User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,171
Just an FYI.

I have two batteries from GOPro Hero2 owned two years.

No issue with batteries or recharging.

Camera is used at least once a week for min of two hrs, each use.
Love the gear
Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #17
Creation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I can chime in on this as well. Been a GoPro user since the first one came out. Was also a demo user of the first HD unit. ANY issues I have ever had, they have either sent me a new unit or repaired mine. Last time my GoPro 2 died on vacation in puerto rico I sent them an email and 2 days later they asked for where I was staying so they could send me a replacement unit ASAP. Sure enough the next day I had a new GP3 unit with a "send the old one back after your vacation, enjoy the tropics and always GoPro!- Aaron Stake"

Cant beat that service.
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
If not gopro, what other comparible cameras are there?

Im not asking to sound like gopro is the best of the best, but its pretty much the only "high end" camera I have heard of for mounting on helmets and bikes and whatnot.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Just another experience. I had my Gopro HD1 for about a year when my homemade stick mount broke when I crashed waterskiing. They said that they wouldn't cover it under warranty since it was not a factory approved mount. However, after I showed them pictures of what broke to validate my story, they gave me a coupon for 50% off any purchase.

So, I got an HD2 for half price.

Now, I'll be putting a floaty backdoor on my camera if I take it waterskiing again!

But, I lost my camera and it was mostly my fault. I applaud GoPro's customer service. They helped me out more than they had to.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post

Im not asking to sound like gopro is the best of the best, but its pretty much the only "high end" camera I have heard of for mounting on helmets and bikes and whatnot.

There's the Contour and Sony just came out with their action cam. They're somewhat comparable.

And there's the blatant knockoff - the Swann Freestyle. Which takes fine video for half the price. But, it's not quite the same quality.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
bmon
Go Thattaway

Oddometer: 97
Alternative to the GoPro Battery

I've seen this battery recommended often as an alternative to the GroPro battery. The Wasabi 2 pack & charger for $25 on Amazon.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-B...i+power+hero+3

I have purchased but have not had an opportunity to compare, at $25 bux for two batteries, charger, and includes cigarette plug, PLUS the batteries are 1200 mAh (versus 1050 mAh for the Gorpro) seems like a decent deal to me.
bmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,730
I purchased my GoPro2 March of last year, earlier this summer the thing stopped turning on (no damage and not that much use even before it died). I can get some lights if I fuck with it long enough. Tried lots of things (ie Bricked GoPro stuff) including e-mail exchanges with a GoPro rep. Talking to support folks over e-mail sucks they ask a stupid assed question, I respond within a couple of hours, then have to wait for the next day before they ask another one. A simple conversation takes a week. Ended up buying a new battery as they insisted that was the problem (It wasn't, so I'm out another $20 bucks). Long story short their troublshooting steps resulted in a "Sounds dead" response - Thanks asshole, I could have told you that much.

They don't repair these at all, and since i'm out of the warranty, the best they will do is give me a 20% trade in value if I send them the old unit and buy a new one via their website. I know they don't HAVE to stand behind their products after their warranty is up, but they shouldn't make a product that fails so soon for no apparent reason.

Not sure I'm gonna trade it in or not yet. But thought I'd vent for sure.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Good customer service, bad customer service. Product(s) work,
product(s) don't work. Most all of the customer service kudos are for how they dealt with the issues of their products.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a camera, especially since I have a trip in October to the Smokies, but issues like the ones listed here are scaring me off. I mean, that's a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't make riding better/easier. I'm afraid too wait, and afraid not to wait.

Just wish the quality issues were straightened out.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post

Contour works fine for me, waterproof out of the box. Slide it on my helmet and go. easy to operate with one hand while riding. Good video quality - comparable to GoPro of same generation IMO.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #25
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
Contour works fine for me, waterproof out of the box. Slide it on my helmet and go. easy to operate with one hand while riding. Good video quality - comparable to GoPro of same generation IMO.

Do you have video examples that you have made, and what cons do you find with Contour?
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
That's what I wanted to buy but the place where I was going to purchase it was out of stock or stopped selling that brand for whatever reason.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 477
I have a GoPro Hero and a Hero 2 and I have never had any issues with either one. If you go to the GoPro facebook page you will see a lot and I mean a lot of people complaining about the new GoPro Hero3. Smaller is a plus but they seem to have too many bugs in them for me. I think I'll stick with what I have and if I do decide to buy another action camera it just might be another brand, Contour or Drift.
Woodenveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
There's the Contour and Sony just came out with their action cam. They're somewhat comparable. ....
+1. I have both a Contour Roam 2 and a GP Hero 2. The video quality on the GP is *very slightly* better, but they are very similar for most eyes. The fisheye lenses on both aren't exactly something you'd shoot a Hollywood blockbuster on anyway. For still photos and stationary video nothing can touch an ordinary $150 10+ megapixel camera such a a CoolPix/etc from WalMart.

Several things about the Roam 2 made me buy it to semi-replace the GP Hero2:
1. Waterproof as-is without any plastic cases.
2. VERY simple to turn on / off with a gloved hand. This drove me NUTS on the Hero 2, even with the battery-sucking wireless remote.
3. Price: $200, and it even comes in pretty colors if that's your thing
4. Smaller frontal form factor and rotating lens to lessen the Tinky-Winky effect and wind drag when riding.

Of course there are cons as well such as: non-replaceable battery, poor mic, have to connect to a PC to change camera settings, expensive mounts that aren't as high quality as the GP's.

There is a huge gaping hole in the market here for a slim helmet camera that splits the differences between these two. I expect someone to fill it within a year or two.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #29
Reverse
Armchair Tough

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLD View Post
Do you have video examples that you have made, and what cons do you find with Contour?
I'll let Techmoan do it, his reviews are bullshit free and very informative. I agree with just about everything in his review:

Old 08-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #30
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Since I started this thread, I got the replacement batteries from GoPro, but since then one of those batteries has also gone bad. I need to email them again to see if they'll send another replacement.

I'm about ready to sell the camera. I don't really use it anymore, and I got a ContourROAM2 which is vastly better as a helmet cam since it has that very simple on/off switch. So if you don't need any of the fancier features, it's a good way to go.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote