Nope. D'oh!

Haven't we paid enough already?

Cheap out!

The yellow lens is stock, but from an '09. I can't see the difference. Can you see the difference?

Reaver screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 06:47 PM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 105
Good find!

I filed that away for the day I need to replace one.
Thanks!

mike
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Nice. Even after a few years I'm still amazed at BMW'a parts pricing. Good on you for finding an acceptable alternative.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Thanks and I'm happy to pass that on. I've saved plenty of $ from all the tips here.

These signals will fit most of the late model BMW's as well. The heads are all interchangeable. I haven't looked at other makes but I bet they're more common than we think.

I would imagine shipping would cost the same wherever you live. I tracked my package from China. It landed in Alaska, travelled south to the lower 48, was processed in about 5 states and eventually back to my door near Toronto, Canada by Purolater. The claimed value was $20 US so $5 each. If you order one complete signal assembly piece by piece, A&S would charge nearly $80 + tax and shipping. X 4! My $64 Can all up means $16 each.

I fully believe in supporting the local shops but don't consider BMW to be local. More like LOCO!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
KTM250rm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I used the Weiser Led replacement inserts on my 2011 F800 GS to convert mine over from bulb to led. The 2011's came with clear lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F800-GS-...1ee393&vxp=mtr
KTM250rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
jttele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250rm View Post
I used the Weiser Led replacement inserts on my 2011 F800 GS to convert mine over from bulb to led. The 2011's came with clear lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F800-GS-...1ee393&vxp=mtr
Those look pretty cool, but they're even more expensive than the BMW led replacement signals.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Reaver OP
Trade Parts for Beer

Update

So being bored, I installed them today. Have to be careful with plastic and cold temps. One of the plastic bosses the screw threads into came pre-broken from shipping likely but a drop of kookoo glue fixed that easily. Not worth returning it.

The old signal housings had date markings on it that indicated some week of 2007. I believe all auto and bike OEM parts need a date marking on them for traceability. These "aftermarket" ones do not show a date. I found that it was best to just change the lens and bulb. The new housing was a tad bit loose on the original stalk and the reflector was real snug getting it to lock on the stalk. I attribute this to having been manufactured 5 years later rather than being a different design. It would have worked if needed. All in all, a nice cheaper way of doing it.

Now if only the snow would go away.