User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
bajarider1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Pannier Advice

Okay, I am ready to purchase a pannier system for my 2011 990 Adventure.

Right now, I plan on using them 2-3 day trips with some off road. I don't know how far I will venture off road with this bike but I may do more down the road. I will probaby take a few trips each year but I mainly ride my Adventure locally and for day trips. (I want something lockable too.)

I have narrowed my choices down to 3. I've included my thoughts on each, however I wanted to get everyones views and opinions on them as well.

1. Carbiou side luggage system. (This sytem is the least expensive and I like that they are plastic and durable but not too fond of the looks though.)

2. KTM adventure case (Gobi) set with Quicklock system. (This system is priced in the middle and I like the looks and seemed to be pretty durable. Plus I really like the Quicklock system so I can remove the rack for normal everyday use of my bike. However I hear that they are pretty wide and you tend to hit things with them.)

3. Jesse luggage system. (This is the most expensive, but seem to have good reviews and I like that you have the ability to adjust them forward or back for weight distribution. Also the overall weight is carried lower than the other two. I don't know about the long term durability of these. How easy are the racks to install and remove?)

I know that each system has pro and cons depending what you intend to use them for but I would be most appreciative hear what you have to say from your expereiences.

Thanks for you help!
bajarider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
KEELAYMONSTER
BRRAAAAPPP!!!

Oddometer: 138
I only have Experience with the Gobi's. If you do a lot of tight roads, lane splitting or 2-track trails I would not recomend them. Lets just say with them installed on my 06 950 A, the bike was wider than my 08 Honda Goldwing!

Also for how big they are there really isnt that much room inside because of how thick they are. Just my .02
Kyle Montagne #141K
KEELAYMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Are the Gobi's extra durable? I have heard that they survive crashes that might take out other luggage... Any truth to this, or just hype? Thanks - as I am also looking at luggage for my 990r, and have been leaning toward the Gobi's from the standpoint of durability... But I don't really know.

I have also heard that they are butt ugly, so when you crash, they don't really get any more ugly than they were pre crash... This was presented as a plus... Which makes me think maybe I should reconsider the types of folks I hang around with...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
I have the Hepko Gobis. Mine are the old style that are grey. They came with my bike. Hate them. They are just way too wide. The prior owner of my bike had a small off and damaged the bottom of the shifter side bag. The box survived, but it was pretty scarred up.

I've always, always liked putting Pelican cases on bikes. You can buy Pelicans off of eBay pretty cheap and make your own mounts. Here's a shot of my latest setup:

It just takes some effort to figure out how to mount them securely to the bike. After I took this picture I removed the vacuum relief valves and installed weather sealed locks on all three cases. Look around on the web and you will find stories of people who have crashed a bike with Pelicans . . . and the Pelicans survived. Pretty impressive.

Now the Jesse cases. Those are just plain cool looking.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Soft luggage is worth considering

I realize this stuff is not on your short list, but the newest Wolfman offering is pretty
nice, is waterproof, and holds a lot too.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861498

Also the Adventure Spec Magadan panniers are looking very good, and were
designed with input from a guy who has "been there and done that" ( Colebatch ).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791703

Of course soft luggage won't break your leg in a fall as easily as hard luggage
will but not everyone views this as a drawback

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I realize this stuff is not on your short list, but the newest Wolfman offering is pretty
nice, is waterproof, and holds a lot too.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861498

Also the Adventure Spec Magadan panniers are looking very good, and were
designed with input from a guy who has "been there and done that" ( Colebatch ).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791703

Of course soft luggage won't break your leg in a fall as easily as hard luggage
will but not everyone views this as a drawback

If you are going to add soft luggage into the mix... you should also consider the Kriega Overland30 or Overland60
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I have used caribou for many trips on and off road. They hold up and take a beating, and stay watertight.
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
I have Gobis, take em everywhere. For me, the most important feature is having a top loading box. Ive had side loading systems like Pelicans are a pita to arrange your gear and hard to get to. If your making your own system, ammo boxes come in a wide variety of sizes, they are tough and water tight.
Scott Baja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
There are pro's and cons to hard and soft luggage and I use one or the other depending on the ride. For my hard luggage I chose Happy trail Denali boxes since they are very narrow compared to other hard luggage options. The boxes are just over 34 inches wide mounted on the bike yet are 47 liters per side. They are easily banged back into shape if required and have maintained their waterproofness due the simple lid design. The only down side is they don't look as good as the Jesse bags if that matters to you. I mounted mine a little higher and tilted forward a bit for extra clearance compared to the standard mounting they offer.

http://www.happy-trail.com/KTM-950-9...M-950-990.aspx

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 437
My experience says Wolfman soft bags.

bajarider1,
I first bought Givi Plastic side cases and racks. On my first trip across the Northern Nevada back country I caught a sage bush and one case ripped off and the racks were bent. That might just be a Givi thing as it's plastic and wimpy metal racks. But it caused me to go down and I had to strap the cases back on. My luggage was a PITA the rest of the trip.

After lots of reading on the OC I replaced the hard cases with Wolfman soft side bags and racks. Also got a big Wolfman duffle to ride on top. I think it all fits the bike well. I have plenty of room to fit all my long distance camping gear, etc. inside. Now the bags just slip by the brush without hanging up and the racks are very durable. I have crashed them several times with no real damage except scratches. This gear is very rugged and I think the wise way to go if you are doing any off road. KJ
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Phil in K.C.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I have Gobi's....but I prefer these...

.[IMG][/IMG]

Wolfman Expeditions...They say you can break a leg with hard boxes...I don't want to find out.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff......Frank Zappa
Phil in K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,698
I've owned Gobi, Pelican (Caribou) a slew of soft bag options (wolfman, dirtbagz, no name) and now Jesse's and the Jesse's are by far my favorite.

They have just about the perfect combination of size, riding/mounting position and load capacity. At 41L, they are plenty large, but with a narrow profile (36in), lots of ground clearance and I love the fact that you can adjust them forward and back a full 12in which makes them unique among their competitors.

The Pelican's are also quite nice, but much less load capacity, and the side opening bags are kind of annoying., I used large pannier bag liners, and so at least everything woujldn't come tumbling out when opening. I would give the edge to Pelican however if ruggedness is a concern.. like if your going to be riding in places with lots of boulders or tight single track between trees and other obstacles, probably would take a beat down better then any aluminum box made.. otherwise, Jesse's are muy good!
John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I had Jesse on my A990 and fully plan on putting Jesse on my Super Tenere. Very high quality, and very sturdy.
Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
The advantage of the Gobis is that they will hopp off in case you hit something. I was getting too close to a tree once and the bag popped off, so they have a "build in" force limiter. I ended up in the ditch anyway, but the frame was not damaged.

I sold the 990 last year and got a 690 Enduro R, so now I am using soft luggage (Wolfman, soon also Enduristan) because of the much lower weight.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicbiker View Post
The advantage of the Gobis is that they will hopp off in case you hit something. I was getting too close to a tree once and the bag popped off, so they have a "build in" force limiter. I ended up in the ditch anyway, but the frame was not damaged.
good point.. hehe. Happened a couple of times on mine. it usually breaks the lock, so make sure to carry some safety wire with you in order to keep them on till you get back home.. and the locks are relatively cheap and easy to replace.. there's even a step by step write up somewhere around here

John 5:24

CMA Fast Lane Forums

robdogg screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:59 PM
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote