ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #451
OldenSlow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks, good stuff. Hopefully it happens. Like I say, my kind of party and I have access to a house in WP, the main reason this ride caught my eye.

Gas Law: Bring gas, and you don't need it. Don't bring gas and *sputter* Running out of gas earns you deep sighs and smug looks from the "Giant Tank Guys"

I was wondering about 650 bikes. I have an XR650L that is great for the same speed/range reasons. But if I'm having a bad day at the controls, picking that beast up more than a couple times wears me out and my riding gets steadily worse -- snowball effect. If the terrain doesn't get too vertical, XRL is fine bouncing over rocks, plowing thru mud, knocking over small trees, and generally tractoring along. The steep and snotty/loose/technical combination is a big struggle (for me) on that bike. Is it pretty wet up there w/ snowmelt?

I know it's different each year, so maybe that's not a valid question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I did it with my GasGas EC300 2T, I took along extra fuel along with oil...used the oil never really needed the extra fuel so they got dumped coming back at the station in Lake George. Bike was much better without extra fuel bouncing around in saddled bags. I got great range out of my stock GasGas tank but I also have a SmartCarb and you pick up some mpg with that.

I have not heard from Pablo83....I hope it goes on. I might use the 2014 KLR650 if this ride don't conflict with another event with the KLR signed out on. Otherwise probably go back to my XR650R as I do like the ability to haul butt ;-)
OldenSlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #452
Jayrod1318
Probably drunk

Oddometer: 1,336
Did I see a buffet? Wow! Impressive planning.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #453
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldenSlow View Post
Thanks, good stuff. Hopefully it happens. Like I say, my kind of party and I have access to a house in WP, the main reason this ride caught my eye.

Gas Law: Bring gas, and you don't need it. Don't bring gas and *sputter* Running out of gas earns you deep sighs and smug looks from the "Giant Tank Guys"

I was wondering about 650 bikes. I have an XR650L that is great for the same speed/range reasons. But if I'm having a bad day at the controls, picking that beast up more than a couple times wears me out and my riding gets steadily worse -- snowball effect. If the terrain doesn't get too vertical, XRL is fine bouncing over rocks, plowing thru mud, knocking over small trees, and generally tractoring along. The steep and snotty/loose/technical combination is a big struggle (for me) on that bike. Is it pretty wet up there w/ snowmelt?

I know it's different each year, so maybe that's not a valid question.

Um, it's one of those deals where you plan closer as far as weather. I will say I liked having the GasGas in some of the rougher parts on the way back, that one trail out of Breckenridge that was very steep, wet and muddy it was nice to be able to change lines, and get my way up.

A XR650L should have no issues and going there is the easier route to keep the time for the FOOD. And yes I was amazed at the deal Paul got with the restaurant and they were OKAY with us coming in. It's nice in a town like that they were very PRO off road and hosting us.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #454
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I have not heard from Pablo83....I hope it goes on.
I'm still alive. And despite my new job, I am still planning to put on BreckTrek again this year.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #455
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
I'm still alive. And despite my new job, I am still planning to put on BreckTrek again this year.

modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #456
OldenSlow
Adventurer

and there was much rejoicing

Hope I can make it!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #457
brav
Falls-alot

Oddometer: 140
IN.

Looking forward to it.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #458
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 897
I had a great time. I hope I can do it again.
http://motodelmundo.blogspot.com/
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #459
Stel67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Woo Hoo got a new bike for the ride this year gonna be epic!
Bike is getting inspected on Wednesday then its off to the DMV for my plates

Stel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #460
JLD50
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Looking forward to it!

My first Breck Trek was 2013; one the best rides I've ever been on. Weather was perfect, kept most of the dust down. Great navigation system, great fun. I'm definitely in.
JLD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #461
OldenSlow
Adventurer

What date?

jus' checking
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #462
grizCP
DROC

Oddometer: 224
Traditionally, Father's Day weekend. I don't think Pablo has nailed this down yet...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #463
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizCP View Post
Traditionally, Father's Day weekend. I don't think Pablo has nailed this down yet...
We gonna have a real rally - distance/time group this year? Give the singletrack/technical guys a head start (so we get there at the same time for lunch), set a standard for fastest round trip time on dirt?

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 02-22-2014 at 08:47 AM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #464
Brad991
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Eek

I am looking forward to attending this year. Hopefully my travel schedule will alloy me to twist the throttle on this ride.
1997 Suzuki GSXR 750R
1972 Honda SL70
Brad991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #465
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
We gonna have a real rally - distance/time group this year? Give the singletrack/technical guys a head start (so we get there at the same time for lunch), set a standard for fastest round trip time on dirt?

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I have been known to speed and be a general hooligan on a bike.
But when a race is involved, or some contest on who can beat who to wherever, it will end badly for someone.
A nasty head on in the single track, a fade into the ditch on a county road, Ect. Two groups sounds great, but I wouldn't do some" see who can get there first" ride.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote