User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 171
Cost of speeding tickets compared, province by province

Here is a story I wrote last summer about the cost of speeding tickets across Canada, province by province. We just got around to publishing it last week. Hopefully the mods will not nuke this thread ... anyway, check it out.

I was surprised at the difference between provinces. It seems the major difference is photo radar; photo radar means lower-price tickets, but more of them. Provinces without photo radar tend to have more expensive tickets, but enforcement is much more slack.
Kawazacky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I guess I will be touring the Saskatchewan province soon. It seems safer to tour there than BC or Alberta.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Great post, it was an informative read.

Thank you !

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Mucho welcome.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
I drive/ride across Canada a fair amount. My experience has been you see one police per province generally and one police per hour in Ontario. This is daytime and not ghost cars. Not big cities, basically highway patrol. I watched it fairly close for a while, not so much lately. At this point I try to avoid as much of Ontario as I can due to the street racing ripoff. Certain areas of Ontario are real bad, they have one town that is a speed trap and a few other towns that are real bad for cops.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
I drive/ride across Canada a fair amount. My experience has been you see one police per province generally and one police per hour in Ontario. This is daytime and not ghost cars. Not big cities, basically highway patrol. I watched it fairly close for a while, not so much lately. At this point I try to avoid as much of Ontario as I can due to the street racing ripoff. Certain areas of Ontario are real bad, they have one town that is a speed trap and a few other towns that are real bad for cops.
I can agree with your experiences in my limited riding experience in Ontario. The 401 in particular is terrible.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 915
I wont argue that we have our fair share of cops here and they can be a bit disagreeable at times, but thats a pretty broad brush to paint such a large prov. with. I live in a fairly rural area so I dont see as many cops as some larger centers, but I also travel a lot . The 401 between SW Ont, and TO has a average speed in the 130 range, havent seen a ton of enforcement in that corridor. 403 is bad though, easier to patrol I guess and its also not unreasonable to see lots of enforcement on long summer weekend on all 400 series hwy.s, same most plsces Id think, those rd.s are no fun anyway. Like most places you need to keep you head up and be alert, theres speed traps in every jurisdiction and Im not aware of any prov. that has a free for all.

Yes the 50 over/stunting law is draconian and tantamount to roadside conviction, but try BC, it 40 over there, but I wouldnt avoid the beautiful riding there just because of that. It just reminds me of the "I hate Ont. because there is a city tucked way down at the south end I think I dont like" crowd. So I guess its fine if you dont ride in Ont. because of this, but its a shame as well your missing some outstanding riding in a prov. that changes so much from top to bottom.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
... but its a shame as well your missing some outstanding riding in a prov. that changes so much from top to bottom.

Yup, especially from the middle on upward. Here in Muskoka, I see the occasional OPP car, but I've found the fequency to be pretty reasonable.
I've been tagged once in the last half-dozen years. It was absolutely warranted. The officer dropped the figure by a dozen km/h from what his radar showed (and I had scrubbed speed by the time he got me). $55 - no points. Resulted in an increase in my rates of $55 / year.

If you can't afford a ticket - don't exceed the limit by more than a few km/h. Simple.

Funny thing is, I got the impression from the officer that I'd have walked if it had't been for the fact that he had a 'training officer' in the passenger side at the moment.

Having said all that - I don't venture down to the 401 on my bike very often. That's just nuts.

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,999
Back in the day I use to cut through Ontario to get to Vermont, NH and Maine mainly because we could go like hell without getting stopped. Go like hell for me is 80 to 90 mph. All day long. Fun! Never saw a mountie. I did get one ticket up by Tobermory for doing 120 K in a 90. My one and only ticket on a bike in over 40 years and it cost me $60 U.S.
exoff-roadgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wont argue that we have our fair share of cops here and they can be a bit disagreeable at times, but thats a pretty broad brush to paint such a large prov. with. I live in a fairly rural area so I dont see as many cops as some larger centers, but I also travel a lot . The 401 between SW Ont, and TO has a average speed in the 130 range, havent seen a ton of enforcement in that corridor. 403 is bad though, easier to patrol I guess and its also not unreasonable to see lots of enforcement on long summer weekend on all 400 series hwy.s, same most plsces Id think, those rd.s are no fun anyway. Like most places you need to keep you head up and be alert, theres speed traps in every jurisdiction and Im not aware of any prov. that has a free for all.

Yes the 50 over/stunting law is draconian and tantamount to roadside conviction, but try BC, it 40 over there, but I wouldnt avoid the beautiful riding there just because of that. It just reminds me of the "I hate Ont. because there is a city tucked way down at the south end I think I dont like" crowd. So I guess its fine if you dont ride in Ont. because of this, but its a shame as well your missing some outstanding riding in a prov. that changes so much from top to bottom.

Cheers, Todd
I used to travel from Montreal, through Ottawa, to North Bay and mostly north on Hw#11 to Thunder Bay than to Dryden and Kenora. Never been on the 401 or 400 series. I now turn south at Kenora to TB than north on Rt#11 to Kirkland Lake and into Que. In a car/truck I drive about 20 hr/day to get across Canada so can't count cops anymore. On a motorcycle I don't ride at night. Hate Ontario, well I sure don't like a few of the things they do? The street racing thing is crazy along with a lot of other things. Ontario seems to lead the pack and then the other provinces jump in with the crazy laws.
2004 Honda XR400R
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
CallMeBoog
Angry Canadian

Oddometer: 5,138
it's cheaper not to speed. I've never had a ticket.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

As I said - limited experience. 95 per cent of my riding, maybe more, has been on the east coast, where the traffic enforcement is very lax, for the most part. I'm sure it's the same in much of rural Ontario once you get far away from the GTA. But that's where most of Ontario is doing their riding ...

Quote:

Cheers, Todd
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Kawazacky OP
Mad Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
For some reason, motorcyclists seem to like speeding.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by H e a d N o r t h View Post

If you can't afford a ticket - don't exceed the limit by more than a few km/h. Simple.

It's take me many years to reach that understanding with myself
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
For some reason, motorcyclists seem to like speeding. [quote]

I have not had a speeding ticket in I guess 25 years, at least. This isn't about reckless speeding necessary (street racing law). I was almost busted because I stood up on the foot pegs of the bike while inside a town due to tight underwear/hot day/ATGATT. This is considered street racing and up to $10,000 fine. I was at or under the speed limit at the time on a BMW GS ADV.

Part of the issue for me is that too many towns do not have resume speed signs. You come into the town and say a mile before the town there is a reduce speed sign, you go through the town and observe the speed limit and exit the town, you drive and drive and no resume speed sign, so you go back up to speed and get nailed for 50 over, up to $10,000 fine. Cops on the side of the road are judge and jury game over, vehicle towed licence gone for a week. In Ontario the TCH is through every little hick town so this is over and over for 2500 Km. Every other province has a real highway through it, bypassing the little hick towns. I have drove near Kenora Ontario and seen like 10 cops in the area for example. I just about drove over a cop running down the side of the road so he could get into a better hiding spot with his radar gun, too funny. I have drove through hour long construction zones where there is reduced speed limits and not a construction machine in sight for the whole distance.
2004 Honda XR400R