User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
stevie88 OP
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,676
Hot weather gear

Today I had a chance to compare two different types of jackets, both ones I own, in high heat conditions. It was between 98 and 101 degrees today, the humidity was around 15% with a wind from the sw at 20 mph. The bike is a naked Griso.

Contestant 1. Motoport Riva mesh Kevlar with their full set of tri armor.

Contestant 2. Klim Badlands with D30 armor.

I made a 60 mile loop wearing each jacket with a cotton polo underneath.

The Kevlar mesh has been my go to gear for years but today surprised me a bit. The Badlands was more comfortable in the heat, it lets more air flow through its vents than the mesh flows with it's tri armor in place. In the mesh Kevlar I was sweating and clammy even at 80 mph. In the Badlands I was dry and comfortable with all the vents open and the collar folded back.

Perhaps one reason for this difference it in the fit of the two jackets. The Motoport has side panels of stretch Kevlar so it fits trim and snugly, holding the armor close to my body. The Badlands is a loser fit which allows more room for air to circulate.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
huguesfrederic
HF

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Today I had a chance to compare two different types of jackets, both ones I own, in high heat conditions. It was between 98 and 101 degrees today, the humidity was around 15% with a wind from the sw at 20 mph. The bike is a naked Griso.

Contestant 1. Motoport Riva mesh Kevlar with their full set of tri armor.

Contestant 2. Klim Badlands with D30 armor.

I made a 60 mile loop wearing each jacket with a cotton polo underneath.

The Kevlar mesh has been my go to gear for years but today surprised me a bit. The Badlands was more comfortable in the heat, it lets more air flow through its vents than the mesh flows with it's tri armor in place. In the mesh Kevlar I was sweating and clammy even at 80 mph. In the Badlands I was dry and comfortable with all the vents open and the collar folded back.

Perhaps one reason for this difference it in the fit of the two jackets. The Motoport has side panels of stretch Kevlar so it fits trim and snugly, holding the armor close to my body. The Badlands is a loser fit which allows more room for air to circulate.
Thanks for this comparison.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Be nice to know where you were riding, the 15% humidity is helpful though. I'd rather ride in Arizona at 105 than Florida at 85. In the humidity,no matter what speed, you get NO evaporative cooling, whereas in the desert you can take off with a wet tee shirt under a mesh jacket and be quite comfortable. Actually, in a low humidity super hot climate, I'd rather be in a textile jacket with vents and a wet tee shirt, good balance between airflow, evaporate cooling, and not drying the shirt out too fast. In humid climates, I'd rather start off in a dry tee shirt and a mesh jacket, and it still is going to suck.

I'm pretty sure that's the result you were getting at, although I've not ridden with either jacket you tested.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Were they both the same color? I find I'm often cooler in my light gray textile jacket with vents open than I am in my black mesh jacket. Then again, I'm in New England, and the 6 days a year it gets above 90 it comes with mucho humidity-o.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
I've been wearing my black Badlands jacket to commute to work with the temps at 105F-110F and it hasn't been all that bad. I zip it up except for the cuff sleeve and wear a pair of LD Comfort cool sleeves to keep me cooled down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
stevie88 OP
That's gotta hurt

Both jackets are black and I'm in west Texas

stevie88 screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 06:04 PM
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Fat Bear
Iron Butt #48477

Oddometer: 41
+1 on the Badlands. I've worn mesh and leather products in the past. The most comfortable for me in a wide range of temps so far is the Klim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Fat Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
You would think a $800+ jacket would have a air conditioner in it. bete
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,500
Get rid of the cotton underlayer and get a wicking underlayer such as LDComfort or a number of similar products.

Lightweight merino wool underlayer is also good for multiday rides as it does not get funky smelling,like some of the synthetics.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
stevie88 OP
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Get rid of the cotton underlayer and get a wicking underlayer such as LDComfort or a number of similar products.

Lightweight merino wool underlayer is also good for multiday rides as it does not get funky smelling,like some of the synthetics.

JR356
I seldom wear cotton when riding, you're preaching to the choir.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
lightfox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Has anyone compared a textile jacket with vents to a leather jacket with vents for this type of weather? That's what I'm deciding between now, and I could use any tips.
lightfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
Phogman
Lurking since 2004

Oddometer: 132
I bought a Revit Tornado this season and it is by far the coolest (as in temperature) jacket I have ever ridden in.

Almost comfortable in the midwest heat/humidity.