Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Roadracer_Al OP
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,429
Sitka Alaska

Hey there -

My wife and I are going to Sitka Alaska, and we'll be riding up from the Bay Area.

We're planning on taking 10 days to get up there, so we'll have some sight-seeing time. We're thinking about taking the ferry back to Bellingham (for variety) -- that will get us spectacular views of the coast.

Anyone have experiences, advice, or local knowledge about any segment of the trip north of, say, Seattle? Border crossing, which roads are dirt, which maps are good, weather, bugs, road hazards, wildlife, camping, hiking... whatever you think it worth mentioning.

a
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!

Roadracer_Al screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 11:35 AM
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Make sure you have your passport, more so for reentry into US.

Make your reservations for ferry back early

Take good rain gear.

There are many things to see and do on way, leave yourself some layover time to explore and relax. Once you get into BC and AK you'll want to relax and drink it all in.

Buy the Destinations Highways guide for BC, priceless resource to get info on distances, shops, campgrounds, best roads. twisties etc.
http://www.destinationhighways.com/default.htm
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8lin View Post
Make your reservations for ferry back early
Not just back...but for the trip there, too. Remember, Sitka is on an island, only accessible by the ferry system. Prince Rupert is probably the closest ferry terminal. More info here.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
see my recent post r.e. using AK ferry adventures to schedule the ferry-worked great for us! Getting off at various locations in SE AK is fun too. I say no cabin-sleep on rear deck in deck lounge or tent with sleeping bag
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Roadracer_Al OP
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,429
We almost pulled a bonehead move - we were looking at the map on the ferry site and thought, Gee, that's strange -- why does everyone keep saying to get the ferry from Pr. Rupert, why not just hop on in... wait for it...

Juneau.

We didn't realize that Juneau is not accessible by land... doh. We've got a lot to learn about Alaska.

I've been reading ride reports and the Alaska local forum, it's been very educational.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

We made stops @ Juneau,& Ketchikan-there we did a wilderness cabin fly in trip for fish & hiking. other than what the map tells you, SE AK is mostly "ferryland" but well worth to go there as definitely one of the most beautiful parts of AK. Kenai penninsula is my other fave. Far better to go where there is scenery & fishing,hiking,etc., than to do the haul road to much less beauty & a belt notch gravel road trip north.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

There are actually two ferries that call @ Prince Rupert -AK Marine Hwy & B.C.,CA ferry which also calss at Bella Coola which is not landlocked. great ride into or out of there, esp. if you use the ferry in one direction. The B.C. ferry comes up from Port Hardy on Vancouver Isl. headed N.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,971
Yeah figure anywhere in SE you'll need to get there by boat or plane. If'n where me I'd get into the SE ferry system at either Skagway or Haines. Both accessible by road and both have daily runs to Juneau from which you can catch a boat to Sitka. Sitka's a great little burg but not a lot of roads. I used to live in SE AK (Pelican). Last I was in Sitka was prolly 1992 and the longest road was 12 miles long. I think today they have more cruise ship docks than roads.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote