ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #61
grizCP
DROC

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
What are you talking about? We're all outfitted for ice racing. We'll tear up those snow packed trails!!!
Emphasis on snow PACKED trails.
grizCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizCP View Post
Awesome! I'd say you could join me on the BreckTrek gimp squad, but I'm sure you're already in better riding shape than me.
Is there going to be a short-bus group again? I'll be in for some of the first 717 quad track again this year, since last year's BT was my first time riding on any sort of trail and only my forth ride ever, and I want to see if I've improved...but I have no interest in riding Georgia pass ever again, especially west-bound. Maybe Boreas pass as an alternate for some of us? As I recall, it dumps out right at the gas station on the south end of town.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #63
grizCP
DROC

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Is there going to be a short-bus group again? I'll be in for some of the first 717 quad track again this year, since last year's BT was my first time riding on any sort of trail and only my forth ride ever, and I want to see if I've improved...but I have no interest in riding Georgia pass ever again, especially west-bound. Maybe Boreas pass as an alternate for some of us? As I recall, it dumps out right at the gas station on the south end of town.

As far as I know (and I'm planning on), there is going to be a group that does an alternate route home (which I will most likely lead) - instead of even trying to meet up with Paul's group again, we are going to head straight back to Woodland with a goal of getting in before dark.
grizCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #64
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizCP View Post
As far as I know (and I'm planning on), there is going to be a group that does an alternate route home (which I will most likely lead) - instead of even trying to meet up with Paul's group again, we are going to head straight back to Woodland with a goal of getting in before dark.
Sounds do-able. Ian and I rode from Lake George to Breck and back at last year's Westfest, with 90% dirt via Boreas and Georgia Passes (stopping for lunch in Breck), and had plenty of daylight. Plenty of rain too.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #65
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I am not sure what the outcome of this ride will be, but after reviewing last years thread there are a couple things I know for sure....I will be the shortest dude there and I will be riding the smallest bike. Hmm.
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #66
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabOneUp View Post
I am not sure what the outcome of this ride will be, but after reviewing last years thread there are a couple things I know for sure....I will be the shortest dude there and I will be riding the smallest bike. Hmm.
I don't think being short will have any disadvantages on this ride. What are you riding?

Didn't we have an XT225 join us one year? I don't think he made it too far, but that's because he busted early and never got his groove back.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #67
KevinColorado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
I am not sure what the outcome of this ride will be
that's funny... I say that every time I ride with Ryan
KevinColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #68
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
[QUOTE=Pablo83;20887213]I don't think being short will have any disadvantages on this ride. What are you riding?[/"QUOTE]

A Husky TE250. I am still optimistic and know I will have a great time. Besides, it may be way to my advantage....I'll be so far behind that I won't have to ride in the huge dust cloud!.

I am going to check my fuel range too when I get a chance. I think 75 miles is right at the end of my range when I ride it hard. I will bring a small fuel bottle just in case.

The JB weld thing cracks me up. I sort of thought it was just a joke until I heard about a guy who knocked a hole in his case and made it home using JB weld and a quarter to plug the hole. It was the dry time that threw me off. I have used it in the past and had to let it dry overnight and that would be impossible for a trail side repair in this type of ride. I finally saw that they have a 6 minute dry time formula and I picked it up. I am already learning from this ride and it is far from beginning. Thanks Paul!
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #69
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
I don't think being short will have any disadvantages on this ride. What are you riding?

Didn't we have an XT225 join us one year? I don't think he made it too far, but that's because he busted early and never got his groove back.
Any plans on the single track being back in?
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #70
caustin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So, how bad of an idea would this be for a new rider on a drz400e to give this a shot? I've only been riding for a little over a month now. And that's mostly pavement going to and from school. I'd be pulling out in Breck to stay with some friends that live in the area.
caustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #71
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
A Husky TE250.
We've had at least a couple CRF250s finish BT. I bet the Husky can handle it just fine.

Quote:
The JB weld thing cracks me up. I sort of thought it was just a joke until I heard about a guy who knocked a hole in his case and made it home using JB weld and a quarter to plug the hole. It was the dry time that threw me off. I have used it in the past and had to let it dry overnight and that would be impossible for a trail side repair in this type of ride. I finally saw that they have a 6 minute dry time formula and I picked it up. I am already learning from this ride and it is far from beginning. Thanks Paul!
I think every year on the MonkeyButt at least one person has used JB weld to fix their bike. Last year I used it to reattach a broken foot peg. The quick drying stuff is definitely a requirement. Waiting 6 hours for the regular stuff to set up is usually not an option.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #72
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Any plans on the single track being back in?
No.

There will be some new ST opening in Breck next year so I've considered doing a more difficult BT (with Red Cone, Radical hill, and other such silliness), but that's a long way off.

If I added ST to the current route and didn't pre-screen the riders there would be a 90% attrition rate and I think most people would find it miserable.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #73
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by caustin View Post
So, how bad of an idea would this be for a new rider on a drz400e to give this a shot? I've only been riding for a little over a month now. And that's mostly pavement going to and from school. I'd be pulling out in Breck to stay with some friends that live in the area.
You definitely need some trail experience; and not just Forest Service roads. Hopefully the trails will start melting out by the end of the month and you can go check out the 717 area and see how many miles of quad track you can put up with. Then you'll be able to judge your ability to participate in this ride much more accurately.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #74
PigTrail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Distance between fuel stops? My plated 2T likes the juice.
PigTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #75
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

What bike should I bring?

Bike Requirements:
1) A LICENSE PLATE.
2) A WORKING headlight; we will be getting back after dark (plan on 10:00pm).
3) An OHV tag.
4) A minimum cruising speed of 55 MPH.
5) At least an 80 mile fuel range.

Almost any small dualsport will do. The 250-650cc thumpers tend to be the best. The better your suspension is, the easier the ride will be.

Conditions range from steep and loose, to tight and technical, with two very short sections of paved highway and lots of wide open flat dirt roads in between. There will be lots of whoops, roots, rocks and ruts in the technical parts.

Great bikes for the ride:
KTM RFS bikes, WR450F, DR350, CRF450X, XR650R, XR400, XR600. But remember, rider ability has much more to do with success rate than the bike you bring.

Notable bikes:
One KLR650 has attempted BT and didn't get too far (but you’re welcome to give it a try).
Four KTM 950’s have joined over the years; one finished, but it was brutal (way to go, Ryan).
One KTM 640 Adv tried it and succeeded, but once again, it was difficult.
At least one CRF250X has completed BT over the years. I believe the smallest to attempt it was an XT225, but it did not finish.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 12:32 PM